Author Topic: 15 week old waking every hour from 2am onwards!  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Khansen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
15 week old waking every hour from 2am onwards!
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:53:49 am »
I'm new to the boards and hoping I can get some help....

DS has been on EASY since he was 3 weeks old. He is currently 15 weeks old and was sleeping through the night from 7pm to 6am with DF at 10.30. Recently, he has started waking every hour from 2am onwards. The first night this happened, I intially thought it was hunger and fed him, but he only took about 40ml and fell asleep till about 3.30 when he woke again. I gave him his paci and sshh/pat till he fell asleep. At 4.30 he was up again and I thought this might defintely be hunger and it seemed like it was as he drained his bottle (150ml).  He then fell asleep till the 7am wake up. 

I've increased the volume on all his bottles in the day to make sure he is getting enough calories in the day, but it hasn't helped.  I've been doing this for over a week now and not sure if its hunger that's waking him up as he is not draining his bottles during the day, but still waking up atleast 3 or 4 times in the night. I don't feed him at night anymore, instead try to shh/pat and give him the paci to help him go back to sleep, which works most of the time. I haven't started PU/PD yet, but thinking it might be the next step to help him settle to sleep.

I'm also worried the paci might have become a prop for him as he struggles to fall asleep without it. Once he is asleep, he spits it out and is able to keep sleeping. Not sure, if I should try weaning him from it?

Its gotten to a point, where I sleep in my bed from 11pm - 2am, then from 2am onwards, I am sleeping on the floor in my DS's room since I am up so often. Its defintely not helping my relationship with DH.

We are also battling the 45minute naps as well, not sure if that is playing a part in the night wakings and we have recently transitioned from the 3hr EASY to 3.5hr EASY and working towards the 4hr EASY.

I'm sorry this is all over the place - I just can't work out what is causing these night wakings and would really appreciate some help in resolving this.

K

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 08:59:29 am by Khansen »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 15 week old waking every hour from 2am onwards!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 15:36:01 pm »
Can you post your current routine? That would really help identify any issues.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 16:51:15 pm »
Yes, please post your sch.  Also you may want to check out this link.  It discusses the difference between a prop and a comfort item. 
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67676.0
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Khansen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:22:56 am »
Thanks for the reply. I will check out the link for the paci.

LO's routine is as follows for the most part (some days are better than others!)

Wake between 6:30 & 7
E - 7ish - 200ml
A - 7.20 - 8.30 (hang out with dad while dad gets ready for work)
S - 8.45 - 9.30. I then have to go back in and reinsert paci & shh/pat and can get another 30 - 45mins
E - 10.45 - 11ish - 200ml
A - 11ish - 12.15 (play under the gym or on the floor, tummy time, sit in the garden and watch the trees, read a book)
S - 12.30 - 1.15. I then have to go back in and reinsert paci & shh/pat and can get another 30 - 45mins
E - 3ish - 200ml
A - 3.15 - 4.30/4.45 (go for a walk, sit with mum while dinner is prepared, go to play group)
S - Catnap of 30 - 45mins around 5pm
6pm - kicking without diaper, bath/shower, massage, story & bottle (200ml)
He is usually asleep by 7.15pm every night
DF - 10.30 - 200ml

I don't swaddle him anymore as he has found his hands (not his fingers yet) and sleeps in a grobag.  He does use a paci and soft blanket to fall asleep. Once he is in the 3rd stage, I will pull out the paci and he drifts off.

I am very strict about the 6pm bath and 7pm bedtime and make sure we are home in time do that. I figure if the rest of the day goes to pieces, we atleast have something that is consistent.

I am working on increasing his awake time slowly. He is not happy to stay up longer in the morning, but as the day goes on, he can stay up a little bit longer at each cycle.

He is forumula fed and doesn't always drain his bottles. There are a couple of feeds during the day when he will leave about 20ml in the bottle. I know he is getting enough food and he is gaining weight steadily. In the last month, he put on a kilo of weight. I figure he's defintely not starving ;D

I wish I knew what was causing these wakings - it happened again last night!

Thanks for all your help ladies - I really appreciate it.
K

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:42:25 am »
Do you put the paci in at night as well? 

Offline Khansen

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:54 am »
Yes, I do. I initially use it to see if its hunger. If he falls asleep straight away with it, then I know its not hunger and pull it out. If it doesn't seem to hold him off, then I feed him.

I checked out the link about props and feel that the paci may have become a prop. He doesn't know how to fall asleep without it at every nap and bedtime. I am thinking that weaning him from it might help.  He can scream pretty loudly so I better be prepared for it.

I feel so bad for my DS - he looks so tired in the morning when he wakes as he just hasn't had a restful sleep.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:45:49 am by Khansen »

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 15:30:38 pm »
If you think it has become a prop then I would rec getting rid of it. Not fun but it will probably help.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 17:22:14 pm »
I agree, I think the paci is a prop.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o