Author Topic: 6 MO night waking after sleeping 8-11 hours from 2 MO!  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 6 MO night waking after sleeping 8-11 hours from 2 MO!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 23:36:19 pm »
Quote from: babyshamble
whoa - ok, that makes me feel a little bit better, believe it or not...  So, why do you think that pu/pd doesn't work for some babies?  And how do i know if it does, or do i have to wait the 2 weeks to find out?  Sorry to bombard you with questions, but then what did work for you?

Colin is very, very spirited and PU/PD often doesn't work with a spirited LO. It doesn't take much to wind them up so the act of it is too stimulating, if that makes sense. When I tried it, it made things much worse because what he wanted was to get up and keep hanging out, so every time I would PU he thought I was getting him up. When I would PD, it was unspeakably horrid. :P 

It's hard to say how you know if you're getting anywhere. :-\   If you aren't 100% sure either way you certainly can give it two weeks or more and see where you're at then. But, I'm a big believer in following instincts, and if your gut and mommy sense is telling you that it's not getting you anywhere (legitimately and not just the exhaustion making excuses, teehee) then that's enough IMO.

What we did was a modified shhh/pat, for an absurdly long time. Colin couldn't handle the patting, it was too stimulating as well, so we would lay one arm across his knees (not really restraining, just touching if that makes sense) and the other across his chest and shhhhh. That worked very well for us. So don't be afraid to modify techniques or try something different!

I've been so torn with wanting to make the 'right' decision with Eden - I just don't want to let her down or not do the best that i can, but i have found myself trying to make a choice based on all the other options being 'wrong' which isn't the right attitude as I have a friend on either extremes who I wouldn't want to offend.  Anyway, i am rambling because of sleep deprivation!

I totally hear you. Parenting isn't instinctual in terms of what to do but I really wish it was. There's a lot to consider - temperment, your sanity, long-term benefits, short term misery, and of course risking disaster.  ;)  But that's what we're all here for around here, to help you decipher a logical course to take and support you through it. :)

Last night was pretty terrible, i ended up getting quite frustrated and had a bit of a one-sided argument with Eden thinking that if I just say it enough time she might actually 'Go To Sleep!'.  She was up again at about 12.30am and settled quickly.  THen she was up at 2.30am and with some patting went to sleep, but as soon as the patting stopped (even if i waited about 5 minutes after she seemed sound asleep) she was pushing up and crying.  at about 4am i gave up, tried lying next to the cot while she screamed but it was too much, so i took her onto my mattress.  Even then she wouldn't settle, took a full feed and still wouldn't settle. 

I'm sorry if I already asked this before, but are there or could there be any medical issues going on? Tummy upset? Reflux?

I thought maybe it was her tummy as she had quite a bit of food yesterday (including tofu and strawberries). 

OK how did you get her to eat tofu?!?!?! I've been trying to get Colin to eat it for a year and he will have nothing to do with it.

I am looking at the pu/pd forum now, and I am not feeling like giving up, amazingly because I tend to give up quite easily when things don't come easily.  But, i am getting pretty tired.  And in my gut I just don't feel like the level of screaming is 'right', i wish that bw came with consultants that did home visits!  ;)

I'm glad you're not tempted to give up. BW really is a lot of work and EASY is not always easy!! I can tell you firsthand though that the benefits are absolutely worth the work. Really. Colin has never really been a great sleeper and the early days were hell. Before his reflux was diagnosed he really never slept. For any decent length of time anyway.... we were awake for I swear three months straight. I was a basket case, crying all the time, he screamed all the time (DUH mom take me to the doctor maybe  ::) ) and DH was on the edge of insanity. I found this site when I googled Tracy's name the night before I was supposed to go back to work. I was so utterly desperate that I was GOING to get a consultation with her no matter what it took. Come to find out she had passed  :'(  so I posted here and the rest is history. It did take a lot of work to get Colin to sleep independently, but granted part of it was reflux related. Now he's Mr. Independent sleep. He won't sleep anywhere near anyone or out of the normal routine unless he's sick, and we don't even do a wind-down - just into bed and night night.  8)  8)  I never thought things would be so easy. So now that I've rambled, keep your faith and don't give in!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline babyshamble

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • 'i am fearfully and wonderfully made' Psalm 139
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2007, 10:36:35 am »
haha - i thought that Eden was an angel bordering on textbook baby and she totally is during the day - falls asleep as soon as I put her in her cot no problems for at least 1.5hrs... 

I have a feeling that she's getting confused, and i don't blame her, poor thing.  I think you're right in that i need to give it two weeks to see if she is just getting used to the change or if it really isn't working for her (maybe one week =).  So, when you put your hand on Colin to reassure him how long would it take you?  I'm asking because the patting worked each time i did it last night, but 3-5 minutes after she was sleeping i would stop and surprise! she was up again.  I'm thinking maybe i should sit for 20 minutes, if i remember correctly Tracy mentioned that was the time it takes to transition to deep sleep.

I read today that if they stand to turn them round, bend their knees and help them back down and just repeat that over and over - is this a true pd? 

Either I'm going crazy (finally!) or something has clicked but I have felt so good the last three days since i decided to be earnest about this - it's really weird, but I feel like I'm getting some confidence back (i totally get the crying thing you mentioned).  We tried CC for 5 days and i think that really bruised me as I was almost kicking and screaming to give her a cuddle as soon as i heard her crying (i have been seeing a counsellor to deal with my fear for Eden's safety and irrational worrying since her birth so it probably wasn't the best thing to even go near).

hmmm... now that you explained your reflux story may i should look into it with Eden.  But...it's only at night and it's out of nowhere.  I should probably do that check up though...

Thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 15:41:08 pm »
I have a feeling that she's getting confused, and i don't blame her, poor thing.  I think you're right in that i need to give it two weeks to see if she is just getting used to the change or if it really isn't working for her (maybe one week =).  So, when you put your hand on Colin to reassure him how long would it take you?  I'm asking because the patting worked each time i did it last night, but 3-5 minutes after she was sleeping i would stop and surprise! she was up again.  I'm thinking maybe i should sit for 20 minutes, if i remember correctly Tracy mentioned that was the time it takes to transition to deep sleep.

At first it would take a long time, like 45 minutes or even longer. But after sticking with it the time lessened and lessened until we didn't even need it anymore. There was a phase of regression though where all of a sudden we were doing it a long time again, but that's normal with any sort of sleep training.

I read today that if they stand to turn them round, bend their knees and help them back down and just repeat that over and over - is this a true pd? 

This is mainly recommended for LOs that have just learned to stand and don't know how to get back down yet. Doing that helps them learn the skill and also to lay back down themselves without needing you. So if your LO knows how to get back down don't bother, just do regular PD.

Either I'm going crazy (finally!) or something has clicked but I have felt so good the last three days since i decided to be earnest about this - it's really weird, but I feel like I'm getting some confidence back (i totally get the crying thing you mentioned).  We tried CC for 5 days and i think that really bruised me as I was almost kicking and screaming to give her a cuddle as soon as i heard her crying (i have been seeing a counsellor to deal with my fear for Eden's safety and irrational worrying since her birth so it probably wasn't the best thing to even go near).

It does help your mindset to make a decision and go forward with it rather than feeling lost and unsure. :)  Good for you for seeking some counseling though, so many people are embarrassed to do it even when they know it's right. But really, as new moms we worry, and that's just how it is. I had some irrational things going on too - I wouldn't put Colin down for anything. No idea why, I just had this strong feeling that he wasn't to be put down during the day, he needed to be held all the time. ::)  It didn't do any of us any favors and I knew that other people did it, but for some reason I just couldn't.

hmmm... now that you explained your reflux story may i should look into it with Eden.  But...it's only at night and it's out of nowhere.  I should probably do that check up though...

He probably doesn't, but it can't hurt to ask. At least it plants the seed that his sleep is bad enough that you are thinking about things, KWIM?
Jessica

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2007, 21:21:41 pm »
How're things??
Jessica

Offline babyshamble

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 00:19:24 am »
hmmm... well i don't know if things are going well or not!  Eden is still waking up once a night at about 3.30am.  Some nights she just has some pain relief for her gums and goes to sleep until 5am when she is wide awake and wanting her first feed.  Last night though, she just wouldn't go back to sleep, it was noisy outside, and after about half an hour i took her to the mattress with me.  She hasn't had a full night in her cot yet.  But i am hoping that we are making some sort of transition to that. 

i sort of don't 'believe' that she could fall asleep if pu/pd doesn't work within the first hour, which i think is why i give up after around that time.  Also, sometimes she doesn't stand up or cry but falls asleep, wakes up crying, falls asleep, wakes up crying - this in some ways is more tiring than if she just stayed awake because as soon as i relax and head to bed she gets up crying...

she has a clean bill of health, which is a relief.  also, not sure if i should still be giving the df?  she's 8 months today but still draining a full bottle.  i have been giving more days feeds than usual in an attempt to up my supply but i don't know if it's working as i am breastfeeding in the day...

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 15:52:15 pm »
I would definitely suggest ending the DF at this point. Tracy believed that after 7.5 mo it would cause more wakings and judging by what I've seen around here that seems to be true. But still draining a full bottle  :o  That tells me that she's not getting enough during the day. Probably the best way to go about this then is to wean the DF by reducing the bottle by an oz or so every couple days. You should see an increase in daily intake to compensate.

I do think you're making progress - it just takes time unfortunately!!
Jessica

Offline babyshamble

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 09:56:33 am »
hello!  sorry i haven't updated in so long, the last two weeks have been a bit of a blur (my husband had uni exams and so i was doing it on my own last week.)

good news - pu/pd worked!!  or, more like pd worked!  Joel finished on Friday and after we came to the conclusion that I couldn't handle Eden's crying we decided to tag team.  The first night from 2.30am-4.30am poor Joel had Eden screaming at him and me hiding under a pillow yelling out for both of them to join me in bed every now and then...  Anyway, she slept in her own bed after the two hours and woke up at 7am.  Then the next night it took me 45minutes which i did all on my own!  I don't know how i did it, but we had people from church praying that i would persevere so i guess that was a prayer answered.

The next night it only took me 15 minutes and afterwards I got Joel in to Eden's room with me and we just stood and prayed for her while she slept and waited out the full 15minutes that Tracy recommends to make sure she was in deep sleep.  She has been waking up between 5am and 6am in the morning wide awake and ready to stand since then but i am just so pleased that she is sleeping!!

I feel like a new woman with the extra sleep.

I think that you are definitely right about the df...it's so hard to let go of it though, for fear that she will wake up.  I have stopped giving formula and have just offered to bf which i know is less as my supply is very low at that time.  Should I just cut that out as well?

Thanks for your support!  It's still only been a week but i will let you know how it goes.

Just wondering, should we be trying to make her sleep at 5am in her own bed?  I have been giving her a bf to calm her down and then having her in bed with us but she really is wanting to stand and laughing and playing.  but, she won't be left on her own to play...  I'm happy to have her in bed with us or to start the day at 6am but 5am seems a bit early.  I'm just hoping that it won't start the slippery slope of co-sleeping again...

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 16:32:17 pm »
Fantastic news!! You're doing great, and how wonderful that your DH is willing to pitch in too. Give him a high 5 for me  ;)

I think that you are definitely right about the df...it's so hard to let go of it though, for fear that she will wake up.  I have stopped giving formula and have just offered to bf which i know is less as my supply is very low at that time.  Should I just cut that out as well?

I would. Sounds like she's ready. :)

Just wondering, should we be trying to make her sleep at 5am in her own bed?  I have been giving her a bf to calm her down and then having her in bed with us but she really is wanting to stand and laughing and playing.  but, she won't be left on her own to play...  I'm happy to have her in bed with us or to start the day at 6am but 5am seems a bit early.  I'm just hoping that it won't start the slippery slope of co-sleeping again...

I think that ultimately you do want her in her own bed at that time, since you don't sound interested in going back to co-sleeping. I mean, what you're doing is fine but it's hard for a LO to resettle in bed with mommy and daddy as opposed to playtime. Does that make sense? Since PD is working for you, I'd continue with that for the 5am time as well.
Jessica