Author Topic: 5 am wake up- please help!  (Read 1220 times)

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:23 pm »
Hi all, i hope you can help me with this.

My ds has been sleeping through the night for the last few weeks (by this i mean he no longer has a feed) he is 4 mo and is doing well in all other respects.

the problem i have is now he wakes up anywhere between 4.30 and 5.30 and its generally a couple of times of shh/pat or popping the paci in before he settles again till 7am. i thought at first it was paci addiction but i weaned him off this a little and only needs it to sleep about half the time.

im not sure if this range of time could be classed as habitual waking. also he is definalty not hungry as even at 7am when i feed him he doesnt really seem that hungry then.

he used to be a short napper but for the last few weeks we seem to have gotten over that problem and now gets 2 good naps of 1.5 h - 2h. and a 30-45 min cat nap. he has also been on 4 hr easy for 3 weeks or so and has taken well to it.

we moved him to his own room 3 days ago but this didnt make any difference to his night sleep at all. occassionally he will sleep right thru with no wake up at all.

the only thing i can think of is that my dh gets up for work at around 5 and this has been waking him in the past but now he even does it at weekends- also his night feed used to be at around this time. also when he wakes it isnt really full blown crying so im wondering if we're guilty of "rushing in" however if we dont he just fusses and fusses until one of us gives up and goes to him.

sorry if this is a bit lenghty but i really cant think what might be causing this

thanks in advance

:)

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: 5 am wake up- please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 15:52:46 pm »
I wouldn't go in unless he is full blown crying. You may be interfering with his ablity to put himself back to sleep.  It very well could be habitual but like I said leave him to see if he settles himself and see what happens. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 18:19:06 pm »
thanks momofclaire- i think i'll try turning the monitor down a notch. then hopefully we'll only hear him if he really cries. i think its automatic for us to quiet him as quickly as possible during the night so we can go back to sleep  ::)

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 18:30:19 pm »
Yep, those monitors can be a blessing or a curse.  I keep ours on the lowest level cause if I don't I wake everytime she turns over or takes a deep breath. 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 18:33:52 pm »
just turned it down- fingers x'd for tonight!

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 18:40:50 pm »
Good luck!!!

I switch our monitor off too, otherwise i don't sleep at all. Granted we only have the one LO and his room is directly opposite ours and also since we moved him out of our room i wake up 2 times at least during the night to get up and check up on him.... remind me, was I going to say i sleep BETTER since we moved him out??  ;)

Hope that it is a good evening, and that he surprises you by resettling himself!!

DI

Offline suzie767

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 18:50:28 pm »
i am the ultimate paranoid with the guardian angel monitor too (yes i really do have 2 monitors!)

bw advises against it but it stops me going in and checking on him a million times a day

thanks again guys i'll keep you posted