Author Topic: Fluids, Sippy Cups and Cow's Milk  (Read 1178 times)

Offline carlson_bb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 10, 2007, 13:16:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure I messed this up, but I was at a loss for what to do then and am at a loss now.  So, my daughter just turned one last week.  Since she was about 6 months old, I have been offering her water in a sippy cup at every meal.  She would just take a few sips.  Also, I have always (until recently) given her her milk before her solid meal.  So, her schedule was that when she woke up in the a.m. or after naps she would drink formula in a bottle.  About an hour later, she would have her solid meal.  At age one, I switched to cow's milk.  She seems to like that about as much as the formula, which means she doesn't willingly drink that much (about 4-5 ounces at a time if she is entertained by something else while I hold her bottle).  I also thought that I needed to switch and give her her milk after her meals after my friend who is a doctor said that I can't let her get filled up on milk before she eats her food.  I thought well this is a good time to cut out the bottles then.  I then started giving her a meal when she wakes rather than a bottle and offering her a sippy of milk.  I also offered water/milk throughout the day in a sippy.  As a result, she drank probably 1/2 and ounce of milk a day for that week and drank so little fluid total that I noticed her wetting her diapers less (still wetting them, but much less wet).  The pediatrician told me not to be concerned about the dairy thing as long as I'm giving her cheese, yogurt etc. at meals.  Fine, but I assume she needs to be hydrated.  Today and yesterday, I went back to the bottle and gave it to her in our usual way and she drank 6 ounces each time.  What do I do?  If it isn't clear from this too long post, my main concern is that I don't want her to get dehydrated, but my second concern is that I don't want to have her drinking out of a bottle unneccesarily.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline carlson_bb

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 18:45:50 pm »
This morning I made strawberry milk by smashing up strawberries and then squeezing them and adding the juice to the milk.  I gave it to her in her straw sippy and pretended like I didn't care if she drank it.  I also pretended to drink it myself.  She had not had breakfast.  She refused even one sip.  She cried and kept throwing the sippy around and flailing milk everywhere.  After an hour and a half of her playing, crying, throwing the sippy etc., I gave her breakfast.  How is it possible that she will not drink any fluids (or more than 1/2 an ounce) without the fluids coming in a bottle while she is distracted?  If I go back to the bottle, I still don't know how to eventually get rid of it.....

daybyday

Re: Fluids, Sippy Cups and Cow's Milk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 18:52:42 pm »
I'm sorry you are having a rough go of it....

I transitioned my DS from breast to sippy cup...we used a NUBY cup for the initial transition. It has a softer rubber nipple (shaped like a sippy cup spout, but soft like a bottle)...he was a late teether and I was worried about his gums...

Have you tried a variety of cups....let her choose between a couple? What about letting her drink periodically from a "big" person glass? Have a glass of water on hand and ask her if she would like a sip of yours etc...

I definitely would monitor her intake of fluids...make sure she has wet diapers...keep offering....

(and when it comes down to it...At this age her hydration is more important than a bottle....)

Good luck and I hope someone else comes along that can offer more/better ideas! Hugs :-*

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 19:24:59 pm »
We had to try several cups with Harvey before he would be happy and drink lots.  Theo was pretty much the same and he stopped breastfeeding (of his own accord) at 10 12 months and we also tried a few cups before he was truly happy.  He either has a proper bottle, you know the water bottles you can buy with the flip lids or pull up tops or the advent sports cup.  The trouble with sippy cups was that he would get tired of sucking really hard to get anything out.

So either try a normal water bottle or a free flow cup that lets your lo get her drink satisfaction fast. 
Rhian

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:13:44 am »
We still don't get much drinking done in the day.  It is improving though.  I offer all different kinds of cups all the time, and she LOVES to drink straight from a water bottle (because I do all day long).  Drinks much more if she has diluted apple juice, but am trying to stop that from being an every drink thing.

Won't take milk from a sippy (we are on one bottle of formula before bed).

Just keep trying, and monitoring those nappies.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline newmaze

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 23:28:45 pm »
Can I ask - what is the deal with the Nuby Soft Spout Sippy?  Is that considered a real sippy, or do we have to then transition her to another sippy?  I seem to have some luck with that, so I was hoping around 1 Yr, that I would just have her on those.  Do I then I have to move on to something else? 

just wondering!
thanks! jen

daybyday

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 14:10:56 pm »
Jen, I see kids of all ages using the nuby soft sippy. I don't think it matters really...We stopped giving it to my DS around a year. He was biting through the nipple part and breaking the slats....and (not sure if this has changed or not) but a year ago you couldn't buy replacement nipples, you had to buy a whole new bottle...

From the nuby we went to the Gerber rubber sippy...(soft blue spout) and he did great...that being said he could drink out of a variety but those were his favs...(still are when he's tired)!

HTH! Marie

Offline newmaze

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 00:38:49 am »
carlson - just wondering if anything got better?  I am going through the same thing...