Author Topic: possible egg allergy?  (Read 1128 times)

Offline nwmm

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« on: April 07, 2007, 13:10:55 pm »
Hello.

I could use some advice.  I have been holding back on some highly allergic food due to other family member's food allergies (cousin, paternal grandfather, maternal grandmother). 

Around 14 - 16 months, I gave my lo a few foods that had cooked egg in them.  They contained very little eggs.  For example, meatloaf with one egg in it.  Together, we finished a small loaf pan - - over a few day span.  She has had a serving another time.  She has had a couple of meatballs, at a restaurant, which often contain egg.  I had given her meatballs even earlier not realizing they may contain egg.  Last week, she had a few bites of a bread that contained an egg.

At 16.5 months, I gave her a few bites of a scrambled egg for lunch.  Had the benadryl on hand.  No reaction.  I admit I was doing a tiny happy dance inside.   ::)

That night, we went out to dinner.  My lo is usually eager to eat anything and everything. She was not interested in the usual favorite dinner we brought her.  I ordered her a scrambled egg.   She did not eat tons of it, but definitely had some.  After a little while, her chin "broke out," but just a tiny bit.  My husband didn't even notice.  I did, but I am more used to what to look for.    Truthfully, my heart sank a little.   :-\ (I had the benadryl on hand, but never used it.)  Ten minutes later, we were in the car and her face was fine. 

My question is, could her face have cleared up that fast if it was an egg allergy?  I can't attribute the "break out" to anything else.  Nor, have  I seen it happen to her before.

Thanks for reading!!!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 23:39:12 pm by nwmm »

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: possible egg allergy?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 18:07:55 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=89179.0

Hi there... have a read of the thread above!

It tells you about my son.. he has contact allergies to both potato and now egg.. he can eat them just fine but if they touch his skin there is no problem.

The first time he ate them and got some on his skin there was no reaction.. this is normal with allergies as it takes a first experience with something to sensitize the body to it, then the second time they have that food/ experience that substance the reaction will occur.

William breaks out in hives when he gets potato and egg on his skin... but as I said he is fine when eating it. Your little one could be just the same since you describe that she is ok after eating it but her skin breaks out a little where the egg probably touched as she ate it.

When Will has a reaction I just give him some antihisthamine and he is soon right as rain again..

Try not to panic about it.. and if it continues to concern you go and see your dr. xxx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: possible egg allergy?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 16:22:37 pm »
When Marisa has eggs, butter, anything greasy, she gets a rash around her mouth that goes away really quickly. However, this does not happen with egg cooked in things like meatball, meatloaf, chicken nugget, etc. I think it's more a skin sensitivity thing than an actual allergy in her case and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. I just clean her skin off right away and that's it. I agree with Helen - try not to worry but if you want to ask your doctor that's fine too!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01