Author Topic: OK to stop night feeds at 3 months?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline bettyoh26

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 11, 2007, 19:27:33 pm »
My LO is 3.5 months and we have been on EASY since we came home with him.  He eats an average of 6 oz. every 3 hours, I pulled the last remaining nighttime feed two weeks ago as he was only taking an ounce and is almost 15 pounds.  I upped his intake during the day before doing away with the feed altogether. We do a 10pm df where he takes about 4 oz..

He eats every three hours starting at 7 am with three naps (1-2 hours) plus a catnap around 5 or 5:30. Bedtime is 7pm with a ritual.  We swaddle in miracle blanket for all naps and bedtime.  I have experimented with an arm out but he wakes and cannot settle.  We use the paci at all naps, but does not need it bedtime, he goes down awake and happy, babbling to himself till 7:30pm. I have recently transitioned over the past month and a half from breastmilk to formula with no apparent issues. We have been formula only for one week.

He has found his hands and can suck his thumb but cannot seem to find it if we leave an arm out of the swaddle just yet.  Also, he does not wake when the Paci falls out but if he wakes (naps and at night) we put it back in and sh/pat, he goes right back down.

PROBLEM:  He has been waking at all differnet times 12:45-3:45.  Sometimes he also wakes around 5:30.  The 12:45 and 5:30 he easily goes back down with paci, shh/pat.  The 2:30 has become an hour and a half long sh/pat where he goes down and wakes 20-40 minutes later.  If I let him cry it does not seem to be a hunger cry and in the morning he is never super hungry.

Did I stop the night feed to early?  Or is it swaddle/paci/wants his fingers issues?  Sometimes I think it is gas with the switch to formula only. I do not think it is habitual waking so am not sure if I can try wake to sleep.  I also think PU/PD would not work as it would starle him even more? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: OK to stop night feeds at 3 months?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 20:03:11 pm »
No, it's not habitual since it's not at the same time. He's too young just yet for PU/PD so definitely don't give that a go yet.
How long has he been waking?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline bettyoh26

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 20:18:45 pm »
He has always woken up 1-4 times.  It is the 2:30 wake up that takes an hour to settle.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 20:24:21 pm »
TBH he could very well be hungry at that time. It's a little unusual for a LO to be ready to give up the last night feed by 3.5 mo but definitely not unheard of. Have you tried feeding at that time? If so then what happens?
Jessica

Offline bettyoh26

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 20:37:09 pm »
He would fall asleep after an ounce or two, so at 3 mos. I upped his daily intake and fed him slowly less and less. 

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 21:17:57 pm »
That makes sense then.

I do wonder about the paci  :-\   Have you considered weaning it?
Jessica

Offline bettyoh26

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 00:22:59 am »
Yes.  I think he may be waking due to swaddle/just found his hands issues and needs to suck.  Thanks for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.  I am not sure what to do! Stop swaddling or using the paci at the same time, or which one should go first?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 15:29:23 pm »
I would go with the paci first for sure. The longer you wait the harder it will be, but the opposite is true for swaddling.

Hmmmm...  you might try the Aussie swaddle and see if that helps too. There are instructions in the FAQ section of the Props forum. It's a different way to swaddle which is nearly impossible for LO to break out of, and their hands end up right below their chin so they can suck but remain swaddled.
Jessica