Author Topic: Fed up with Toddler not eating... suggestions please  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Ewan's Mummy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Fed up with Toddler not eating... suggestions please
« on: April 11, 2007, 20:28:30 pm »
OK, I know it's normal for toddlers to be fussy eaters sometimes as they assert their independence etc, but I am fed up now with my 24 month old refusing just about everything.  I'm not worried about his weight, he's slim but very active, but I am worried about the nutritional quality of the foods he'll eat.  I would love some suggestions to encourage him to eat different foods. 

Up until he was about a year and a half old I was pretty smug because he would eat ANYTHING and I really can't pinpoint where it all went wrong because now he will not eat ANYTHING from a fork or spoon except yoghurt.  He wont pick up anything squidgy.  I have tried making veggies into rissoles and he won't eat those either.  I honestly could not say when the last time was he ate a vegetable of any kind.  He wont even eat baked beans or sweetcorn. 

He will eat fruit, cheese, scrambled eggs if they are scrambled so dry that he can pick lumps of them up, marmite sandwhiches, sausages (grrr) - he would eat these all day everyday if I let him), tinned mackeral (occasionally if he's feeling adventurous). 

As a family we eat healthily but he refuses everything... my little six and a half month old is so refreshing because he just grins and gobbles everything I offer him but I just cannot get my toddler to try anything. I thought when he saw the little one munching his veggies he might want to try them, but no.

We don't push him to eat things or make a big deal of it, we just eat our food and offer him his.  In the last few days he's refused spaghetti bolognaise (used to love it), homemade pork and apple balls, jacket sweet potato with cheese, vegetable rissoles, chicken caserole... he won't touch rice (used to love it) or pasta.

anyway, enough waffling on, any tips, suggestions or anything would be most welcome. 

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: Fed up with Toddler not eating... suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 14:53:23 pm »
sorry your are feeling so frustrated!  i have been there and am sending you big hugs!

have you had a look at the fussy eaters thread, there is lots of good tips.  i recently read a great book 'just two more bites' and it really helped us.   i also posted a whole bunch of tips from the books you might find helpful.

hugs

lilmonkey

Re: Fed up with Toddler not eating... suggestions please
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 15:21:25 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that we are in the same boat.  It all started about 4 wks ago with dd not wanting to eat any of her favorites, or eat during mealtimes and I think that it was then that she really started to assert her independence (lots of "I do it", "No...", "Don't want..." and contradicting us.)  I couldn't figure out what was happening until I noticed that she had just cut two of her last molars (#17 & 18).  Could yours be going through the same thing?

With regards to meals, I fed dd lots of soups and let her graze throughout the day - similar to Dr. Sear's suggestion of having various finger foods in an ice tray and let her at it.  It is getting better now as she is willing to eat one decent meal with us.  HTH

I hope that you get more suggestions as I'm also looking forward for this to end soon.

Mimi