Author Topic: When "S" is over, but it's not time to start with "E" yet...  (Read 1049 times)

Offline mama of little b

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When "S" is over, but it's not time to start with "E" yet...
« on: April 12, 2007, 15:59:15 pm »
Warm greetings -- this is my 1st posting, just registered + familiarizing myself with the site... I've spent a few brief nap-time short windows of time trying to find the answer to my question, but haven't found just what I'm looking for, so am posting here.  Forgive me if the answer is within these boards, and feel free to direct me there!  I've read the Baby Whisperer book now no less than 10 times since Little B was born 8 weeks ago.... it has been a sanity-saver from Day One.  So, on to my nap question:

We're very blessed that our little one began sleeping *very* well at night starting at 7 weeks... going down between approx. 8-9:30 after his last feed of the day (the only time I skip the "A" and just do eat-sleep -- and we've introduced a bottle of pumped milk to get him used to future babysitters...), for the past week he's been pleasing his parents with 7-8 hours straight before waking (around 5-5:45am), and then going right back down without a fuss after feeding for another 3-3.5 hours, before waking to begin the day (usually around 9am).  So, he is getting 12 hours total nighttime sleep before getting up to begin his day with E.A.S.Y....

That said, I watch for yawns + overwhelm during his "A" (gymini, giggling with mama, tummy time, bouncy seat, or bath for last EASY cycle of the day), and usually get him down successfully, might have to pu/pd once... but I'm yet another mama whose child wakes up after 35-40 minutes.  I know he's young -- 8 weeks -- and that daytime sleep organization comes later.  But I try soothing him back to sleep to extend his nap.... shushing, gently rocking him in my arms (we always swaddle him for every nap + nighttime -- actually a "double swaddle" with the "kiddopotamus" and then another swaddle blanket on top of that to keep him from kicking out of the first layer).... and 95% of the time have NO luck getting him back to sleep.... in fact, he wakes up even more, cries more, or is just simply ALERT... and fine in my arms, but inconsolable if I put him back down.

Once I give up + declare that he's "up" from his nap (always try to get him back down).... it's rarely been long enough to start the "E" feed all over again yet, as he is up at 2 hours from his last feed, too close to "snacking" for my comfort -- I want to have him eating between 2.5-3 hours.   If I hold him, he is fine (quiet + alert + not crying of hunger) from the time he's up from his nap until about 2.5-2 hours 45 minutes from his last feed (i should add i'm breastfeeding, and giving him a pumped bottle at day's end).   So, I "hold him out" to begin the EASY cycle all over again.... but that eats into his "awake time'" for the next cycle and shortens the amount of quality "A" that comes after I feed him....

So... what to do in that time between when he is up from his way-too-short nap (35-40 minutes), but too early to start the "E" over?  (and far too little "y" time right now....) -- Just resolve to hold him until it's been 2.5 hours?  Or, do I try to use a "prop" of stroller motion or carseat motion to get him to snooze longer?  {I am trying to avoid using a swing, which we have held off on buying b/c I don't want him to get used to it + need it;  ditto pacifier}

Any insight would be welcome!  Feel free to steer me to a different posting/thread on this topic if I overlooked it.   

THANKS!

-- Mama of Little B

Offline lisi's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 155
Re: When "S" is over, but it's not time to start with "E" yet...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 16:26:51 pm »
Gosh, it sounds like you guys are doing great! I was no where near getting such a good routine going by 8 weeks  ;D

At that age I'd be tempted to either keep him in his crib until nap time is "finished" either on his own, or if he needs you there shh-patting or just feeding him early and working on gradually extending the cycles. Extending naps involves LOTS of hard work and is really tedious, but one day it does click (not sure if it's anything to do with the parent's influence, or they just move on to another phase  :-\ ). I'd make sure I was in the room 5 minutes before Lisi's wake up time, and the second she moved would stick my hand on her back, and stay very still. It often seemed to work for us. Have you tried introducing a lovie yet? It may seem early, but has become a life saver for us now it's established, particularly as you are holding off on the paci.

I remember having wonky cycle lenghts due to either lack of nap or lack of A time, but by 3 months things had calmed down. I'd try to get as near as you can, but don't stress too much - it sounds like you're doing brilliantly!
Katie

Offline *Mona*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 144
Re: When "S" is over, but it's not time to start with "E" yet...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 17:52:19 pm »
hi

I think you might actually be overstimulating him a bit during A time.
35 or so naps indicate overtiredness so... first of all relax and try slowing down a bit ;)
at 8 weeks he should be eating every 3 hrs with around 1,5hrs of A time. but not all 1,5hrs have to actually be 'active'. for such a small baby just lying awake in his crib or walking around the house in mommy's arms is an activity too.

can you post your routine for us please?

Monika
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)