Author Topic: Question on crawling/crying  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Question on crawling/crying
« on: April 12, 2007, 23:47:22 pm »
My 9 month old has been working on crawling for several weeks and is very frustrated.  As soon as he is topples over from a sitting position or cannot get to a toy just out of his reach he gets angry and cries.  He is happiest when I am holding him and walking around the house.  I'm assuming that since he isn't yet mobile, to him, this is the next best thing.  I could be way off base...   I try to console/distract without picking him up, sometimes it works.  It makes for long days.  I want to give him time to practice crawling, but it tends to make both of us edgy.

Any thoughts on this?  I find myself getting impatient with him often.

Thanks for any input.
Cindy

Offline ks6

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:16:40 am »
My ds did that too.  We have pictures of him being very angry on his tummy because he couldn't crawl yet.  Instead of wanting to be carried, mine wanted me to hold his hands so he could walk.  :P  Either way, mommy gets a sore back.  I wish I had suggestions for you.  I just decided to wait it out, figuring we couldn't be in the same postition for too many weeks.  I "walked" ds until 11 months when he started to both walk and crawl.  ::)  Hugs!

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Re: Question on crawling/crying
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:14:05 am »
Did you find that he didn't last long keeping himself occupied?  I read last night that he should be able to play on his own for 45 minutes at a time.  That certainly doesn't happen here.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 17:33:40 pm »
Every baby is different - some babies are fine playing independently for longer stretches, others aren't.  Any baby is going to have a harder time when working on achieving a milestone anyway.  When he manages to get crawling, he'll probably be much happier playing by himself.

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 17:54:43 pm »
Cindy--he could not occupy himself for long at that time.  I was ecstatic if I got 10 minutes from him in the morning.  Then it was "mommy help me walk" for the rest of the day.  Things changed a lot when he learned to walk by himself.  I think they really want to be mobile, but since they can't, they have to use "mommy transportation".  Hope things get easier soon.

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 20:00:23 pm »
Thanks alot for the encouragement!  Today has been going better, not that he's acting any differently, but I think my frame of mind is better. 

Thanks again for the posts, they helped alot!

Cindy