Author Topic: 9 week old wakes @ 2am even with a dream feed!  (Read 1519 times)

Offline sabers78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 week old wakes @ 2am even with a dream feed!
« on: April 13, 2007, 19:57:06 pm »

Hi- my Lo -9weeks old- may have her last feed at 9 or 10 and wake up at 2am...I tried the dream feed at 11pm to have her last longer  or even skip the 2am wakening but she'll still wake up around 2am.  Any suggestions???  (She wakes at 2 and then at 5am and 7am).

I also have a really hard time putting her down for naps during the day - she wakes up 10 min. after I put her down (Unless I let her sleep in the living room in her swing or my arms....) Help! 

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: 9 week old wakes @ 2am even with a dream feed!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 17:20:25 pm »
If it is always at the same time every night (habitual) have you tried w2s?  At 9 weeks, 2 feeds during the night would not be unexpected but usually not at the exact same time.

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 18:37:34 pm »
sounds like she's pretty normal waking twice in the night as well as a dreamfeed. 

that's what matthew would do - feed at 10.30, then like clockwork wake 3hourly after that.  My opinion is that its far too early to say that its habitual waking at 9weeks.  The wakings are for hunger and those needs need to be met (at 9weeks they only have a tiny tummy).

sorry its not what you'd like to hear.  I know those early weeks are tough going (I'm trying not to think about it ;))

Things will and do get better as they get older.

Alex

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 20:06:00 pm »
Ditto - at 9 weeks she's going to need a night feed even in addition to the DF. It's absolutely normal.

Have you tried pat/shhh for the naps?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline sabers78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 00:50:34 am »
Hi - thanks for all the input!  I guess I was really spoiled about her 4th week where she was sleeping for 6 hrs straight during the night and then came the growth spurt and since then she hasn't been sleeping longer than 4 hrs in a row. At least it's normal!  So much to learn about a baby! Thank you lots :)
And I have tried the sh/pat. She does quite well with it except at naps in her crib...will continue to try though.

Offline FionaS

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 02:03:59 am »
Hi.  Does your lo fall asleep independently at nap times or do you help her off to sleep?  They hit a bump in their sleep at 10mins and hence if you're doing anything at the time they fall asleep, they expect you to still be doing it when they hit those bumps. 

My lo also did 10mins naps for a while...she would fall asleep indpendently but then wake.  We never quite worked out why but eventually she extended her naps to 20mins, then 40, then to 1.5 hours.  It is certainly trying but hang in there :)