Author Topic: Help, 5mo baby wakes 4-5 times/night!  (Read 930 times)

Offline tinoo78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 15, 2007, 11:47:56 am »
My son Evan is 5 months old today.  I just started the EASY routine one week ago because he wasn't napping well and was cranky most of the day.  I'm doing the four hour routine and I'm sticking by the times, regardless if he's tired or hungry early, as Tracey suggests in her most recent book.  The only variation is after a couple nights of frequent night waking we tried cluster feeding (the past couple nights) in addition to his regular dream feed, but the night waking seems to be getting worse.

His first two naps are 1.5-2 hours long, but we have to put him back to sleep in the middle of his naps a lot.  His catnap in the afternoon lasts 30-45 mins.  Every time he goes to bed, I wind him down, swaddle him, use a pacifier, and do PU/PD if necessary (which it normally isn't).  I don't know if this is a problem, but I also leave my hand on his chest until he falls asleep, it seems to keep him calm.

His bedtime now is 7:30, although it used to be between 9:30-10:00 before we started EASY (he used to sleep for a 5-6 hour stretch, which hasn't happened since startine EASY).  Before the cluster feeding, the routine would be eat at 7:00, wash his face or bath, change diaper/outfit, wind down, then bed.

He is bottle fed and eats anywhere from 6-8oz/feed. 

Evan sleeps in the same room as us because it's the only way to keep him close to us.  When he wakes at night, he usually rolls over and gets out of his swaddle, then starts to cry.  A lot ot times it's just a mantra cry and he'll go back to sleep within ten minutes, but as the night goes on it turns into a real cry and it takes up to an hour to get him back to sleep.  We try to comfort him in bed, but if that doesn't work, we usually pick him up, reswaddle, wait until he's calm, put him back down, use pacifier, and keep a hand on his chest until he falls asleep.  When we started EASY, he woke up only once, but now it's 4-5 times/night.

His A time consists of playing with toys, hanging out in exersaucer and jolly jumper, being read to and exploring the house.  He seems to get sick of his toys quickly.  His A time is usually around 1.5 hours, depending on how fast he eats.  Because I'm trying to stick to the times, he's often tired well before it's time to nap, so he's probably overtired by the time we get him to bed.

I don't think he's teething, he may or may not be going through a growth spurt, it's hard to tell.  He started rolling over a few weeks ago, so I don't think that it's a newfound mobility issue.

Should I put him to bed when he's tired, even if it's early?  If so, is it ok if the EASY routine turns into an EASYAEASY routine?  I plan on cutting out the cluster feeding, should I?  What else am I doing wrong?  Please help!

Tina

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Help, 5mo baby wakes 4-5 times/night!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 19:31:25 pm »
Can you post your full routine? That would help to identify anything that would need adjusting.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline tinoo78

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:55:50 am »
This is the routine that I've been trying with all of my might to keep...

7:00 Wake and Eat (bottle fed)
9:00 Nap for 1.5-2 hours
11:00 Eat
1:00 Nap for 1.5-2 hours
3:00 Eat
5:00 45min catnap
7:00 Eat, wash face or bath, change diaper/outfit, wind down
7:30 Bed
11:00 Dream Feed

I was successful for a few days, although he would never nap straight through and almost always got tired early.  Then when he started waking up 4-5 times, I tried cluster feeding (at 6:00 and 8:00), which didn't seem to help.  I took out the cluster feed last night, but still fed him early yesterday evening (6:15).  He went to bed at 7:15, woke up at 8:30, my DH put him back to sleep.  He woke up during his dream feed, went to bed by midnight and slept ok until 4:00.  I put him back to bed, but he only slept about 45 min until 5:30.  By 6:15, he seemed unconsoleable, so I fed him.  Now it's 8:15 and he's getting really tired, so I am going to put him to bed at 8:30 and try to get back on track by the end of the day.

All in all, he slept a lot better last night, but I'd like to see him sleep until 7:00...

Thank you so much for your help.  I hate to say this, but it's really hard to keep faith in the routine when he wakes up at all hours of the night (he used to sleep for a 5-6 hour stretch)...

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 15:46:05 pm »
Your routine looks good  :) 

You mentioned using a paci though, could it be a prop? Could he be waking for that?

Is he rolling both ways, or just one?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o