Author Topic: We're cutting out milk...sort of  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Re: We're cutting out milk...sort of
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 19:56:54 pm »
Things have been pretty bad the last couple of days and I'm a terrible Mommy Detective.  I never seem to know what's wrong.  I know the daycare workers will do their best to limit her dairy intake, but I'm wondering if she's stealing the other kids milk and drinking it without them realizing it.  She's been a total bear the last couple of days and we had another truly awful night last night.  I suppose it could be DH's cold or teething, but I really don't know.  We'll cut dairy out completely again this weekend and see.  If she's "bounces back", we'll know that she's nicking her friends milk and will have to ramp up the daycare's vigilance. 

Her schedule is roughly this:
6am Wakeup and out of bed
11:30-Noon Naps for about 2 hours at daycare; only 60-90 minutes at home
6:30pm Bedtime

We've been trying to get a 7 or 7:30pm bedtime in hopes of pushing her wakeup back til around 7am and making the morning A time a touch shorter as it just seems too long.    I don't have any control over naptime - that's when they go down at daycare, so I can just try to adjust the bedtime, really.  She has been really tired lately - just can't get caught up on her sleep and on the weekends she'll sometimes take two shorter naps during the day.

There are nights when we even put her to bed at 6pm because she's just so dang tired.  We try to watch her cues and make it as late as possible, but it's generally around 6:30pm.

Any suggestions?

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 11:42:26 am »
hmmm hard to say whether its the diary of not, with T we always seem to realise in retrospect iykwim? I would cut it out altogether tho and see if any improvement. T goes through really tired pahses like this too , like he's constantly over tired. Have u tried a short catnap say 3.30ish then a slightly later bedtime? might help with the tiredness. As for teething, I can only suggest giving some pain med and /or gel and see if she gets any better. Teething is  a pain for both of u so HUGS, feel like we've been at it for ever LOL.
Let us know how u get on!

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 14:23:47 pm »
Well, I had been putting goat yogurt in her bedtime "shake" and I thought with the similarities between goat and cows milk that maybe that was the culprit so I cut it out last night but we still had a bad night.  I did feel a new tooth tip this morning so that could be it, but I really would be suprised if there's not a food component too.  The pain meds just aren't helping and I would expect them too with teething. 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 15:12:35 pm »
Which teeth is she getting? Sometimes meds aren't really enough for the really painful ones like eye teeth and molars. Some people have problems with goat's milk/yogurt but many don't. I'm actually a big fan of goat's milk (although it doesn't work for all allergic kids). Have you considered allergy testing?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 18:08:38 pm »
It's the ones right next to her two front teeth on the top.  I wouldn't expect them to be terribly painful, but you just never know. 

We're going to the doctor's again today (it seems to be our Friday afternoon ritual) to make sure that it's not DH's cold, sore throat or ear infection.  I'm going to bring up allergy testing with him, but he hasn't been really clued into it and DD doesn't have overt symptoms like hives, projectile vomitting, rash, etc.

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 01:36:54 am »
K took another bad tumble at daycare - straight over the handlebars and into the plastic toy set. So on top of the bruised, scratched nose, she has a terribly swollen cheek, a huge scratch/cut and a black eye.  My she's a sight!  So it was good that we had the doctor visit today.  He checked her out - black eye, band-aid and all and gave her a clean bill of health.  I asked him to check her gums when he looked at her throat and he said the back/molar gums are swollen but it could be a while before they come through.  ***Language warning***  Boy do I hate those damn teeth.  If I could just get her baby dentures and avoid this whole bit, I would!

I also spent the day trying to figure out what changed over the weekend to make it so good and then what could have caused it to go so terribly wrong this week.  I think we inadvertantly restricted her wheat over the weekend as well.  She got rice cakes instead of her normal crackers and coincidentally we ate more rice and less bread.  And, they eat a lot of crackers/bread at daycare.  So, I think our human trials are going to continue with restricted dairy (including goat), soy and wheat.  I feel like I'm grasping at straws, but I gotta' try it.  On a very positive note, the doc did give us a referral to an allergist that we can see and have testing done, but he thought that if it was just an intolerance versus a full blown allergy, it wouldn't show up.  Maybe I'll do some research over the weekend.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?  Is the scratch/skin test the best way to determine food allergies?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 16:15:20 pm »
Poor little girl! Give her a big hug from DD and I. Believe me, I HATE teeth too. We've been battling eye teeth for months here.

Wheat is a big allergen so that is worth a try. But maybe you should see the allergist and a dietician so that you can best plan out foods for her to keep her strong and healthy (and you sane from the limitations)? He's right about the intolerance vs allergy. Allergy tests generally only show true allergies and not GI allergies at that. But it's still worth a try IMO. Many people like the combination of the RAST (blood test) and SPT (skin prick test). One is prone to false positives, the other to false negatives (I can't remember which right now) so you're pretty covered between the two.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 11:27:55 am »
Hi Casey - just wanted to check in and see how the diet/sleep was coming along...

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 20:11:46 pm »
Thanks for asking. I was completely overwhelmed the other day, but doing better now.

We're not sure what the specific combination to eliminate is and so we have really bad days and some better days.  We have an appointment with an allergist in 2 weeks and I've talked to K's daycare and we're trying to formulate a plan.  I'm really overwhelmed, tbh, and all the information I find (online mostly) is conflicting so I feel like I really can't formulate a plan.  I think I'm going to find a naturalpath to talk with as well as I think they can provide a different perspective and possibly a better alternative. 

Yesterday I was overcome with tears.  I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner; I can't believe that I had all this time on my hands and didn't do anything and now that I'm back working, it all has come to a head.  I just don't know how to manage all of this and am feeling pulled in a thousand different directions.  You know...typical mommy stuff!  I'm better today and one of the moms/babies on my birth club is going through a similar process.  Her DD had extreme eczema and they went to Florida for a desensitizing treatment.  I think we have a similar treatment here in Seattle, so I think if we can figure out what's causing the problems we can desensitize K to it.  I hope at least.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 02:32:50 am »
Big hugs to you Casey, I know how hard it can be. But please don't beat yourself up for not figuring it out sooner. The important thing is that you're working on it now and doing all you can to make your DD feel better. Finding a naturapath can be a good thing but be careful who you find - try to get recommendations and someone you are really comfortable with. I'm quite a believer in alternative medicines but usually in combination with more traditional methods so it's good you're keeping the appointment with the allergist as well.

You're doing a GREAT job. Keep us posted.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 11:37:58 am »
Well put Karen.  ((((HUGS)))) from me too Casey.

Ax

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 18:18:48 pm »
awww sweetie, hugs! i totally knowow ur feeling, in your situation it took us a long time to figure out what was up with_T so I know the 'lloking back ' feeling. I would def recommend a naturopath as she may be lactose intollerant but apprently there are many food stuffs which we are 'slightly' intollerant too without knowing it and cutting them out improves our quality of life. Are you keeping a food diary?

Offline preston,parker&peytonsmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 04:20:14 am »
Oh honey, don't beat yourself up over this.  I've been there, done that and it doesn't help a bit.  My 5 yr old dd has a milk and mold allergy.  A few months after she turned 2, she started having constant sinus infections and ear infections.  When we first went to an ENT in Jan of 04, we attempted to cut out the milk but I didn't see much difference and Peyton LOVED her chocolate milk so much so I didn't push the issue.  In April of that year, she got her tonsils and adenoids out.  Over the summer, we ended up testing for Cystic Fibrosis, as well as a few other things, including her immune system because the sinus infections were non-stop.  She also ended up with a strep/staph infection that we almost had to do IV antibiotics for.  October of that year she had an asthma attack after being at the pumpkin patch . . . the list goes on and on.  In Feb./March 05, I finally decided something had to give.  The ENT we were using was doing some allergy testing but was very "anal" about what she would do and when.  I don't really remember what the final straw was with her BUT out of pure coincidence, Peyton had a 5 day spell with no milk due to being sick and being out of town.  During that 5 days I noticed her nose was finally not running!  I gave her just a tiny bit of milk and 30 mins later, the snot came pouring.  So, FINALLY in May of 2005, we see a new allergist and he listens to me and tests her for milk allergy and there you go, 18 MISERABLE months and 14 antibiotics later, we have the diagnosis that I could have gotten if I'd stuck with the milk theory in the beginning!  So, sweetie, there's a true reason for some guilt!  Ya know what, though?  We aren't rocket scientists.  We aren't trained in medicine.  We just love our kiddos and do the best we can and if we wake up one day and the fog has lifted, well, yay, we can finally do what needs to be done for our little ones.  Hang in there!  Trust those mommy instincts!!!
Kelly
     &
my 3 darlings-
Peyton (7-20-01), Parker (7-18-03) and Preston (3-22-06)

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 18:17:51 pm »
Saw the allergist yesterday and she did the skin prick test.  No allergies to wheat and a couple of other grains, soy, milk and something else that I'm forgetting.  I think we're still going to avoid dairy as a drink (allow it as an ingredient) for now cuz it does seem to have helped with the colds/ear infections.

I have to admit this is a relief for me - although I am still stumped why she slept so good and why we can't replicate it.  My little mystery continues...

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 00:24:30 am »
Glad to hear that with the SPT - however, that test will only show certain types of allergies and not GI allergies or intolerances. That's why it's so hard to pinpoint these things. Do you know exactly what she ate those days she slept well?