Author Topic: need help with 12 week old  (Read 1276 times)

Offline bcmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 16, 2007, 19:59:16 pm »
Hi again

We are in deep trouble and I am desperate for some help and sleep.  We have multiple issues but maybe someone can tell me where to start first...

My ds is 12 weeks old and 13 lbs plus.  He is exclusively bf and we are working on introducing the bottle.  He does not take a paci.  He is swaddled in a miracle blanket for sleep and sleeps in a dark room with white noise.  He does not self soothe and does not fall asleep on his own.  He is starting to find his hands during the day.

He has no routine during the day because he is a terrible napper.  I can set my watch by them...they last exactly 30 min.  I try to resettle him when he wakes with very limited success.  He then has a short A time (usually about an hour) before we try the whole sleep thing all over again.  It is usually very difficult to get him down for the second nap in a feed cycle ie approaching a feed.  I have been trying to feed him every 3 hours but sometimes it is a little less and sometimes a little more depending on his sleeping.  He would get anywhere from 4-6 hours of nap time in a day.

His nights were really good but have gone way downhill.  He is in bed early, usually b/t 6:30 and 7:30.  He used to sleep about 9 hours, wake for a feed and go back to sleep.  Now he is up 30 minutes after he was put down and last night it was then 11:30, 2:30, 5:30 ish.  My husband tries to settle him but he screams bloody murder until he nurses.  I don't think he takes a full feed and is just comforting himself.  By the end of the night, he didn't even want to nurse anymore, was just crying for sleep.  This has been going on for a few nights now with one normal night interspursed.  In addition, when he wakes, he has often broken out of his swaddle.  I am amazed by this as he is in there tight!  My first ds stayed in it til 10 mos or so!

I know the independent sleep thing is huge but what is stumping me are these night wakings since he had and can go 9 hours without waking even though he is put down asleep. 

I feel like he is overtired given his short naps but am at a loss at what to do as it is difficult to get him to go back to sleep and even if he does, it is difficult to lay him down.  As mentioned, he has an older brother who needs my attention too.

I also wonder about the swaddle since he is consistently breaking it.  He still flails around pretty much so I am skeptical he can go without it but??? 

Or do you think it is a growth spurt?  I had been trying to stretch his feeds to 3-3.5 hours the last 2 days and honestly he didn't seem to mind.  He was hungry when offered but didn't go out of his way to request anything.  Should I be feeding him more often during the day?

Argh!  Please help!

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: need help with 12 week old
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 00:34:38 am »
Wow, you have a lot going on. 

I would imagine that you should first work on a good easy sch, which means focus on naps.  You probably should work on getting him to sleep independent of a prop while you do this. 

I would keep the swaddle unless you think it is bothering him.  I quit swaddling at about 5 weeks but I know most do not and swear by the swaddle. 
Three months is a rough time because of a growth spurt and milestone things.  I would say you should work on a good 3 hour easy. 

Your night wakings are probably were/are related to a growth spurt but when the spurt did/does end he will wake and expect food if he can't self soothe. 
Hope that helps
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 17:26:16 pm »
I agree - the first thing to do is get a consistent routine for sure.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline bcmom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 20:26:27 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  I am at a loss as to how to get him on a consistent routine though when he takes crap naps.  I try to feed him q 3 hours and the morning starts out as EASY but this morning he only had an hour nap so by the time I put him down for this nap, the E came right before the S.  Argh...

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 00:15:49 am »
Better naps are key.  Have you posted in the nap forum?  What have you tried to extend the naps?  Keep at it.  It does get better.

Offline Rachd77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 02:15:24 am »
Bcmom, I am going through almost the exact same thing with my 13 week old. The only difference being that she does take a paci and is (usually) pretty good at settling herself off to sleep. The last 3/4 nights have been awful though- she has been waking every hour or half hour, breaking out of her swaddle and sucking desperately on her fingers. I have been trying to get her to bf for longer during the day to see if it's a calorie issue but this seems to only end up with her spitting up the excess.
What I am confused about (don't know about you) is whether or not I should be feeding her when she wakes in the night. I have been trying to hold off but this seems to just end up with me being extremely tired with very little milk the next day (not helping anybody). I don't want to get her into habitual waking though either.
It seems to be a no-win situation as far as I can see!
If you have any luck please let me know..... I am feeling rather desperate for some help right now too.

Rachel
 :o

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 16:24:01 pm »
At 12 weeks she probably does need a feed maybe 2 at night. Does she wake more than that?

Offline Rachd77

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:43:42 am »
Sorry, not sure if you mean me (sorry for gatecrashing bcmom) but yes, Ellie usually has a feed at 4 am but hasn't had more than that since I started on EASY. Last night I broke my own rule and put her in bed next to me on a support pillow- each time she woke I quickly popped her paci in and she dropped back off to sleep. I am hoping that if I can break the waking habit then I can pop her back into her cot without too much fuss (fingers crossed). I'm pleased to say that both of us are much happier bunnies this morning for having had a semi-decent amount of sleep!!!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 16:55:35 pm »
I was talking to you, sorry.  :-[  I would be careful of the paci and it becoming a prop.  If you want you can post a new topic more people will be able to see and respond to your question.  I am glad you got some sleep last night.  Being rested really makes this much easier.  Hang in there and welcome by the way.