Author Topic: Is this separation anxiety??  (Read 974 times)

Offline Lilasmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:36 am »
DD is 17 months old.  Two months ago she started taking me, DH, etc. by the hand to take us where ever she needed/wanted us to go.  At first it was cute.  Now, I'm going crazy.  She's gotten extreme.  I literally don't sit for 5 seconds a day.  I know toddlers are a lot of work and require a lot of attention, but this seems ridiculous.  An example of this happened yesterday.  We were reading books on the couch.  Whenever we'd get done a book, she'd get down off the couch and go to the basket to get another (which was litterally two feet away).  She would cry and scream if I didn't get up with her and stand beside her while she picked out a book.  So, up and down every 15 seconds.  This is the way it is for everything.  She used to be very good at playing on her own.  Now, the only time she'll play on her own is if I'm on the phone.  She's constant for 12 hours a day.  Right now as I type this she is hanging off my leg crying for me to follow her around.  She's like this to a point with DH, but she's extreme with me.  When DH gets home from work, she doesn't really want him to play with her, she needs me.  DOn't get me wrong I love DD and love playing with her, but I just don't know if this is normal or if I should be giving in everytime she drags me somewhere.  I've never left her for anything other than going to work, and I'm always honest with her if I won't be here when she wakes from a nap or I won't be home in time for bedtime.  We've never let her CIO, and she doesn't get upset when I leave the house without her.  SHe waves, says bye and blows kisses.  I guess I just want to know if this is normal?  She seems to be getting so bossy, and gets mad when she doesn't get her way.  Any suggestions?? ???

Offline sammileigh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 21:14:00 pm »
i went through this with my 2 year old she was a very independant baby then all of a sudden she needed me to go everywhere with her and i found it hard to get jobs done but i realised I was mummy not her and that this behaviour wasnt going to carry on. i would give her little tasks to do like ' can you draw mummy a star while mummy does the washing up etc...' but it took a while for her realise that shes ok if mummy needs to do something for a few minutes.your daughters 17 months shes just coming into herself and finding who she is shes guna get mad when she doesnt get her own way.keep praising her when you can get her to do something by herself and you should see a difference.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Is this separation anxiety??
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 23:54:17 pm »
Sounds to me like SA, round 2 (which you at the right age for).  Just keep working at it, let her know you're there, and she will get through it eventually.