Author Topic: how do i get a 2 year old 2 acknowledge her brother?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline sammileigh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how do i get a 2 year old 2 acknowledge her brother?
« on: April 18, 2007, 17:36:27 pm »

Hi everyone , need some advice on something i've been struggling with for a while now. my two year old girl barely even looks at my one year old allday let alone play with him. she was fine when we brawt him home even nicknamed him ebbee which bless his heart i think he'll live with forever coz it just cawt on like wildflower. but then i think the novelty wore off . i know he probably duznt have alot to offer her activity wise but he wont aslong as she wont play with him, if he shuffles over to her she just run away or scream ' no ebbee thats mine' or 'dont touch me' theres a great big list of things she likes to scream at him and bless him he looks devastated when this happens. i would just like for her to acknowledge him and talk to him , theres little age difference and they could be wonderful friends eventually. i dont take sides i think i'm very fair with both of them so what can i do? please help my day would so much easier if they got along.

thanx

sammileigh xxx

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
Re: how do i get a 2 year old 2 acknowledge her brother?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 18:15:07 pm »
Hi Sammi, she's just being 2!

At that age they don't know how to play with each other. They haven't learnt those skills. You can't force her to like/acknowledge him - it will just turn her against him.
Just keep playing with the 2 of them and things will get better. She's little more than a baby herself.
Do you have one to one time with her?
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline sammileigh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 20:58:28 pm »
yeah we have 1 on 1 time thats basically how the day runs coz i struggle to even get her to sit down so i can read them both a story as soon as i bring him into the situation shes not interested nemore,shes a very bright little girl and very articulate and i just think my little boy will thrive off her given half the chance he really does adore her.

how do you cope with your brood woopster do they get along ok?

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 23:20:10 pm »
((HUGS))  hang in there.  My dd is 3 and is only just starting to do anything other than push, shove, hit or tell her little brother "No!" ::)  It is nice to see and it will get there eventually.   Like Wendy said, she is just being 2 and doesn't really know any other way!
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline woopster

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:17:02 am »
Sammi, my eldest had just turned 2 when I brought the babies home and he was interested up to a point. He would help by getting a nappy or cotton wool and also fed them occasionally, then once he realised they were here to stay he wasn't interested at all! 
He is now nearly 4 and the babies are nearly 2 and they are interacting - most of it fighting, but they are getting better!

Can you find something that they both like to do?  Maybe building tower blocks and knocking them down - most kids love that!
That's all folks!

Offline sammileigh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:48:40 am »
yeah i try n do the building blocks but my eldest gets to em first then gets the huff coz i explain i would like for us to all play, it just makes the day abit of a struggle coz he gets frustrated trying to get her attention then she gets mad coz she duznt want to play with him.the only time she will talk nicely to him is wen we are in the supermarket n she'll do wotever she can to make him laff,they're strange little creatures aren't they!! it would just be nice to see em interact for five mins so i can finish a cup of tea i cant tell you how many wasted cups of tea i get thru everyday ,its costin me a fortune in tea bags!

Offline woopster

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 07:56:41 am »
I'm with you on the t-bags!!  It will get better hon  :-*
That's all folks!

Offline sammileigh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:45:57 am »
i hope so i'm hoping if i pass my driving test 2moro things will get beta theres so much i wana show the kids i hate being stuck in the house with the tv.i wana show the kids theres more to life than cbeebies!!

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:52:14 am »
Sammi... believe it or not I've only just posted something similar (but in the discipline forum). Isabella (who is 2) doesn't really want much to do with Jasmine (who is nearly 1) and as soon as little J starts crawling over towards her, Isabella will get all distressed and worried that whatever she is playing with will be taken away from her. I've so far been removing J away because fair enough Isabella doesn't know yet how to interact play and wants space to do her own thing & I respect that....
I just wish she wouldn't get so annoyed with her all the time.

I know I have to be patient..... and it will get better....

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline sammileigh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:16:08 am »
i know it breaks my heart wen ella rejects ebbee his little face just stares at her thinkin 'i only want to say hello'.maybe i've just got to let them get on with it n hope wen hes old enuff to play tea partys she'll suddenly start showing an interest.