Author Topic: Bad reaction to peach yoghurt  (Read 1091 times)

Offline josie19

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 19, 2007, 14:49:51 pm »
My DD is 6 months old and started solids about 1 month ago.  She's had the usual rice cereal, pears, apples, pumpkin, potato, carrots without any trouble.

Last weekend we gave her some peach flavoured baby yoghurt.  After a couple of teaspoons of the yoghurt she developed a bright red rash around her mouth. (Obviously we stopped feeding her, washed her face, changed her clothes in case of food on them, checked temp etc)  After another 5 or so minutes there were also raised red spots on the rash.  The rash and spots disappeared after around 15-20minutes.  Throughout all this, she didn't show any signs of distress (as opposed to her parents!!!) and was fine for the rest of the day.

My question is, has anyone else's LO had this kind of reaction to yoghurt?? Is this hives??  Is it likely to be a milk allergy, peach allergy or could it be a reaction from the bacteria in the yoghurt on DS skin??

How long should i wait before trying yoghurt again? I was thinking i may need to delay starting other dairy products too.

If anyone else has had experience with this, your thoughts appreciated!

Ange

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Bad reaction to peach yoghurt
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 14:57:10 pm »
Sounds like a possible reaction to the milk to me. IMO 6 months is too young for cow's milk (even yogurt) and I'd hold off until at least 9 months if not longer. Is she on formula or BF?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline josie19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 15:19:10 pm »
Hi, thanks for your response.
She's BF.  I was a bit skeptical about giving her yoghurt, but my baby reference book (probably the most popular one in this country!) described it as ideal first food.  I should've trusted my instincts.  I think i'll avoid it (and other dairy) altogether until she's at least 12 months then - there are plenty of other foods to choose from.
I'm guessing that 'milk products' found in some baby cereals, powdered custards etc would have the same effect, right?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Bad reaction to peach yoghurt
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 15:24:39 pm »
Yes, I'd avoid milk products in those items too. If you want to try some "hidden dairy" in crackers, etc when she's 9 months that' might be a good way to introduce slowly.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline josie19

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 15:27:38 pm »
Great, thanks for your help!