Author Topic: sitting up & shopping carts  (Read 1523 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: April 20, 2007, 19:29:37 pm »
How well does your LO need to sit up before you put them in a grocery cart? i'm going completely stir crazy here but the car seat/grocery cart situation is too much. i've never even tried it on my own. my lo hates the car seat in the cart and it is too heavy for me to lift. it has gotten caught on some of the carts too.  i plan on using one of those grocery cart covers.

my lo is not really sitting up at all. i'm trying to get him to sit up btwn my legs but he only lasts for a few seconds. he is only interested in rolling, being on his tummy and scooting backwards.
heather

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Re: sitting up & shopping carts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 19:52:13 pm »
Hi Heather!   :)

I think Nathan was about 6 mos when we started putting him in the shopping cart.  I think at that time, he could sit up, but was still a bit wobbly, so I think I put something on each side of him (blanket?)  Does he like to be in a baby carrier?  Keaton loves, loves, loves being in the Bjorn facing out while we shop. 
Sheila
ng

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 01:40:31 am »
Ditto on what Sheila said about the carrier, Allie always goes in the Ergo when we shop (of course I've got a toddler in the front of the cart taking up the room up there) - but those shopping cart covers provide some support -- bring some blankets to put around him and try a test run where you don't actually have to buy anything. 

Offline nona

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 02:25:30 am »
we just let a friend borrow our baby bjorn b/c cade was getting way too heavy for it. our back was starting to kill us and i don't think we are wimps! i still need to buy that ergo carrier!

i'll order the shopping cart cover and do a test run w/ DH in a couple of weeks. he can sit a little if he can hold on to something w/ both hands (not tripod though). but not that great. i'll have to practice a lot this up coming week. i just hope it is sooner than later! i wasn't sure how well they needed to sit up so wobbly sounds OK. wish I could practice at home but we don't have any shopping carts laying around here  ;).

heather

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:04:10 am »
I think we were putting DS in the cart around 4.5-5 months? He wasn't sitting that great, but we just propped him up the diaper bag and whatever else we had on hand. He got the hang of it pretty quickly, holding onto the handle, etc. Wanted the cart cover, but never got around to it...
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline nona

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:29:27 pm »
great - maybe i should have tried earlier. i thought they needed to be able to sit upsupported. we'll give it a try soon. thanks so much!
heather