Author Topic: Try Wake to Sleep!!  (Read 1090 times)

Offline sarahmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: April 23, 2007, 18:36:53 pm »
Just wanted to share my success with extending 45 minute naps using W2S...I have a 10 week old who, for weeks, seemed absolutely incapable of sleeping more than 45 minutes at a time during the day.  I tried the W2S pressure at the jolts technique with NO success.  Once he started jolting, that was the end of the nap.  I had been very reluctant to try the other method, of getting them to stir a little early and enter a new sleep cycle.  I was terrified of waking him up early when he slept little enough already!!  However, I did decide to give it a try and over the past few days it has worked like magic!! I go in at 30 minutes (timers are very helpful here!) and just gently stroke his cheek enough so that he very slightly stirs.  Now naps last 1 1/2 to 2 hours and my LO is so much happier!!  I was afraid the longer naps would affect his night sleep, but so far he still sleeps like a log all night!
The moral of my story...if you have a 45 minute napper and haven't tried this version of W2S, do so.  I'm a believer!
One question, though...when do I stop doing this?  When will he learn not to need that extra little help?  Its not like its hard to do, but I don't want to be doing it for the next year...any advice?

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Try Wake to Sleep!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 22:13:43 pm »
That is great you can probably stop using it now.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Andrea(aka Jersey)

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:09:52 am »
Thanks for the success story. I have a 12wo baby who also is into 45 minute naps. I've been reluctant to try W2S fpr fear of just waking him up. But you've inspired me to try. What the worst that happens? It's not like he's been getting that much more sleep anyways.

Thanks and Congratulations

Andrea

Offline sarahmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 14:35:06 pm »
Hope it works for you!  For me, the key was that less is more...he only needed to stir ever so slightly to get into that next sleep cycle.  Oh, and to set a timer once he fell asleep, because otherwise I'd get busy and forget, or not notice the time he had fallen asleep.
All the best - and believe me, if it works, you'll be amazed with how much more time you seem to have in your day - my house is finally getting cleaned!!

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 15:33:03 pm »
I just put him down for a nap and set my timer. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Andrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Babies
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 16:15:06 pm »
It didn't work he still woke up at 45 minutes. But I'll try again later

Offline 2Pam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 16:36:02 pm »
Hi,
I have been trying the holding through the jolts method, it only seems to work for his first nap and not at all with his other two naps.  Maybe I should try this other technique.  Or should I keep on with the holding the jolts. . . ah, what to do.  The gently stirring them seems less time consuming.  Hi Andrea!

Pam

Offline Lillys Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 22:33:29 pm »
Hi!

Can you help!?!?  I tried the W2S today after 30 minutes with my 10 1/2 week old and during one nap she wiggled and turned her head and durning th enext nap she actually popped her eyes open for a split second but both times she still woke up after 45 minutes.  I Have to get rid of these 45 minute naps because Lilly is SO SO SO TIRED at the end of the day and I work from home and am loosing clients! 

HELP!!!  Should I just keep trying?  Maybe I should wake her more?  I was thinking that mybe I should actually pick her up and turn her over to the other side and then pat her back until the 45 minute mark has passed?

I really need ideas!  Help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!! :D