Author Topic: Strongly Independent 11 month old already struggling with meals!  (Read 1483 times)

Offline nursekat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
Hiya there!  I just have a few quick questions...my dd has always been a great eater but has recently started refusing ALL pureed or anything on a utensil that I have to feed her.  She wants to feed herself everything.  However...she eats very slowly and then doesn't eat much - she's gone from eating around 6-8oz of pureed to MAYBE 2oz of finger foods.  I have noticed her crankiness level has increased dramatically - in the past she always was cranky on days where she didn't eat as much, so I'm thinking she's just snacking.  Since I'm trying to lower her bottle intake in an attempt to wean them in the next few months, I'd like to get her to take more solids but instead she's taking more bottle!  I'm also getting worn out from her increased crankiness.  So I had some thoughts and was wondering what you genius mommies thought:

- lower how much I offer per bottle
- feed solids more often...as in when she starts getting cranky, plop her in her highchair for some more

Hmmm I had another question but mommy brain (and the fact that I'm supposed to be walking out the door right now for an appt) has interceded.  I'll post it later if I think of it.

What I tried today, but didn't work, was to only offer pureeds first, and if she refused to just try again in 15mins.  Nope.  No go on that one. 

Variety is not too bad of an issue, she'll eat most things I give her, but again she only eats a tiny portion and then is done, then cranky and hour later.

Thanks in advance!  ;D  Like I said I'm on my way out but I just peeked and I see a LOT of threads on here that I need to read!  I'll be back!   :-*

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: Strongly Independent 11 month old already struggling with meals!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 21:07:05 pm »
When Alex started to want to feed herself I noticed that she wasn't eating as much.  But I did give her a spoon and let her do it and I got some in with my spoon too.
I'm sure that the mods will have better advice for you but what I did was to give her food at meal times and some snacks in between if I thought that she hadn't had enough, but I do notice even now that some days her food intake is hardly anything and other days (like today) she can't get enough.  I made homemade soup last night for today's lunch and she had 3 helpings (she did only eat half the 3rd bowl) and she also ate beef, potaoes and vegetables for dinner, she was good yesterday, but Sauturday she hardly ate a thing.  I bet that she will have another off day tomorrow after all the food she ate today.  It seems to go like that.

I am a childminder and I do think that if we make too much of a fuss they will refuse it even more, try not to stress and let her learn to do it herself, but offering healthy snacks when their appetite is low should help to keep their strength up.
I hope that helps.
Mari

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 00:34:58 am »
How much milk is she drinking per day? At her age I would think you could cut back to about 20 oz. in a 24 hr. period, and start offering solids before milk (if you're not already doing so). As the PP suggested, you could try letting her feed with a spoon, and at the same time offer her bites with a spoon you are controlling. May be a little messy but hey, that's ok!

I think it is also important to let her really practice with the finger foods, as if you do this consistently she will be eating larger amounts in no time. I agree if she is getting cranky soon after a meal sit her down for another "snack" of finger foods. Practice makes perfect!

Offline nursekat

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:21 am »
How much milk is she drinking per day? At her age I would think you could cut back to about 20 oz. in a 24 hr. period

Sorry, Stacy, but I just had to laugh at this!  I have been struggling to get milk in her for months, it'd be a HUGE day if I ever got 20oz in her, LOL!   :-*  As it is now, she has definitely upped her milk intake and she's up to 16oz max a day.  She's a tiny little thing at under 18lbs! 

Anyway, I have not been fighting her on it, just offering the spoon and if she turns away I wait (while she works on finger foods), then offer again a little later, etc.  For the past two weeks she's been happy to take a combo of pureeds and finger foods, and then just all-out stopped this past weekend.  I was just thinking of offering only spoon food first, and if she refuses wait a bit until she's a little hungrier?

I guess I wouldn't be this worried since she still is eating a good variety of stuff, I just think it's the cause of her excess crankiness the past few days - it started when she stopped taking pureeds.

I give her a bottle when she first wakes, just to help her transition in the morning (since she is a sleepyhead when she wakes like I am), but she never takes much for this bottle - only 3-4oz.  We usually wait an hour for solids, but then the other two bottles we do after solids.  She was only taking 3-4oz for those, too, until she stopped eating pureeds and now she sucks a 6oz bottle dry.

This afternoon I just let her eat as long as she wanted, and when she started getting cranky an hour later, I fed her some more again.  It seemed to work pretty well, I'll try that again tomorrow and let you gals know.

the independance thing, well goood luck cause if shes got it, its not gonna end!

LOL, tell  me about it!  :D  Up until this point she's been mostly textbook but all-out spirited sleeper, now she's spirited in other ways as well.  I'm not battling it, but it does wear me out by the end of the day.  :P  Distraction, distraction, distraction....and it doesn't always work!  ;D

daybyday

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:36:36 am »
hey Kat...just a thought...(Both my babes are incredible eaters, so I am no authority by ANY means)...

but what if you finger fed her while she feeds herself...?

Maybe she's developed an aversion to the spoon?

Good luck...

and one more thing...just popped into my mind...after DS had started solids and I'd introduced all the 1st and 2nd stage foods...I tried to move onto the 3rd stage (like beef, noodles and veggies, mixed)...He wasn't having ANY of that...flat out refusal...we started feeding him table food from then on... :-*

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:08:39 am »
Purees...you mean children actually eat them from a spoon after 9months... not mine. I'm sitting reading your post (not meaning to offend) thinking hey wow she has got to 11months how lucky... both mine refused to be fed (except by themselves) from about 9-10mo.
I might say now at 3.5 & 23mo both use forks pretty much properly,  eldest with knife...youngest just starting with the knife & neither use a Bib... even for mushy breakfast food & spag bol...I had no choice & learnt how to make vegi balls, meat balls & all manner of food in finger style.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

andibig

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:06:24 am »
Kath
I remember Sasha doing exactly the same at that age.Refused point blank to be spoon fed and limited amounts of finger foods.
I think for Sasha she wanted more variety with regards to finger foods.So one day I served up Spag Bog put the bowl in front of her and showed her to eat it with her hands.Never looked back after that.
She could spoon feed herself by the time she was 13 months as that was something else she wanted to do her self.With food she has always been fairly independent on feeding her self.

Offline nursekat

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 14:49:10 pm »
Thanks ladies, no offenses taken!  Don't worry, I'm happy to transition to finger foods, I just truly believe she is eating enough to not be hungry, but not full, so is cranky an hour later.  Yes Stacy she is sleeping through but I think this is because she's upped her milk intake, which is causing a little angst because I was hoping to wean the bottle soon.  So I'm going to experiment with not offering as much milk, and seeing if it helps her solids intake. 

What's a Spag Bog?

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 21:54:16 pm »
Kath she may well be upping her milk intake as she is following her body & if she is getting close to a walking stage she may well need that calcium. If she isn't having too much milk (16oz isn't too much) then I think you need to stop worrying & let her take the lead.
As others have said if she is sleeping then she isn't hungry. Try offering her the milk in a sippy or even braving an open cup (my ds#2 could do an open cup at 13mo... never had a bottle & had a brother to copy though) rather than cutting it out, then you get the best of both worlds.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline nursekat

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:50:32 am »
Kate you read my mind, I was just thinking of starting with the open cup at breakfast tomorrow, since she never takes much of her morning bottle anyway.  She's already really good at the open cup, and LOVES drinking from it...

Thanks, all!  :D  I will commence my chilling-out now.  :D