Author Topic: 18mo and milk  (Read 1161 times)

Offline lisi's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 155
18mo and milk
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:15:01 am »
Dd is a funny thing when it comes to milk, she loves it but only warm, only in a bottle, and only held by me. I have tried a sippy over and over again, but she's not interested. Everything else can come out of a proper cup, bottle with a straw, you name it - just not milk.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it ok to cut out milk at this age, as it's either that or keep going with the 3 bottles? Or maybe just moving her down to 1 bottle before bed.

Katie
Katie

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 18mo and milk
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:42:07 am »
Katie - Jalyn will not drink milk... no ifs, ands or buts about it!

As long as she's getting the calcium and fat from somewhere else (cheese, yogurt...) she should be fine.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

andibig

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:50:11 am »
Katie
Sasha only dropped btls over a month ago.simply wasn't interested b4 then.she'd drink other fluids out of cups but milk had to be in a btl,warm and snuggle time as well ;D ;D.
We just decided one day to put her milk in a cup and after a couple of days she was fine.
personally i think btls are fine as long as you make sure you brush their teeth b4 bed etc and they will drop them when they are ready.

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 14:25:31 pm »
Rachel, that's kind of our problem - she's not really into dairy, so without milk I can't quite guarantee her calcium intake  :-\
Katie

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thomas Lars - slippery when wet.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:56 am »
Hi ! YOur posting has answered my question about dropping night time bottle, my boy only has one bottle now at night before bed. Dropping the others was no issue at all, but that is not your story. You mentioned that lo isnt into dairy.I thought thomas wasnt either, but I tried hin on a great receipie I got from this website. it is a great one to put all sorts of things in, and great for calicium.
Cook rice, with some broccoli or zucchini, a peeled tomatoe. When cooked, nice and soft, mix in marscapone chesse until sofr. yummy. I will try to find exact rec. and post again. Give it a go.
Anna

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 13:31:45 pm »
Thanks Anna,
I do something similar but with cream cheese, daren't have mascarpone in the house - I like it WAY too much  ::)

Katie

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 13:47:52 pm »
you could give dropping the bottles a go for a few day, missing milk, calicum for that long will not matter, just see what happens, you might be surpirsed

i remember dd1 was similar, i just didn't worry, she worked herself up to 500mls, we do it in a pop top bottle and heaps of other diary

Offline Stace

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • Look into my eyes, not around my eyes.....
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 14:26:44 pm »

Hay Katie,

We dropped DS to 2 bottles (1 before nap and 1 @ bedtime) around his first birthday at the same time we changed to cows milk and he adjusted no problems at all. We still give him 2 bottles most days but if we miss one or both out he doesn't even notice.

I give DS babybel's or cubes of chedder which took him a little while to take to but everytime I go near the fridge now he says cheese well teass actually! I also give him yoghurt's, rice pudding, custard, cottage cheese (still not impressed with that yet), room temp milk with a little strawberry crusha (milkshake) in it or cooled hot chocolate with very little choc in it and add more milk products to his meals.

HTH's?

Stace x

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 14:29:03 pm »
Katie-that got me thinking (I hate it when that happens) but in Canada we have things like cheese with added calcium, orange juice with added calcium (tropicana) and certain other products that have added calcium. doesn't she like yogurt or cottage cheese or anything? how about a calcium supplement and ask your doctor?
Laura
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 15:00:44 pm »
her aversion to cheese (philly aside) is so strong that I wonder if there isn't something in it that doesn't agree with her. Soy yougurt is ok, normal yog she'll eat about a third of a pot at a time, so not really a big hit.

I like and dislike at the same time that we don't really get food that's had stuff done to it - ready meals are practically non existant, oj is either buying a kilo of oranges or getting that really nasty stuff from concentrate - boy do I miss tropicana (with or without calcium)!

I'm trying to hold off the bottles to see if she'll come around to the sippy, if she hasn't after another 3 or 4 days I guess I'll reinstate them.
Katie

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 15:07:12 pm »
funny isn't it..how damn stubborn they can be at such young ages. I had to laugh (sort of) bc I tried to give Madelaine her night time milk in a sippy the other night and she hit it out of my  hand. I put it back into her bottle and she took it right away. She's been refusing milk at her meals lately (I'm thinking she's too full for her milk) so she only gets about 6oz a day. She'll have some in her cereal tho. Will Lisi take milk with her cereal-warm or cold?
How bout sneaking it in other things? Scrambled eggs with milk etc. Sour cream with her potatoes for dipping..(can you tell what M likes LOL)

Have you ever tried that Laughing Cow cheese? It's supposed to be good for calcium and if she likes Philly she might like that too...you've tried all sorts of cheese? How about those little Babybel cheese? M loves those..just her size.

Tropicana Yummy LOL
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline lisi's mum

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 16:05:15 pm »
I've had the exact same thing when trying to give her a sippy before now - wails and refusals, then gobble gobble the second it was in  a bottle  ::) Manipulation? You bet!

you name it with cheese I've tried it. I can get a bit of mozzarella or quark in her, and hiding milk works pretty well. The sour cream potatoes won't go as she doesn't like potatoes in any form (WHAT kid doesn't like cheese or potatoes  :P) No actually she's a pretty good eater these days, that stuff aside, but I kind of want to keep her milk intake up at 500ml if I can help it - takes the pressure off the other stuff.
K x
Katie

andibig

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 21:29:47 pm »
Katie
Sasha does not like potatoes either (unless its in the form of a chip ::))
What about custard? You could try bananas and custard.
Does she like pasta?you could put milk in the sauces as well.