Author Topic: Chronic Constipation? Consider Milk Allergy  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Chronic Constipation? Consider Milk Allergy
« on: April 24, 2007, 13:14:52 pm »
Just wanted to post this for anyone out there with LOs with chronic constipation. My LO was basically constipated from birth. Recently, my Ped switched her to goat's milk, showing us a LOT of research on how constipation is a major sign (and sometimes one of the only symptoms) of cow's milk allergy/intolerance. Doesn't surprise me since DD had trouble with milk as an infant and milk intolerance runs in both mine and DH's family. Apparently allergies as infants can change and manifest in other ways - like some babies might have blood in stool and aggravated reflux from milk as infants but just constipation (sometimes with other symptoms like frequent colds and stuffy/runny noses and behavioral issues) as toddlers and older children.

For us, the change to goat's milk, in combination with a high fiber diet (we give DD 4-6 ounces of fiber juice every day) seems to help and her constant congestion has cleared up too!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Re: Chronic Constipation? Consider Milk Allergy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 19:16:33 pm »
Interesting.

My 10.5 month old has struggled with constipation since birth and we just learned recently that he has a milk allergy. 

The only thing that has me puzzled is that he has been on soy formula since he was about 2-3 months, due to a rash on his face that the Dr thought may be a reaction.  He was also constipated on the soy.

Cindy

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 21:50:30 pm »
my youngest was severely constipated on regular formula and soya formula and ended up on suppositories to have a poo.once switched onto pepti-junior she was/is a different child.i was recently told if something had not been done permenant damage could have been done to her intestine with the amount of poo  in there...jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:49:19 am »
Cindy - many LOs who have a dairy allergy/intolerance have one to soy as well. And in addition to that, soy can be constipating on its own. How did you find out your LO has a milk allergy and want did the doctor suggest?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 15:12:24 pm »
So far, we're cutting out all dairy.  Although Matthew still has some vomiting and I'm not sure why. (There's another post on that, which I think you responded to.:))  I haven't contacted the Dr since last week.  He wants to stay posted on how Matthew is doing so I should call sometime soon.

Yes, soy is very constipating for him.  Up until a few weeks ago, he had to have help, and we gave him mineral oil daily to keep things moving.  (I HATED doing that.)  But, recently, (in the last few weeks) he is regular as long as he gets prunes every day.  He loves prunes, thank goodness!

I'm going to move to the other post, should we just go from there.

THANKS!
Cindy

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 13:48:39 pm »
Marisa'sMama,

Do you have any literature about this?  I'm in the process of switching Matthew to Nutramigen and he had a BIG poopy diaper yesterday (the biggest of his life, I think!) and I'm attributing it to the allergies he has to milk and soy.  I'd like to show it to his Dr.

Thanks!
Cindy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 15:56:33 pm »
I'll see what I can find and will PM to you!

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 19:06:18 pm »
Thanks a million!

em_here

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 19:15:02 pm »
My lo has MPI and reflux which was caused by it, she had blood in her stool, but she just had the runs constantly which was how she was diagnosed, did not know it could also cause constipation, did not know it could go both ways, have learnt something new

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 14:01:10 pm »
Well, it's official.  We switched to Nutramigen and my son had his first "blow out" poopy diaper and he's almost 11 months!  Before this, his messes were pepple-y or at best, semi soft.  Today's leaked out of the diaper and onto his leg.  Who would have thought I'd be excited about something like that, but I sure am!

Sorry if this is too much info! ;D

Cindy

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 15:11:03 pm »
 :) :),really happy you are getting somewhere.hopefully there will be no stopping him now ;)....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05