Author Topic: changing a wriggly baby's bum.  (Read 1927 times)

Offline kit-twigglet

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
changing a wriggly baby's bum.
« on: April 29, 2007, 13:34:12 pm »

Help!! my third child, Ezme, who is just 9 months, is the most wriggly baby when it comes to changing her nappy. i use cloth nappies with poppers which i'm going to change to Velcro but i still am going to have problems. I've tried hanging things from my neck, singing and keeping toys just for this occasion but nothing works. It's not that she doesn't like having her bum changed she just likes to wriggle!! anyone got any suggestions?
Karen, all the way from India.

mother of Aletheia 28 April 2003
              Jude  7 August  2004
               Ezme 28 July 2005 ::)

Offline Poppy & Lily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
  • UK
Re: changing a wriggly baby's bum.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 16:25:59 pm »
hi Karen and welcome :) :)

I remember DD was exactly the same it used to take me ages to change her nappy ::) i used to try and distract her sometimes it worked other times it didn't ::)

I'm just going to pop this over to the activity forum as you will get more replies over there, hope you don't mind :) :) :)

xxxxx
Poppy-lilys mum

http://b1.lilypie.com/rkqp0/.png[/img][/url]

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 18:15:07 pm »
This suggestion is not too exciting, but my lo likes "talking" into an empty plastic food container -- cottage cheese.  It echos a bit and sounds silly. 

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 20:33:58 pm »
If you lay them across your lap it's much easier.  I am a childminder and it has worked for every baby that I have cared for.  Use a towell if you suspect a poo!! 
It takes practise, but honestly it's the best way  I was advised to do this by my friend who is a mother of triplets, if it worked for her then it had to work for me and it did.

Offline Hannah's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Two!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:53:37 am »
I second the lap idea.  I found on accident (while toweling dd off one day in my lap) that'd she held still then.  I'd bend one leg & put that leg's foot on my other knee and set her right in there--if that makes any sense.  It really made a huge difference--the times I thought of doing it!  My lo started getting crazy during changes (crying & everything!) at about the same time as yours, I think, and she just suddenly snapped out of it last week--right after talking to some other moms at a play area about the same thing!  Makes me wonder if she caught on to what we were saying. ;)  She's turning 15 mo. tomorrow.  Now, she still cries and fights when I lay her down to change her, but then she holds still and we're done so fast!!!  Oh, you can also try to make a game otu of it, that usually made it bearable.  I literally had to "kiss her feet" to get her to let me change her.  ;)  I'd grab her feet and kiss the bottoms of them, switching between them rapidly, and giggle and tease her.  That usually got her calmed down enough after I'd wiped her bum to let me get the diaper on--okay, well, at least one velcro tab done!!!  New toys helped sometimes, but I think having her on my lap and having a game helped more consistently.  Hope yours grows out of it faster than mine did! :) 
Hannah - 3 Feb 2006
Angel Baby - 15 Feb 2008

Offline kit-twigglet

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 14:24:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about the lap, it is easier, I'll have to try crossing my leg over the other and see if it stops her shooting off my knee's!! ;D ;D
karen. :D

Offline nwmm

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 01:10:43 am »
Hannah's Mom.  I am studying your description of how to do it.  I really am.  Can you explain it again?

My email notification does not seem to be working properly so it might take me a day or so to respond,

Thank you!!! :D

Offline Hannah's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Two!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 01:34:17 am »
Sorry, my brain wasn't working that day.  ;D Pretty much, just cross my legs: ankle of one leg on the knee of the other, probably just like the person after me laughed about likely needing to do.  I then lay her diagonally across my lap--head against my knee (of the crossed over leg). I am probably describing things much more complexed than I need too!  ;)  BTW, I like your empty container idea.  ;D
Hannah - 3 Feb 2006
Angel Baby - 15 Feb 2008

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 20:56:34 pm »
My way is that I lay them across my knee and their head is resting on the settee, put a pillow to prop the head.  If you suspet a poo then I'd suggest a towell on your lap as well!

Offline nwmm

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 19:33:13 pm »
Thanks Hannah.  Thanks Mari.

So interesting.  I never had anyone suggest that. 

My Dr. suggested I sing a song.  When the song is over, the child knows that diapering is done.  I didn't bother to ask "what song?"  ;D