Author Topic: Need ideas for foods in 1 year going to daycare  (Read 904 times)

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Need ideas for foods in 1 year going to daycare
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:12:42 am »
Well, my LO just turned one a few days ago and he will be going to daycare in the next two weeks.  I am not sure what kind of food should I pack with him to go to daycare.  We are chinese and since young he has loved to eat more of soupy kind of meals.  He likes noodle soups, congee (which is like rice very well cooked in a lot of water so it looks like a thick soup).  I believe no one in the staff will sit down and feed him for 30 min to 45 min so I definitely will have to change his diet.  I just do not know what kinds of healthy foods I can pack for him when he starts going to daycare.  Boy, I am starting to worry since I believe he will lose weight!  Thanks.

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
Re: Need ideas for foods in 1 year going to daycare
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:43 am »
Well, if my DD was still going to daycare I would be packing:

fresh fruit (chopped already, or with instruction on what size to chop it etc)
sandwhich (with cream cheese, thinly sliced deli meat, avacado etc, or even vegemite etc)
yoghurt
tinned fruit
Lots of fluids

I also used to leave a little container with arrowroot biscuits in case they needed additional food

But get creative...if you packed vegies - pre cooked and asked that they heated them in the microwave - they would do that, and that could be finger food or mashed (I agree they won't sit for 30-45 mins, but they will sit for a bit and do SOME puree/mash)
Rice dishes that can be eaten as finger food- pre cooked, just ask them to reheat....

HTH
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
Be careful about sending you rown foods to be reheated by the staff.  Some establishments won't reheat foods unless they are shop bought with instruction on the packaging.  (They would have no idea how the food was made, reheated previously etc, so they have to safeguard themselves)  Check with your dayare providers for advice before sending your own food in.

You could go for plenty of finger foods and ensure that he has a good meal when he comes home in the evening.

Here are some ideas
Bread, Cooked or Raw Carrots, Diced Fruit, Dried Fruit, Cheese, Boiled Egg, Cucumber, Cold Pasta, Tomatoes, Cold Meats. 
He shouldn't lose weight, as long as you give him plenty to eat.  Some children snack all day, but I like mine to have at least one full meal per day.
HTH

Offline rinajack

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:40:21 am »
Oh Mari, I never thought of that...the daycare I used never said they wouldn't...they just gave her what I asked - if she refused the reheated food though, there had to be a backup for later since I never re-reheat, and wouldn't let them do that....
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:43:10 am »
I dont think it's the law, but some could have their own rules to safeguard.  I would have them in place as the implications could be disastrous!  Not saying that you would send in previously reheated food, but you know some parents.  ::)

Offline rinajack

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:32 am »
Sadly, yep I do ::)
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 21:29:36 pm »
Thank you ladies for your ideas and recommendations.  I will have to check with the daycare to see if they will warm up food for me.  Boy! his diet is really going to change.  He is not really that used to eating all that.  Plus lately he has not been wanting to chew much since he is teething.  Anybody else with more suggestions and great ideas variations?  I am more than willing to get more suggestions.  Thanks gals

Offline rinajack

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 22:20:10 pm »
When teething, my lo likes to chew cold stuff more than anything else, so fruit is always good- have you tried that?
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10