Author Topic: help-won't drink cow's milk  (Read 690 times)

Offline mommysboy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 02, 2007, 22:49:33 pm »
So I was wondering how to encourage my 16 month old son to drink more cow's milk. He never had formula, only breastmilk from me or a bottle I pumped--he still nurses first thing in the morning and last thing before bed, but that's all at this point. He eats really great, very well rounded meals, lots of variety with fruits and veggies, and we work hard at not giving him junk. He eats a lot of dairy products-cottage cheese, chunks of cheese, yogurt.

He just isn't interested in drinking milk. I'm sure it's different than the taste of milk he's used to. I put it in his cup with a straw like all of his drinks but he just pushes it away. He LOVES water. This child can really drink a ton of water which I'm glad for that as opposed to juices and soda. I even put a few drops of chocolate syrup in it once to see what he would do, but I don't want to do that long term at all. He drank a little more than usual, but then still pushed it away. Any ideas on how to encourage him into drinking more milk? I just want to make sure he's getting what he needs, although I'm sure he gets a lot with his other dairy products. Thanks!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: help-won't drink cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 02:34:54 am »
Have you tried warming the milk? Have you tried soy milk or other milks as an alternative? I wouldn't be concerend about dairy intake since he likes cheese and yogurt but unless you live in a year-round warm, sunny climate it's hard to get enough Vitamin D without either milk or a vitamin supplement.

BTW, nothing wrong with adding a bit of chocolate (Ovaltine is pretty healthy) if he drinks more that way.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01