Author Topic: 18 month old really hates the bath...  (Read 1105 times)

Offline evelyn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« on: May 03, 2007, 20:33:56 pm »
I wasn't too sure where to post this...mods lease move if thereis a more appropriate place.

It was always dh's "job" to do Lily's bath, every second evening, as I work late and he doesn't get home til 6. She used to love playing in the water, never too keen with the hairwashing, but still enjoyed it.  Anyhoo, she had a few bouts of colds and strep throat, so we didn't want to bath her while she was poorly...now she freaks at the very mention of a bath :( runs away saying "no way".  We tried putting her in with big sis...but Al is a bit too playful ::) and frightens her.  She has sat down a few times playing, but if she sees the sponge she has a conniption ::)

This evening I ran a bath, just for her to play, I sat in with my feet in the water, and handed her some suds, as she got braver we started to put it on each others noses.  Eventually she sat on my lap...which I thought was progress :-\.....thing is she really needs to have her hair washed.....but I don't want to frighten her again and am hoping to take things slowly.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to help her to enjoy the whole bathing experience??

Thanks.
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline Minibird

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: 18 month old really hates the bath...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 20:58:22 pm »
My lo loved her baths from the beginning, then went through a phase when she hated them.  We got through it by me joining her in the bath (including washing my own hair with great enthusiasm), which she seemed happier with for a while.  It only took a week or two & now she is back to bathing on her own and loves all the extra space to splash around in!
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 18 month old really hates the bath...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:36:28 am »
Sounds like you're totally doing the right thing here and approaching it slowly and on her terms.  Most of what I've heard from people who have had issues with their LOs hating the bath is to go slow -- get in there with her, or get in there without her and encourage her to join you.  Get new bath toys (have her help pick them out), bath crayons, special soap, etc.  Let her play in the empty bathtub.  Put her in there for a few days just to play -- no washing or anything.  Maybe she'd be up for a shower?  My 2 yo recently discovered the joy of showering with Mommy.  Quite fun :)