Author Topic: BIG loss of appetite in 16mo due to teething- should I worry?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
After a break of 7months from teeth  ;D we are now teething big time! I think she's working on her molars as they are due next.
She has always been such a good eater, loves her food and very rarely refuses anything she is given but for the past week or more just doesn't want to eat much at all. I know it's due to teeth but just wondered if I should be concerned at her loss of appetite? She's still on 2 bottles of cow's milk per day but has halved the amount she is taking there as well. She is really suffering, poor love.
She is a big girl, tall for her age and a good weight too (25lb). I guess I just need some reassurance from those with experience of this! Please?
]

Offline annary

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thomas Lars - slippery when wet.
Re: BIG loss of appetite in 16mo due to teething- should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 16:55:45 pm »
Hi! Gosh we are in same boat. I was just thinking of posting the same thing. Although Thomas is happily eating stuff, his evening bottle (the only one of the day) is now becoming a no go zone. He is also teething badly. I figure there is nothing I can do, but surf this one out. He has been waking very early in the morning, like 4.30 , so I am having to give him a bottle then. He feasts on this, and then gives me a blissful hour or two of sleep thereafter.
I have found with the teething he has really enjoyed chewing on bread crusts and wierdly enough chewy salami sticks??? (Happened by accident whne he stole one off my plate.) he doesnt swallow it but I think  the chewing in nice for him. I also found that some days were better than others. I just kept offering him food and he would take it or leave it.....
In answer to you question, and having been through great fluctuations of appetite of my lo, I would not worry. Can you give her some pain relief? SOme mums are really funny about giving them it, but my thinking is -if they are in pain I will do anything to take it away, and if it means a glug of calpol then so be it! I found, then he suddenly ate better and even took some of his bottle.hang in there those darned toothypegs will pop out eventually! Hugs Anna

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 18:35:43 pm »
hi there! My ds did the same and it's impossible not to worry! ALl I can suggest is prepare her fav things and offer lots of little snacks too. If u r at all worried about her intake there are good supplements to take. EG over here u can get these sachets called 'rinforza' which have all the nutrients and stuff of a good balanced meal so if DD skips a few meals in a row u chuck one of these into her bottle and at least u knw shes getting what she needs. Not sure what the equivalent in the UK is but would be happy to send u some
HTH

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 18:47:41 pm »
Just wanted to say we had the same - a horrible 6 weeks, dd actually lost weight  :'( but it got better. It's so hard not to worry, but she won't damage herself, her body knows what it's doing.

Meal suppliments helped here too (thanks for that one Michelle  ;)) although if I made it full strength she wouldn't touch the stuff. Instead I put 1 scoop in her bottle and a couple scoops of baby oatmeal.

Bloody teeth!
Katie

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 19:56:34 pm »
thanks guys for your reassurance! I am trying to give her lots of sloppy food which doesn't involve much chewing and it seems to be helping. Teeth are evil!  ::)
]