Author Topic: Occasional blood in stool, a milk allergy?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Zacsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Occasional blood in stool, a milk allergy?
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:54:46 am »
My DS had an extremely small amount of blood in his stool a couple of weeks ago.  The doctor said it could be a milk allergy if it happens regularly (he did have a little crack on his anus that the doctor thought might be due to him straining to poop).  It didn't happen again until this evening.  It seems to occur on his fussy days, when he is bf often (sucking because of a tummy ache?) and pooping often too.(sometimes slight green due to too much formilk).  I did have a lot of onions in the last few days, as well as shrimp, which I also had two weeks ago.  Could it just be something I ate?  I eat milk products on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to have been a problem.  He is a gassy fellow, at times he seems constipated, spits up a lot, but is a great sleeper and not overly fussy during the day (except when fighting sleep).  What do you think?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Occasional blood in stool, a milk allergy?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:03:37 am »
I would think if a milk allergy he'd have the blood more often. However, milk allergy can also lead to constipation and make spitting up worse. Couldn't hurt to eliminate dairy from your diet for two weeks and see what happens?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Zacsmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:17:47 am »
Should I eliminate all milk proteins/soy or just major dairy products like cheese, yogurt, milk?  I"m really not too excited about reading labels!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:06:55 am »
You can start with just all cheese, yogurt and milk and take it from there. Reading labels is never fun, but... Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01