Author Topic: Mom needs hints for adjusting LO to daycare  (Read 1063 times)

Offline hawkeye1315

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Mom needs hints for adjusting LO to daycare
« on: May 11, 2007, 13:56:57 pm »
My LO will be starting daycare in 2 and a half months.  He'll be 16mths at that time.  Can anyone share hints on making the adjustment to daycare as smooth as possible for both DS and scared Mom?  The daycare is already said I can integrate him slowly starting with a 1 hour introduction while I am present, to longer times spanning a couple of hours to half days then eventually whole days.

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
Re: Mom needs hints for adjusting LO to daycare
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:51:12 am »
Hi, what is your little one's personality?  Is he used to you being away from him?

I found it easier than I though, although I got half way through the day and had the strongest urge to leave work and go play with DD! Now I often think, 'aww it's 12:15, she'll be just falling asleep now' which I find comforting   :)

I found the best approach with DD was to get up earlier and allocate at least 15 minutes at the creche with her so she didn't feel like she was being dumped there.  I still do that over a year later, and since I only work 3 days a week, it's only 3 days I get up early.  She rarely gets upset when I leave and I think it's because she knows I'm not running out the door and also that I will wait until she is OK.  If she does get upset it's 99% of the time a sign that she is coming down the something. 

Some kids will try to milk the situation and pull out all the tricks in the book.  But because DD knows once I say I am leaving I will leave.  I think it's best to look for the signs that he is OK with his environment and once you've said you are going you need to follow through. 

I've seen kids who get upset when there parents leave and once you have left the building they are checking out what toys are out today! 
I've only seen one kid who was inconsolable for quite some time. 

I also like that I get to creche early (about 7:15) as there aren't too many kids there yet, so the room is not overwhelming.  DD likes to check everyone out and then she's happy to do as she wants.  It also means I pick her up earlier and there's still some day left for us.

I think your son age is a good age to start creche, for the most part, they are up walking, can communicate basic needs, and are aware you come back.  They also have such fun doing all the activities, dancing, painting etc.

GOOD LUCK! 
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8