Author Topic: 6 month old fighting naps and only taking 30 minutes.  (Read 16950 times)

Offline kimber1328

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old fighting naps and only taking 30 minutes.
« on: May 11, 2007, 14:34:13 pm »
First let me apologise if this topic has come up before. I searched and read many many threads with the same issues but some didn't really apply to my situation that is why I decided to post my problem also. My son has just turned 6 months. He use to nap in the mornings 2-3 hours and another nice long nap in the afternoon. But now it is a fight to get him to go down for his nap and when he does it is only for 30 minutes. I can set my watch to the second he falls asleep and when he wakes up. Little Monkey  :)

Here is our schedule:

6 am wake/feed
8-8:30 nap (30 minutes)
9 am wake/feed (usually doesn't eat much at this time)
12 pm nap (30 minutes)
12:30 wake/feed
2:30-3pm nap (30 minutes)
5pm supper (we just started him on solids)
5:30 bath/massage/read/bottle
6:30 Sleep for the night no waking

Should I wait longer between naps? He is in activity time for about 2 hours. Should this be longer? I have been watching his signs of being sleepy and he is showing them, yawning and rubbing eyes and we go to his room change him, but some soft music on and I put him to bed but he fights and cries and refuses to go down and when he eventually does it only last for 30 minutes. I don't believe in crying it out so that is out of the question as a solution. I think he should be napping for longer periods then just the 30 minutes. I do the same thing everytime I put him down for his nap but he isn't liking it one bit.  Any suggestions? I am totally lost at what to try next.

thanks
Kimber

Offline malialeanne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Really, mom? More pictures?
Re: 6 month old fighting naps and only taking 30 minutes.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 17:31:24 pm »
Hi Kimber,

If he was taking longer naps before and sleeping well at night, then it's most likely a routine/ sleep distribution issue. Once you get those things sorted out naps should improve.

The first thing I notice about your routine is that at 6 months he can probably go closer to 4 hours between feeds. I realize it's tough with the short naps. He should also be moving toward 2 naps per day although he may not drop the catnap for another month or so.

If he's sleeping 11.5 hours at night, you're not likely to get 2 2-hour naps from him in the daytime--that's 15.5 hours of sleep. Most 6 month old babies just don't need that much sleep. 14 hours, give or take an hour or so, is more average for his age (though he could need a bit more or less). As babies get older and shift more of their sleep to to the nighttime (which is a good thing!) their nap patterns shift around, which is what you may be experiencing. They still need to nap! But about 3 hours of daytime sleep and 10-11 hours of nightime sleep is closer to what you can realistically expect from him.

With 11.5 hours at night and 1.5 hours of day sleep, he's getting 13 hours. He may not need much more than that. If you want him to nap you may have to reduce nighttime sleep. I know that's probably not a popular response, but that's just the facts based on the numbers. Babies need daytime sleep as well as nighttime sleep, so it's up to parents to make sure the sleep distribution is appropriate. I would aim for 11 hours at night and try to consolidate the 3 naps into two longer ones. So ideally you could aim for:

6 a.m. - wake
9 a.m. - nap one
10:30 a.m. - wake
1:30 p.m. - nap two
3 p.m. wake
7 p.m. bedtime

HTH,
Malia
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 20:58:51 pm by malialeanne »
Malia

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:41:57 pm »
Hi there.Sorry to intrude but i have also been having the same issues with my dd.She will be 7months old tomorrow and we are having the 30min naps too.I usually put her down after 2.5hrs.Shall i slowly start extending it to 3.

Offline malialeanne

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 20:59:29 pm »
Hi Tammy,

What were naps like before the 30 minute naps started? Can you post your routine? Thanks!

Malia
Malia

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:50:16 am »
Hya.Naps were always pretty good.

Heres yersterdays routine,

6:30 wake/bottle
9:00 nap(30mins)
10:30 solids/bottle
12:00 nap (30mins)
2:30 solids/bottle
2:30 nap (30mins)
6:30 bath/bottle
7pm bed

Offline malialeanne

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 16:54:20 pm »
Hi Tammy,

It looks like she's getting a nice long sleep at night. At 7 months you might be able to extend A times to 3 hours or so, and hopefully drop the catnap once your first two naps extend.

HTH,
Malia
Malia

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 19:21:30 pm »
Great.will give it ago.Thanks.

Once again,sorry for the intrution.

Offline kimber1328

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:58:11 am »
About 20 minutes after I posted my message. My computer decided to die on me so my apologies for not saying thank you until now. I haven't been able to get your advice until now either. Things haven't changed. He is still doing the 30 minutes naps. So frustrating. Tomorrow we will start on your advice and see how that goes. 

Tammy please don't feel you have intruded. I certainly don't. As much as I hate that you and your lo are going through this also. I am glad I am not the only one. You  know what they say... " misery loves company"  ;)  I hope your lo is doing better.

Thanks again, I will keep you all posted on what happens

regards, Kimber

Offline tammy29

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 11:53:41 am »
Hya Kimber.I know what you mean.Sometimes i feels like your the only person having difficulty with you lo sleep.

Well things have improved.When she wakes at 6am(roughly) i now keep her up for 3hrs 10 mins.She only sleeps for 40mins but then after 3hrs she goes down again and sleeps for 2 hrs.Seems to work for us.It also means im not feeding her too early and she sleeps longer in the mornings now.

So far so good anyway.Let me know how its going.

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
This is definitely a 6/7 month thing!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 21:57:45 pm »
My lo started doing 30 min naps around the 6 month mark.  We were on 4 hour EASY then it all went wrong.  He is now 7 mo and a week, but he's waking earlier than he used to in the morning and I think is overtired the whole day.  I'm just hoping it will eventually straighten itself out because I can't seem to hit the right A times at the moment.  I wonder if maybe it is because he is heading towards 2 naps from 3?

Offline malialeanne

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 22:24:29 pm »
Yes, kwaker5, 30 minute naps can mean overtiredness. Is your ds sleeping through at night?
Malia

Offline kwaker5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 19:15:37 pm »
He sleeps through 7-6.30/7.  He had started waking at 5.30am but a bottle closer to bedtime cured that (see my post in Props!).  Once we got back to a ~7am start he's now doing a short nap (~45 mins) about 9/9.30 and a long one (2hrs) around 1-3.  I'm really not worried about the 45 min nap in the morning.  I'm guessing ~3 hours in the day and 11-12 at night is probably what I can expect at this age?

Offline malialeanne

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:33:09 am »
Yes, Kwaker, if he's doing close to 12 hours at night then you'll probably find his day sleep maxes out at 3-4 hours. 16 hours would be a lot for 7 month imo, but babies need differing amounts of sleep, some more, some less. A lot of los do a shorter a.m. nap as they head toward 9 months or so, so it's a little early but if it doesn't seem to be a problem, ie he's waking happy, taking a good afternoon nap (which is the most important nap to preserve) and sleeping well at night then it's probably what he needs. Congrats on solving the early waking and on the great night sleep!
Malia

Offline heyyue

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Connor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:02:48 am »
Hello my name is Alicia and my son is Connor. I hope you don't mind if I join the conversation. He is 5 months 2 weeks. I'm facing the same drame and I have been in tears for a week because I can't fix his nap issues either. We have been on tracy's routine since we have been out of hospital. He was born Jan 9th 2007. 3 weeks ago his naps have gone awful and I didn't do anything different. He was a text book baby. Our old schedual was this:
 Wake around 5:45 6:00 I would let him coo until 6:45
E: 7am I would start the routine bottle nappy change
A: start around 7:30
S: he would lay him in cot at 8:45 fall asleep for 9am would sleep til 11am

E: 11m Bottle nappy
A:11:30 till 12:45 down for nap
S:1pm would fall asleep until 3pm feed

E:3pm
A:3-3:30 till 4:45
S:down at 4:45 asleep for 5 till 7pm

E:7pm feed
A: 7:15 Bath
S:In bed at 7:30 asleep by 8pm

DF: every night at 10:50 sleep until 5:30 maybe 6:30

Now is Horrific: Started to wake at 4:12am on the dot and 5am at times. When the 5:30 wake up started I did W2S than this 4 o'clock wake up started. His naps will only be 30 min to 45 min one sleep cycle. When he wakes at 4am he doesnt cry he coo's until I come in which is 7am so at which point he has been up for 3 hours. Doesn't feed well because he's over tired, doesnt' do activity time for 2 hours a half hour if that. So I lay him down at 7:45 up in 40 minutes and won't fall back to sleep so this goes on for the 7am feed 11am feed and the 3pm feed I put him down at 4:10pm and sleeps till 7pm. And he's waking in the night which he has never done. We have introduced solids in morning only first week at the moment, rice cereal. I need help!

Offline heyyue

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Connor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:46:28 am »
Hello Kimber my name is Alicia and my User name is heyyue. I'm experiencing nap problems as well. Connor is 5 months and 2 weeks and we have been on tracys routine since birth which has been a god sent. However, it's all gone pear shaped these past 3 weeks. How is your little bub doing is he still waking every 30min. I tried W2S and I always was off by 5 minutes and I couldn't get it to work. When he wakes he doesnt cry he coo's so I never used PU/PD. What progress or tips do you have?  :D