Author Topic: Airplane with 14 mo  (Read 1009 times)

Offline babyre33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Adalyn & Andrea
« on: May 11, 2007, 19:02:41 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to move if needed.

In June my dd will be 14 mo and we will be traveling alone on 2 different 2.5hr plane rides with a 3 hr layover inbetween flights.

The day is like this: 6:30-9:00 flight
3 hr lay over 1:00-3:30 flight (time change here, only 2.5 hr flight)
Then a 2.5 hr car drive :o

Any ideas?  I chose the lay over so she could at least run around or maybe take a nap inthe stroller, I don't knwo if she will though.

Very scared I'm going to be one of those people with the screaming child that every one dreads to be on the plane.

Offline Hawkette

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • We're in Moscow, Russia!
Re: Airplane with 14 mo
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 19:23:45 pm »
Hi there!
I understand your worry!  I will be traveling w/my then 18 m old on a LONG flight in Sept!!!  I just posted the following on our March/April 06  thread . . .

Travel - this weekend we traveled by train to Smolensk and back.  For me, this was a kind of
"take notes" time - in preparation for our LONG trip to the States this Sept.  Well, girls, looks like it's gonna be harder than the first trip when Sophi was 6 months!  The "to Smolensk" trip was on a fast train  - 4 hrs.  We sat in a seat car - much like it will be on the plane.  Sophi had to play in our laps - she wanted to get down but never had a melt down.  About every 2 min she switched from dh to me - and back!  She did take a bottle and a nap for about 35 min.  We brought toys - she wasn't interested.  We brought books - read a couple (very unusual for her  - she LOVES to look at books!)  Mostly, she wanted to play with and stand on the pull down table!  Not kidding - she played with that thing the WHOLE time!  
Way Back - we took a slower train - we had "lux" compartment which is 1st class with 2 beds.  I was so looking forward to being able to lay her down for a nice nap. NO WAY!!  This time she was fascinated with everything in the car and didn't want to sit at all - flayed around if I tried to even hold her.  She was so wound up from our trip and seeing her babushka and dedushka . . . It was 6 hrs of constant movement!  DH was trying to rest and read . . . NOPE!!!  
So, let's just say that this trip confirmed my worst fears that the 24 hr trip to the US this Sept will be a living HELL!  

ADVICE - not r I can give - expect to be tired!!!!  Let other people help you as much as possible.  Take LOTS of her fav snacks!!!!!  Let her drink alot - especially during take off and landing as it helps with the popping ears.  If she can suck on something during this time it would be great!  Don't worry if she has a melt down or two - other people WILL understand and those who don't will get over it!  Oh, and take a very LIGHT umbrella stoller for her  - absolutely travel as LIGHT as you can!  You can wheel the stroller right up to the plane and then they will check it for you and it will be waiting for you as you get off the plane!  You will be so tired of holding her!
Also, try to get her her own seat if you can afford it- just those few seconds, mins of free time for you are like a little break!  
And remember - - THIS TOO WILL PASS!! :D :D :D :D
D'Anna - Sophi's Mom!
"Love never fails. . . " I Cor 13:8

Offline babyre33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Adalyn & Andrea
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 22:07:12 pm »
No, we can't afford it this time.  I'm using credit card miles to fly and are on 1 income since dd's beeen born.  So no passing to dh, and no seat of her own. :-[  At least it's only 2.5 hrs.  I am just SO worried she won't sleep the whole day!!!

Only 1/2 way done reading yours Stacy...I'll get back with you.  Thank you both...so nervous (especially with the way things have been lately, stacy :o)