Author Topic: how to help 6 month old like to sit?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline katemom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« on: May 14, 2007, 18:24:47 pm »
Hi,

My 6 month old doesn't really like to sit.  Granted all of her favorite toys have been the kind best used while on her back, and she does enjoy doing that.  But I tried getting her an activity cube and some soft blocks that I thought we could play with while she practices sitting, but she keeps urging to lay back and wants to play with everything while on her back.  I tend not to be a gadget freak, but do I need to get her some toys that you can only play with while sitting?  I'm not really that concerned with when she accomplishes this or that task, but I do find her getting frustrated sometimes at her lack of mobility, so I thought the sooner she can gain strength, the happier she might be.  If you have any suggestions, I welcome them.

Thanks,

katemom

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: how to help 6 month old like to sit?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 18:54:39 pm »
hi
not sure about toys in particular, but when dd was learning to sit I used to sit her in a nursing pillow, a u-shaped firm cushion which wrapped round her and supported her beautifully. Meant she could sit for longer and couldn't fall backwards so somethin glike that might help? I can post a link to it if it helps
K
]

Offline katemom

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 19:16:00 pm »
Hi Kathrynk, I have a boppy billow, is that what you mean?  It is u-shaped, buti t's not really firm though, maybe it's not the same idea?...

katemom

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:10:34 am »
here's the link to where I got it from- don't know if you are in UK or not.
http://www.johnlewis.com/Nursery/Baby+Essentials/Baby+Essentials/Breast+Feeding/580/230217777/Product.aspx

it's really firm and really helped support her to practise sitting. She sat unaided before 6 months and I am sure it was down to this (certainly wasn't anything to do with crawling like Kaleb as she is 16mo and has never crawled, lol!)
]

Offline Anthea01Charlie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Who's a little nudie?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:56:41 am »
Hi ya, I used to sit cross legged on the ground and pop DD on my lap.  You can even reach around and play with their toys, while sneaking in a snuggle!!  This is the cheap way around it!!
~Anthea~
Mum to Charlie born 05/07/2006