Author Topic: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread #1  (Read 88024 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Re: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 21:27:14 pm »
Ooh, how exciting, a BLW thread!

It's been a while as Zander's 21 months now but I used this approach starting around the time he turned 6 months.  I never pureed but did offer mashed food as well as finger foods - believe it or not porridge, yogurt, lasagne etc. can all be eaten pretty efficiently with hands, very messy but lots of fun and great for experimentation of textures etc.!  As far as the finger foods go, I found carbs were much easier to begin with as lots of fruit and veg are very slippery and difficult for them to hold initially.  So things like rice cakes, toast, breadsticks etc. always went down very well.  I did also spoon fed some things but I used the same thoery, in that Zander had to be in control of whether he put the food in his mouth or not.  Usually I'd load the spoon and hold it in front of his mouth and if he wanted it he'd pull the spoon towards him and put it in himself, I never tried to get in 'just one more mouthful' or coax him to eat in anyway.

Zander is still a fantastic eater and he loves his food (often has seconds or thirds of meals  ::)).  I must admit he's probably messier than lots of his friends but that's because I learnt early on not to worry about mess and at least I don't ever worry that he doesn't eat enough or is fussy!  As he's grown up I've found the most important thing continuing to eat at the table with him as a family (or just me if it's during the week).  He didn't have any problems starting to use his own cutlery, though if the mood takes him he'll still often use his hands.  Apparently yogurts taste better that way!

Have fun  :D

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline KellyC

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2007, 21:28:11 pm »
Oh I forgot to say, Zander was didn't get any teeth until he was 10.5 months old and was stuck with 4 teeth for around another 6 months after that and it didn't hold him back in any way  :)

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2007, 00:34:14 am »
http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/products.asp?pk=1&seq=4

Go 3/4s way down and it's call a Fresh food feeder - safe feeder is another name.  Its a mesh bag that you put food in with a handle.  They can suck through the food with no probs choking etc.  Lilly preferred the handle at first.  Great for banana, peaches, pears, avocado - ice is great for teething.  I prob won't use for long as I'd rather her use her fingers but great for teething - frozen grapes are supposed to be good.

If you are in the US I beleive target has them. Amazon also sell them - about $6. 

oh here is a pic of Lilly with hers..
Aleesa.....

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007, 08:31:38 am »
Thanks Aleesa!  We are in the UK but there is plenty of Tommee Tippee stuff here so I will look out for one..!

Bx

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2007, 10:26:39 am »
No probs Bryony.  There are other brands too - I saw one the other day where the handle was hollow - you filled it with water to keep the food in it fresh and it had a cover.  There is also one, a bit dearer, but has a few extra mesh bags so it's easier to clean.

On another note - I gave Lilly some cooked carrot sticks and avocado for lunch today and she loved it.  a bit messy but hey.  Also found it took longer but that's cool too - I can have lunch with her which is nice.  Gave her some pieces of avocado after so she got some more food.

So I'm feeling a little more confident than previously - I don't think the safe feeder will last very long!
Aleesa.....

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2007, 20:49:47 pm »
At the mo she just loves yoghurt - I tell you she just doesn't give up on it - I have to stop her.  Not really a finger food.....though she likes to play in it...

It's a finger food the way my 2.5 year old eats it!  First she puts all the fingers in the yogurt bowl... ::)

And I also find with cereal or purees, if I hover the spoon in front of her mouth, she'll grab it and shove it in her mouth if she wants it.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2007, 05:06:13 am »
Hi Bryony, I bought my feeders off of this ebay seller in Canada, they are much cheaper than anywhere else even with shipping (well they were then, about4 months ago)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-2-PK-AWARD-WINNING-SAFE-MUNCHKIN-FRESH-FOOD-FEEDERS_W0QQitemZ280124925798QQihZ018QQcategoryZ117385QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Katt

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2007, 05:10:46 am »
Lilly also loves putting the spoon in her mouth with my hand.

She had carrots again today - so funny she had the rusk in one hand and wanted the carrot but dind't want to drop the rusk.  The look on her face was very confusing - a bit like a puppy wanting to pick up a ball in his mouth but didn't want to drop the ball he already had in his mouth!!
Aleesa.....

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 07:20:07 am »
Baby Led Weaning?
In our case it's Brother Led Weaning!  :-\
Toby has been learning to share at pre-school and is taking it to the extreme at home!
Leo has now had his first taste of oat & honey flapjacks, mini-milk ice cream and even more cheese & onion teddy bear crisps (which he seems to love ::))
I can't turn my back for a second!  ::)

Made the chicken sausages at the weekend and managed to save some for the boys - DH LOVES tham and would eat the whole batch if he could!

Leo's favourite at the moment (other than anything Toby feeds him) has got to be toast - he loves it! I've spread some apple puree on and he's in heaven!  :D

Glad to hear everyone else os doing OK!
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]

Offline Tanners Mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2007, 15:28:32 pm »
Hi there!
I didn't learn about BLW till after we started on purees so I'm doing some finger food and some puree. Tanner is 8 months old.

I have a question. I steamed some carrot sticks the other day and have quite a few left. I don't want them to go bad in the fridge. Does freezing and thawing them work or will they just turn to mush?

Tanner doesn't understand the concept of feeding himself yet. He just pushes around the food on his tray - although as soon as I pick it up, he opens his mouth really wide.  ::) And if I put the carrot stick in his hand - he just waves it around and then drops it. Why is it that EVERYTHING else goes in the mouth...but not food??

OH...also, how do you prepare toast for them? Just in the regular toaster or in the oven? Any certain kind of bread or any?

Thanks!
~Jaci
Jaci
Mom to Tanner Miles (born 10.13.06) and DS2 (due 10.24.09)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2007, 16:39:25 pm »
I just did regular whole wheat bread and toasted it like I'd eat it.  Then I cut it into long strips so she could grab it in her fist and gnaw on it.  Got soggy after a while...I'm not sure how much actually went in, but it's a start!

As for the carrots....I'd be inclined to try it and see how they turn out.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2007, 19:26:44 pm »
Steamed/roast carrot, parsnip, and yam sticks, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower florets, and babycorn all freeze wonderfully, and can be reheated from frozen in approximately 1 minute in the microwave without turning to mush! I tend to cook a large batch and freeze on a baking tray so they're all separate, then transfer into containers - the ultimate in fast food!

On a different note, my mum gave Eryn fresh beetroot today! She has the noisiest wind (gas) I've ever heard and I'm predicting bright pink poo in the morning! ;D

Ax
Alison x

Offline KellyC

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2007, 19:32:07 pm »
I thought you ladies might be interested in seeing these photos of Zander eating broccoli and cauliflower cheese when he was 6 months old!

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2007, 23:38:30 pm »
Beautiful pics!!!

I did frozen carrots - fine! 

Lilly had toast sticks iwth apple this am and loved it - again, not sure how much went in but seems to like to suck and chew a bit 9gagged a bit too, but mummy was ok....)  So much fun watching her try to eat.  Takes longer but I find that she doesn't get as bored or distracted as just me feeding her.  I can also do some other things in the kitchen while watching her eat!
Aleesa.....

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:37 am »
Hi, I am very interested in the idea of BLW and I wonder if I could pick your brains please.  Sam (6 months today!!!) is not particularly enjoying being spoon fed and tends to gag but I understand this happens with BLW too and is a sort of 'safety valve'.  My question is whether Sam is advanced enough to give BLW a go - he doesn't have any teeth, he can pick things up and pass from hand to hand and, with the purees he has had, he has shown that he can swallow the food (I guess he must be able to chew too but hard to say cos all he's had is mush!!!).  I really like the idea of him being able to eat with us.  He was fully breast fed up to the age of just past 5 months but now he's fully formula fed as unfortunately I wasn't able to produce sufficient milk for him and he wasn't gaining weight - he's thriving now!!)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ali

ps hi Aleesa, think we've got Sam's sleep cracked now, look forward to speaking to you some more!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:40:54 am by Cornish smiler »
Ali