Author Topic: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread #1  (Read 88040 times)

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2007, 18:32:48 pm »
Bryony, I think I just completely ignored Sam when he did that, hard though it was, and if it went on the floor that was it.  He will still throw a bit now to see if he gets a reaction but the problem has more or less sorted itself.  I seem to remember he was about Katie's age when this happened so maybe it's a developmental thing?  I'd just sweep it all up with a dustpan and brush when he couldn't see what I was doing.  Now I know he's had enough if he starts smashing his chubby little fist into the food/bashing it with his cup and making a real racket!!!

Speaking of the sippy cup, he has learned to use it himself now and it's lovely to see.  Cooked tuna pasta back (very easy - look on the back of a Campbell's condensed mushroom tin for recipe!) and he LOVED it!  Put peas with it and there he was picking everything up and scoffing like no tomorrow - very satisfying for all.  Finished with a Petit Filous yogurt so I think I'm  back as Mummy of the Year for Sam!!!

Hope you've all had good BLW days.

Ali
Ali

Offline Aly Mac

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #391 on: September 02, 2007, 21:24:17 pm »
Hi everyone,

Ali, yeh for mother of the year!!  I assume you are spooning in the yoghurt? we are. I havent' been game to let her use her fingers for that one yet. 

I gave L some raw apple yesterday to eat, to see how she went, but no go.  she broke some off in her mouth and gummed it for what seemed like ages, then refused the rest.  she likes to squish the food up in her hands and she couldn't with the apple so she didn't seem to like it.  I will keep steaming, or I have been buying pie apples with no added sugar, which is great.  freezes really well too.

does anyone find that when you give them food one night, the will love it.  Then when you give the same thing the next day they are really not interested?  I do this, and L is like over it as if to say " we had that last night....".  far too much like me dh for my liking...

Aleesa.....

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #392 on: September 02, 2007, 21:30:55 pm »
Aleesa, I put the yogurt on the spoon for Sam and then pass it over to him and he does the rest.  He's actually very good and doesn't wipe it in his hair any more now  ::)!!!
Ali

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2007, 21:35:51 pm »
Way to go Sam!!!!
Aleesa.....

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #394 on: September 02, 2007, 21:38:19 pm »
Ali - thanks!  I will just keep going and hope she also grows out of it!

Katie is also doing really well with the sippy cup - she can now pick it up and drink out of it herself.  And bang it on the dining table to make a real racket  ::)   There are all these little dents in the wood!!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #395 on: September 04, 2007, 21:52:12 pm »
Hi guys,

well we tried salmon the other night - spat it out. It's the first thing she has ever spat out!!  will leave that one for a while........

I need some encouragement guys - I'm finding that L is really hungry these days and I just can't seem to get enough finger food into her iykwim?  she gets sick of picking it up and gets a little cranky.  I can tell she is still hungry though, so I put a few bits in for her and she gobbles it up.  I've relented and given her some spoon foods - she does help a bit - but baked beans were dinner when the salmon dind't work , and she ate a whole little tin.  I've also given her puree fruit.  Her BM has been much better (as we were having constipation probs), I thnk due to the puree fruit - easier to digest.

I know iether way she is fine, I just worry that she's not getting enough to eat.  she is really active at the mo, maybe that's it.  I find if I jut give her more finger food, a meal takes over an hour, and she gets antsy but still hungry.

any advice?  maybe I need a cheer squad!!!  I'm having a few issues here or ther at the mo, and my dh is away, so feeling  a bit lost if that makes sense.
Aleesa.....

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:16 am »
Aleesa - i've had the same problem with Leo. I think as they're getting bigger and more mobile, they need more food for energy. We're down to 2 milk feeds a day as he hasn't been wanting his afternoon feed.
What I've been doing is giving him easy finger food - ones that are easy to pick up and offering a spoon of something like risotto or mac cheese in between him feeding himself.
Not true BLW but it keeps him satisfied!

Big hugs - you're doing a grand job! Hand her over to DH when he gets back and take an afternoon off just for you - I can highly recommend it! :)
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #397 on: September 05, 2007, 10:23:47 am »
Oh Sharon, I tell you I think I need it.  she is just so exhausting at the mo...she's like a different child!!! or maybe it's just me.  I like your idea.  She seems to be getting fussier too.  even her pears tonight she wasn't that keen on and normally she loves it.  I'm finding I'm giving her lots of fruit as she seems to love that, but always try for the veges first.  She seems to stuff her face (literraly if I let her) with fruit - before she chews it all - which is why I think she must be so hungry.  she gets antsy witht he spoon so maybe a combo will work...just more patience i think.  I also thought maybe a snack in the afternoon might help too.

tried strawberries yesterday and today.  she seemed ok, but her little but is a little red so will stop and try again next week and see if it makes a difference. 
Aleesa.....

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #398 on: September 05, 2007, 17:19:30 pm »
Hello again

I seem to recall someone saying that they had a recipe for sausages that had been popular with thier LO - but I can't find it anywhere...  can anyone remind me what it was, or where I can find it?

Thanks!

Bx

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #399 on: September 05, 2007, 18:10:16 pm »
Aleesa, sorry to hear you're having a bit of a struggle at the moment.  Maybe it's a developmental thing as she's such a big girl now - has her sleep been affected at all?  Sometimes these things go together from what I remember with Zoë - bit of a hunger strike and not wanting to sleep much; as if exerting independence.  Just keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure it will pass. 

Bryony, I have this recipe for sausages which I haven't tried yet - not sure where I got it from, may have been from an earlier post on here. 

The 'sausages' are made by blitzing an apple in a food processor, squeezing the excess juice out, then putting it back into the food processor with a raw onion, 2 raw chicken breasts, 2 slices of bread and fresh herbs of your choice and blitzing again to a really smooth consistency - you then shape into burgers or sausages (whichever your lo prefers or can manage) and frying in a little oil or baking in the oven! Yummy!

HTH!

Sam's been fab today for BLW and he even had some tofu burgers - not that we are vegetarian but I just fancied the idea of tofu as it's meant to be so good for us.  I did them with roasted aubergine and potatoes and he cleared the table (well, almost!)  We loved them too but Madam Zoë wasn't keen so next time we'll have to do something else for her  ::).  Tell you what, wish I'd done BLW with her!  I'll put the recipe on the recipe board.

I got an excellent book which you may well have already heard of and may have already discussed.  It's called Finger Food for Babies & Toddlers and is by a lady called Jennie Maizels.  It's perfect for BLW and judging by the success of the Tofu Burgers I'll be using it a fair bit!!

Hope you've all had good days.

Ali x

ps cheer squad are on their way to you Aleesa!!!!!  Keep smiling  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 18:18:56 pm by Cornish smiler »
Ali

Offline Bryony

• We're in London, UK
« Reply #400 on: September 05, 2007, 18:18:53 pm »
Thanks Ali! 

Have printed out and will try it.

Methinks I will need to get myself a food processor...!  Think I will try it without the onion as I am allergic to onion, so that I can have some too.

Love the new avatar - is this Sam eating ice cream?!

Bx

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #401 on: September 05, 2007, 18:36:21 pm »
I hadn't put the sausage recipe in the finger foods for younger babies thread because I didn't try it with Eryn until past 9 months, but if you think it'd be ok in there I'll add it, with the pork and lamb versions too! Otherwise it's on page 1 of this thread, reply #11, paragraph 3!

For those of you struggling to fill your los up when they are self-feeding, remember that babywhispering is about following your los cues, so if they're telling you they're still hungry, but also fed up with feeding themselves, well I'd follow their cues to have it on a spoon instead! :)

I see it a bit like cloth nappies, I use them, but my girls wee mostly at night and cloth nappies just don't hold it all in, so I use disposables - so far the nappy police haven't been around to arrest me, and likewise the BLW police won't knock on your door if you feed your los with a spoon when they need it! Promise! :-*

Ax
Alison x

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #402 on: September 05, 2007, 19:12:30 pm »
Yes Bryony, it's Sam eating ice cream down in Exmouth.  He loved it!!!  He was actually on my back in his backpack at the time and I was rather nervous Sam was going to wipe it all in my hair - he's got quite a reach that one!!!!

OK, back to Supernanny where they have 3yo twins who won't even eat solids and are on pureed baby food - makes me feel so proud of what we're all doing  :D
Ali

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #403 on: September 05, 2007, 21:31:56 pm »
thanks Alison :)  I'm glad the BLW police won't knock on my door.  I just want to make sure we don't go backwards iykwim? 

Thanks Ali for the cheer.  Today is another day.....I keep telling myself that.  and DH home today!!! Yes, her naps have been cr*p, really hard to settle.  I really do thnk its that she's so active and an age thing.  seems to be going around in 10months olds.  Can't get that book here at the library, but might see what else they have.

We are going camping (hopefully) in a week or so for nearly two weeks.  It will be intersting to see how I go with her food.  I did by a bottle of lamb and veges baby food, as a back up if she washungry also to try to see if I take it with us for her if whe have long days and  i don't cook. no, wouldn't have a bar of it....so there you go........

happy eating guys.
Aleesa.....

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #404 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:53 am »
Oooh - I saw supernanny last night too. It was quite remarkable how quickly the twins took to normal food though wasn't it!

As for ice cream - we went to the beach on Sunday and DH bought us ice creams - well I didn't get hardly any of mine as Leo just went mad for it!!! He was clambering all over me trying to get at it so I gave in - he had quite a lot, then 5 minutes later he was sick!  :( It was a Cornetto though - really quite sickly sweet :-[)

Hope everyone is enjoying their food! Leo's current favourite is Kiwi fruit :)
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]