Author Topic: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread #1  (Read 88021 times)

Offline DJs mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Re: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2007, 20:51:54 pm »
I'm just jumping on here to mark this thread for myself.  Hannah is 5.5months old and we plan to go down the BLW route once we've moved house (this week or next at the latest).  A friend of mine did BLW so I've been chatting lots to her about it.  I think it should be fun (and messy ;))

Chat soon x

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2007, 08:44:21 am »
Hazel - good to "see" you!  Hope the move goes well and looking forward to sharing the BLW introduction - we are also going to start in a week or so!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2007, 10:48:59 am »
Welcom Hazel and Bryony - you wil find it so much fun! ;D
Aleesa.....

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007, 19:00:11 pm »
Hi Hazel, looking forward to getting to know you when you're ready. 

Had a good day today as found Sam likes steamed courgettes and he's actually eating breadsticks properly - chewing and everything!!!  He's a bit of a lazy monkey though because if I'm holding something to pass on to him, he reaches forward, grabs my hand and shoves the food into his open mouth rather than being bothered to take the food from me.  Can't believe it's only a week tomorrow we started and he's doing so much better.  Had a few gags but every time (touch wood) he's sorting himself out. 

Hope everyone is well and all their little bubbas are enjoying their big bubbas food!!!
Ali

Offline Freya'sMum

• Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007, 20:21:12 pm »
Eryn is 1 today! We went out to eat and she had fish and chips and pasta and peas and cucumber and beetroot cubes and half a bread roll (that is a bit off everyones plates!) and ate a huge amount :o! She wasn't impressed with her cake tho (wanted the lit candles, not the cake itself!) - she smeared the chocolate icing into the tray and threw the cake on the floor ::)! Clearly not as much of a cake lover as her mummy ;D!

Ali, Sam is doing brilliantly, a real natural!

Ax
Alison x

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2007, 21:00:29 pm »
I made Samantha those chicken sausages today and she really seemed to like them!  I got DH to taste one (I'm a vegetarian!) and he said they were pretty tasty.  :)  They were much easier to make than I had worried too, which was nice - I froze some for later reheating and some of the raw stuff for future cooking. Any other great recipe ideas to try?  ;)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2007, 21:01:41 pm »
Just wanted to say happy birthday to Eryn!!  Hope that you all had a lovely day
Ali

Offline Tanners Mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2007, 21:20:18 pm »
Happy Birthday Eryn!!  ;D

Thanks for the recipe Alison! Looking forward to trying them!

Ali - do you make the cheese sauce for the broccoli/cauliflower? I'm looking for a good recipe, care to share?  :D Also - do you keep the florets whole?

I think I cooked my florets too long - when Tanner grabs the broccoli they just mush in his hands. How long to steam them? I got the water to a boil and then put the pan on and they steamed for about 16 minutes.

Happy Eating everyone!  :-*
~Jaci
Jaci
Mom to Tanner Miles (born 10.13.06) and DS2 (due 10.24.09)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2007, 21:57:13 pm »
Hi all,

Iris is 5.5 months old now and I'm planning to try this way of weaning as well.  So far I've given her a few big chunks of fruit (banana, apricot, avocado, melon, plum), and she's managed to suck on them a bit.  Nothing's really made it into her tummy, but she has enjoyed squiching things in her hands and she really loved sucking on the melon.  We finally hauled the high chair up from storage and have it set up so Iris can join the family at meals.

I have a somewhat daft question though (as an American)-- what in the heck is a rusk?  Is it what I'd call a teething biscuit?

Oh, and one more question-- it seems none of you are introducing one food at a time, like is recommended with starting purees, to check for allergies.  I don't have food allergies in my family; can I also dispense with this advice?
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2007, 22:59:47 pm »
Hi Sabrina,

yes a rusk is a teething biscuit - didn't realise it was an Aussie thing  ::).  I still do introduce 3 day at a time - esp with meat as her tummy hasn't gone the best with these so taking it slowly with the chicken and the beef.  In saying that as they don't eat as much as normal mush eating I think its a better process as their little tummys only take a little and it's no so much as an overload.  I tried it this way with the chicken and much better experience than the beef (not a good experience coming out the other end  :o )  we alos don't have allergies in the fam, so I am getting a little less rigid with it.

Some more recipes if anyone has them - that's the thing, I keep thinking it has to be more interesting though I guess it is for Lilly.  I also think I cooked the carrot too long - kind of bends in her hands.  I suppose it just has to be cooked enough, but firm enough too - prob trial and error.

I haven't done cheese sauce at all yet (my SIL put in on all her lo's food, but then she pureed all the veges together for every meal - reminded me of dog food - sorry for that image).  I've been using ricotta cheese instead with the veges - I'm really trying to only give Lilly whole foods - plus it's easier!  She loves it.  Maybe if you just melt some cheese over the brocoli or even dip in the ricotta?

Happy birthday Eryn !!! What's this don't like choc cake!!!
Aleesa.....

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 03:33:41 am »
cheesy toast...mmm a  big hit!!
Aleesa.....

Offline Cornish smiler

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 08:00:50 am »
Aleesa, what a lovely picture - she's really going for that cheesy toast isn't she!!!  

Sabrina, we don't have any history of food allergies and to date it's only really been fruit/veg that Sam has been having but he did have a little Weetabix this morning (OMG - what a mess!).  Like Aleesa, I'll go careful when we introduce meat as they have such delicate tummies!

Jaci, I only steam my carrots and broccoli for 7  minutes - that way they're firm enough for him to hold but soft enough that he can bite (or rather gum) off bits and chew a bit.  I get a good size floret and break it down into smaller trees iykwim with a longish handle for him to hold onto.  As for the cheese sauce, it's just 1oz butter melted then take off the heat and stir in a spoon of plain flour until it goes into a sort of paste (may well take more than a spoon but best to start slow), then put back onto a gentle heat and very gradually add milk.  You'll feel it thicken but be warned it won't do this if you've sloshed loads of milk in - slowly slowly catchy monkey!!!!  Then stir in grated cheese and Bob's Your Uncle!  

Blimey, never thought I'd be giving out recipes/instructions as I've always been a disaster in the kitchen  ::)!

Here's a recipe I did yesterday with Sam for potato cakes which I got from a lady on the babyledweaning.com website.  Got others too which I'll trial for you and post (if successful, don't count on it!):

Great Nanna Peg's/Nanny Annie's potato cakes

This recipe is actually the Nome's great granny's, but her Nanna makes a mean version.  They are a lighter, fluffier and altogether more comforting version of tattie scones.  I grew up eating them with bacon as a lovely Friday night tea - thought that they might make usable fist food, and a good vehicle for other flavourings, and the Nome shoved them into her mouth as fast as her little paws could go.

Potatoes - fluffy mashable kind
butter - unsalted, ideally
flour - I use plain, but can't see SR doing any harm

Peel, chop and boil potatoes until cooked enough to mash. Drain, and mash with a knob of butter until most of the lumps are out - don't overmash. (Add extra ingredients at this point - see below for suggestions). Add flour little by little until the dough just stops feeling sticky, but is still light and fluffy.  Place on a floured board, and pat into a circle about 1 1/2 cm thick.  My mum usually cuts this into wedges, but I went all posh and used a scone cutter.  A complete waste of time, as the Nome rearranged them into the abstract shape of her choosing, and then shovelled them in.  Anyway, put a very small amount of butter in a hot frying pan, let it lightly cover the pan, and then fry on both sides until golden brown - it's very quick.

Suggestions for additions - a good Lancashire cheese met with N's approval, and I've also made them with spinach and herbs.  They'd make a good fishcake as well, I reckon, and bits of other veg would also work.

The great thing is that you can collect up the bits that litter the high chair tray, squish them together, and if your child is as laid back as mine, they'll just treat it as a brand new potato cake.  I think it's good "early BLW" food, as it's very handleable, but soft enough to bite and manipulate easily for the novice baby.

When I did it I don't think I made the cake thick enough and it all ended up a bit squidgy.  Sam scoffed it - I held some for him and he'd grab my hand to his mouth and chomp away.  Glad I've got some uses eh!

Best go as this is turning into an essay and I don't want you all to nod off.
Ali

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2007, 08:17:15 am »
Hi all
Been away for a few days so just catching up.

The family were quite impressed with Leo and his 'Love for food'!.
I'm now using the puree recipes but just mashing them and giving them alongside solid food like veggie pieces and breadsticks, etc.
Leo is almost feeding himself with a spoon - he's great at feeding himself the solids!

I've introduced several foods at once as we have no allergies in our family and we've had no problems!

Aleesa - I love the pics of Lilly with the toast! Cheesy toast is another of Leo's favourites!

Ali - the potato cakes sound great - I've made similar for Toby with a tin of tuna and some broccoli mixed in.

Welcome to the new mummys! Good to see you! Hope you have as much fun with this BLW as i do! It's quite good having an older child who is learning to 'share' although I have to watch Toby like a hawk - I never thought he'd share his chocolate buttons that grandmas gave him at the weekend, but Leo's chocolate covered face gave it away!!  ::) It's a good job I'm so relaxed about this!!

I have a couple of recipes for you guys that I will dig out when I get home this evening and post tomorrow!
Take care
xx
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2007, 12:08:28 pm »
I wonder if it would make sense to have a sticky just for recipes... :)

Sabrina, I'm also mostly adding only one food at a time and waiting a couple of days.  The exception was the chicken which had both chicken and onions that were new - I'd already given her applesauce and bread (in the form of toast).  I'm also going to wait until about 9 months for dairy, to be on the safe side - so no cheese or yogurt for us yet. :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:12 pm »
A sticky for recipes would be great!  :)
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]