Author Topic: Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread #1  (Read 88031 times)

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Baby-Led Weaning Support Thread #1
« on: May 14, 2007, 20:26:46 pm »
Have created the BLW Sticky, is posted in the FAQ section - hope folk find it helpful?

Ax
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 19:34:31 pm by Freya'sMum »
Alison x

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Re: Baby-Led Weaning Sticky in FAQ section
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 16:42:31 pm »
Thanks Alison - I just browsed it - the links are great too.  I liked the chart with lists of foods and suggested ages especially....hmmmm....what to start with....? :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 17:00:42 pm »
I read it yesterday, it is awesome!

Thank you :-* :-*

Offline Aly Mac

• Showing Appreciation 162
  • Such joy!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 22:58:36 pm »
Where is the chart Erin?  in which link? i can't find it in the post... :(
Aleesa.....

Offline Ami ~ 3 girls' mom

• Showing Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 03:10:29 am »
 ;D  I loved letting her eat what she wanted.   :)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 12:54:19 pm »
It's the first link and it's the "Weaning food introduction schedule for babies older than 6 months"

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/vast_voedsel/weaning_food_introduction_schedule.html

I like it because it appeals to my desire to have an order of what to try when!  ;)

Oh, and I found this interesting too (someone suggested this site):
http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:55:55 pm by redstarfalling (Erin) »
Erin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 14:26:44 pm »
Very exciting this weekend...  My lo managed to get some ripe banana and chunks of avocado into her mouth!  She seemed very pleased with herself! (And Mommy was pretty happy too!) :)
Erin

Offline Freya'sMum

• 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 19:10:18 pm »
Well done Samantha! :D

Ax
Alison x

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:45 am »
Great stuff Samantha! and Erin!! 

Erin, how do you get that "oh my god she will choke" thought out of your head?  I wanted to wait til finger foods for Lilly's lunch so i have started today and paranoid about her choking.  I gave her banana, and I think it was too slippery for her.  Anyhoo, have to start her, so I tried the safe feeder AGAIN! and she took it.  I really want to do the finger food, baby led weaning approach. So any advice would be appreciated (i'm sure it's me, not Lilly...)
Aleesa.....

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:13:05 pm »
I know what you mean!  So far I've only offered really really soft things like the banana and avocado - I figure that they could just mash on the way down, worse comes to worse, IYKIM!  ::) She's gagged a couple of times, but that's what the gag is for - to bring stuff back up, and she does.  What I did is just cut the banana in a long strip and she sort of shoved it in, taking a "bite" with her gums and 2 teeth.  The avocado was messier because she sort of mashed the chunk into her fist and tried jamming the whole fist in her mouth - it took a few tries until she actually got it in her mouth and not either on the floor, the bib or still in her fist (she always looks sort of startled to still see it there ;D). I'm going to try really really soft baby carrots soon, I think, and then maybe broccoli.  I'm doing purees too - I'm not ready to do the meat route this way yet.  But I'm looking forward to toast too!

I know the pieces need to be a bit longer for her to grab them better....it IS harder with the slippery stuff! I'm going to keep it up, though and just really watch her closely.  Let me know how you get on and what you try!
Erin

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 13:19:43 pm »
I'm definitely going to give this a try!  :)

The only finger food Leo had experienced before the weekend was the little rice cakes which more or less dissolve in drool! However, it was Toby's birthday party at the weekend and Leo got to try Pom Bear cheese & onion crisps and grissini (bread sticks) - thanks to Toby 'sharing'  ::) he really enjoyed feeding himself so I'm going to do some steamed veggies tonight and see how he does.

I made the mistake of giving puree for too long with Toby and it took him a long time to accept anything with lumps in, so I've learnt from that! Leo is having mashed cauliflower cheese tonight (although the cauliflower is very well cooked!)

RIght - off to check out those links.....
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]

Offline Freya'sMum

• 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 20:32:27 pm »
Depending how you look at it, I am either very confident and relaxed in my approach to life, or rather complacent! It never occurred to me to worry about Eryn choking on food, I guess I just trusted that she wouldn't, and made sure I knew what to do if she did! And so far she hasn't, and I think she's only gagged once!

I started her on mini ricecakes, and steamed veg sticks/florets, but it very quickly progressed to all sorts of things. A lot is limited by their fine motor skills, Eryn could only eat 'sticks' until her claw grip developed, then she could scoop up chunks of banana, strawberries, pear, raw mushroom, bread, flaked salmon and cod (things that were too slippy as sticks), and then her pincer grip allowed for peas, tiny cheese cubes, haricot beans, raisins, grape quarters etc.

Another thing that limits is teeth, Eryn got her 4 'biting' teeth fairly early, so found it easier to bit pieces off sticks of harder things like celery and apple, but ended up chewing them ineffectively with gums until she got bored then spat them out! This made introducing meat tricky too, until I found my chicken and apple sausage recipe, which involves foodprocessing an apple, an onion, 2 chicken breasts (or you could do the equivalent amount of pork), 2 slices bread and some fresh herbs (parsley, sage, thyme), then forming into little sausage shapes and shallow frying in a dribble of olive oil! These are fab, they can be chewed easily by gums, and are really tastey! I also made cheese and beef sausages in the same way, but with oregano and basil, and lamb and mint ones too - everyone loves them in our house!

I guess I should emphasise that she didn't really 'eat' much to begin with, just fiddled with it in her hands and mouth, but at her own pace worked out what to do. She clearly states when she's full, or bored with the selection, by throwing it on the floor, I just clear her tray at this point and offer her some water to wash it down, then offer dessert!

Eryn's typical diet is now soggy (milky) cornflakes followed by a handful of raisins for breakfast, cheese and ham chunks with toasted pitta bread and cucumber sticks for lunch, and flaked salmon with green pesto pasta and steamed veg for tea. It is amazing how she stuffs whole pasta twists into her little mouth and seemingly swallows them whole - but she's never choked, and they don't come out whole the other end! Desserts are usually chunks of fruit.

I'm fortunate not to have any food allergies in our family, but I was diagnosed as wheat intolerant a couple of years ago, so we use wheat-free products routinely anyway (bread, pasta, flour) so I haven't really worried about giving her anything to try, the only thing she's not had which will likely become a staple part of her diet is eggs, because she threw them on the floor immediately!

I hope this gives a bit more of a personal insight into the 'how to' process, it's been so much easier than all the messy purees first time around, and much more sociable at mealtimes too!

Ax
Alison x

Offline Aly Mac

• Such joy!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 23:16:41 pm »
Those sausages sound great Alison.  Something interesting to do with meat anyway.

I ended up giving her the banana yesterday in the safe feeder.  I might start with that and progress.  The banana and avocado was frustrating for her as she can't quite pick it up and she got cranky.  :P  Will definately perserve esp with lunch.  She really enjoyed it - more interactive than just giving her mush...though she puts her hands in it all!

Erin/Sharon - maybe we should start a thread for baby led weaning support and ideas.  Given it it a slow thing I know I need encourage and support to be patient. what do you think?
Aleesa.....

Offline Sharondp

• Showing Appreciation 77
  • Toby & Leo
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 07:46:09 am »
Aleesa / Erin - just had a quick skim, and apart from this thread & the sticky, there doesn't seem to be another one on BLW so let's go ahead and start one  :)

Leo enjoyed a couple of steamed carrot batons last night which I gave him to much on while I was getting his dinner ready.

Alison - would those sausages be an Annabel Karmel recipe? They sound very similar to the ones I made (and still make!) for Toby! I have to stop DH pinching them though! They're great cold too! Your post was very inspiring - I'm quite laid back too - Leo has gagged a couple of time, but soon 'righted' himself and I've not panicked and it's been fine!

Leo is really enjoying his food, but still doesn't have any teeth! I'm sure once those appear he'll be wanting steak, egg & chips  :P
[img width= height=]http://b2.lilypie.com/iRLN0.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://b4.lilypie.com/bC7y0.png[/img]

Offline Freya'sMum

• 3 gorgeous girls!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 08:51:27 am »
If you want a BLW support thread, I'm happy to change the name of this one we've started and sticky it at the top of the main board page - seems a sensible thing to do, I was thinking the same thing myself!

Ax
Alison x