Author Topic: 22-month old with night milk bottle...help!  (Read 884 times)

Offline mbruzzese

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
22-month old with night milk bottle...help!
« on: May 16, 2007, 19:07:17 pm »
Hi,
About a year ago, my pediatrician suggested adding cereal to my baby's night milk bottle because she was in the 10% percentile of weight (she was around 25% height).  She suggested that this might also help with frequent night wakings.
We did so (unsweetened cereal), and Colette is growing fine and it did help with night wakings. The problem is, Colette is now attached to her cereal bottles and to her milk bottles in general when she sleeps.  I have tried substituting water, or watering down the milk to make it less attractive, but she is not easily fooled and cries until we give her real milk.  Sometimes she sleeps through the night, but when she does wake, she requires the milk bottle to get to sleep again. 
I would like to end the milk in bed routine all together due to risk of tooth decay, and to end her attachment to bottles altogether and to get her on cups.  She drinks from cups no problem during the day.  I am also tired of drippy milk stains on the sheets as its impossible to get the stains and smell out!  We managed to do all of this with no problem with my first daughter at 11 months, so I feel that this has gone on way too long!
Any suggestions?!
Thanks!
Michaela
Michaela

Offline mbruzzese

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 22-month old with night milk bottle...help!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 19:50:34 pm »
Thanks Stacy, I agree.  What I forgot to mention is that I think all this milk is affecting her daytime eating habits as well. So I think you are right, time to get rid of the bottle. I just want to make sure that she still gets the right amount of milk per day.  I think stopping the milk at night will cure ALL of these issues!
Michaela

Offline taygensmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: 22-month old with night milk bottle...help!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:36:42 am »
I agree, just throw the bottles out. If they are around she will want them. Let her see that they are going out of the house, or better yet involve her in the process and have her "give" them away to another baby.

As far as the night wakings, I don't think at her age offering her water or watered down milk will work, as she is very set in the habit and very smart at her age too. So I think you really will just have to tough it out for a few days. As you decrease her nightime bottles hoepefully you will see an increase in her daytime appetite! HTH