Author Topic: 2-1 nap question  (Read 718 times)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
2-1 nap question
« on: May 16, 2007, 19:17:21 pm »
Hello!  ;D

My dd is 13 months old. She moved to two naps at 10 months. 

Usually she naps for 30 minutes in the am (9:30ish) and has a second nap from around 1:30-3pm and goes to bed at around 6:30 (up at 6ish). 
Here is a brief outline of her routine...

6am wake
9:30 - 10am Nap
1:30ish-3ish Nap
6:30 Bedtime

Yesterday she would not take her morning nap.  She eventually fell asleep at 11:30am but only napped until 12:30 so we knew one nap would not be enough as she can usually only stay awake for 3-4 hours.  We put her back down at 3:30 and woke her at 4pm....bed at 7pm but she didn't fall asleep until close to 8  and then up at 6:15am. 

Today she took her morning nap like normal except I laid her down at 9:30ish and she rolled around for awhile and then fell asleep at around 10am and woke close to 10:30.  Her second nap however was horrible.  I laid her down at 2pm and she rolled around for awhile and then only took a 10 minute nap  :P So we'll see what happens tonight! 

Honesty, I don't think she is ready for the switch (I could be wrong though) as she would need to stay awake for about 5 hours and she is no where near that yet.  However, I am not sure what other options I have.  I know I could keep her up longer before her naps but that will then push her last nap later which will in tale a later bed time (no matter what time she goes to bed at night she is up at 6ish so I don't want to take away night time sleep from her).  I guess I could lengthen her A times and shorten her second nap (if she chooses to take a good 2nd nap  ;)). 

Of course, all of this could be a 2 day fluke and tomorrow her naps could be perfect  :D ;) 

I know I am not giving you much to work with.  I guess I am just looking to see if anyone went through this previously and how things eventually panned out.  Any and all suggestions welcome.

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: 2-1 nap question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 17:47:09 pm »
Melissa when Sophie was almost ready for the transition but not quite we had some truly awful nap days- the worst were one day at home with me when she had 2 x 10 min naps, and one day at nursery when she refused at nap AT ALL! But then the next day she would nap like an angel  ::)
I think this whole thing is really unsettling for them as they don't know what's going on with their routine, their body clock is changing amost daily, and you're bound to get some sucky days. I kind of stopped analysing how each day was going, and sort of shrugged it off when I had a bad day and tried to go with the flow a bit (really hard for me, I am a total control freak!)
Most of the time there seemed to be no discernable reason for a bad nap day that I could figure out, it's just one of lovely things about this transition. The only thing I could put my finger on was that if Sophie had perhaps spent a lot of time in the pushchair or the car, she didn't then nap well and I guess it was because she hadn't done enough physical activity so wasn't tired enough. Maybe that's what happened with Grace?
Come join in the 2-1 nap thread there, we all have loads of horror stories to share  ;) and of course advice to give!
]

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
Re: 2-1 nap question
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 17:56:15 pm »
Thanks  ;D

Todays naps have been going great, of course  ::)  ;D 

We go out about once a day but I always make sure it's somewhere where she can get out and run around (mall play ground, etc.)! 

We'll come over and check out the thread. Thanks for the offer. :D

Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/