Author Topic: GETTING MY 2YR OLD TO SLEEP WITHOUT MUMMY?  (Read 835 times)

Offline desperste housewife

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
GETTING MY 2YR OLD TO SLEEP WITHOUT MUMMY?
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:31 am »
Hi I'm new here looking for some advice, my daughter is coming up to her second birthday yet still wont go to bed unless I'm with her which ends up with me falling asleep as-well, which means i get up when she gets up and i go to bed when she goes to bed, i have no ME time!! my husband has tried to take her to bed but she insists on mummy.
Ive tried puttin her to bed and sitting quietly with her then gradually each night sitting further away but as soon as i get to the stage where I'm putting her to bed and standing outside the door she starts getting up and coming to find me, i put her back into bed with no conversation and walk back outside and out she comes again, sometimes crying for me this can go on for hours, i end up so exhausted with trying this each night that i give up and start getting back in bed with her but i know this cant go on. if anyone has any other techniques id b so grateful as I'm started to think she is getting to old to ever get her out of this? 
 Also she is still wakin in the night for 1 bottle normally around 2am is this ok or any ideas how to wean her off it? :'(

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
Re: GETTING MY 2YR OLD TO SLEEP WITHOUT MUMMY?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 21:53:55 pm »
OK, to startwith, I would go cold turkey on the milk right now.  Offer her a sippy of water when she goes to bed and show her where it is so that she can find it easily.

with the sleep training, you are on the right track with staing with her and moving towards the door, perhaps you could try put down and walk out.  As hard as this is going to be, you have to do it at bedtime, nap time and nightwakings in order to be consistent.  If you do it, then go back to laying next to her it will only prolong the problem and she will realise that if she tries hard enough she, Mummy will come back.  Also, she needs you to fall asleep, so when she wakes at night she needs you (or milk) again.  She needs to be taught to sleep independantly.

what is her daily routine.