Author Topic: Moving a wild sleeper into a toddler bed  (Read 3697 times)

Gigismom

Moving a wild sleeper into a toddler bed
« on: May 20, 2007, 22:17:52 pm »
i'm wondering how those of you with wild, restless sleepers moved your kids from cribs to toddler beds.  gianna is a wild and crazy sleeper.  she tosses and turns all night, sleeps upside down in the crib, sideways in the crib, etc.  we are thinking of moving her to a toddler bed, so we can sell the crib.  but i'm wondering is that is a good idea considering how she sleeps...like will she be falling out of bed all night??

do they just start sleeping more calmly when you put them in the bed??  should we wait til she is older??

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Moving a wild sleeper into a toddler bed
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 22:30:36 pm »
it worked wonders for both of mine :o.i think they woke themselves up on the bars ::).we got double sided bed guards and tucked them in.India is 22 month and she has a sheet and a summer grow bag underneath and is happier than ever.we switched at 18 month.hth....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 23:22:04 pm »
Hola,

Riley used to be a wild sleeper but she has settled down now (22 months today) to a point where she will pretty much keep her head up the same end of the cot she went down at! We are not sure when to transition to a big girl bed as the cot is no problem for her and she's never tried to escape or anything. But daycare informed us that we have to start thinking about getting her to have naps on a mat on the floor because she will be transitioning from the babies room to the pre-toddler room when she turns two and they all nap on the floor.

We are hoping she can learn to nap on a mat and stay in her cot at night at least for a little while longer.

Soph
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 23:52:41 pm »
Hey Lindsey-

We worried about the same thing with Savannah, but amazingly, she's only fallen out of the bed once in the last 9 months or so.

We did start out with one of those mesh side-guards, but we finally took it off after a few months because she was sleeping up against it and we were worried it might break.  And she seemed to calm down a lot more at that point.

Only other suggestion is maybe start out with the mattress on the floor for a bit so she can get used to it.  We did that for a couple weeks.  And actually, she's now back on the floor for the summer because we moved temporarily and didn't take any of our furniture, and now she's gone back to the crazy sleeping--she has a crib mattress on the floor and sometimes is on it, sometimes off, sometimes using it as a pillow.  ::)  But she isn't waking us up most nights so I don't really care where she sleeps :)

Good luck!!!!

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 22:02:02 pm »
Lindsay, You can get the guards to put aside the bed.  The toddler beds are very low and I doubt that she would get hurt so don't worry there.  Also, with a bed, you can tuck the blankets right under, better than in a cot, so it should be ok.
i am terrified to move Alex to a bed, I think that she will be in and out all night!
Let us know how you get on.

Fabulous Avatar BTW.