Author Topic: Help!11 mo old wakes during the night ans stays awake 2 or more hours.  (Read 4349 times)

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Oporto Portugal I'm sooo lovely!!!!
My dd is 11 mo old and in the last 2 weeks she is waking around 3 am and stays awake for more than 2 hours and will not resettle on her own. We tried almost everything, but we get sooo tired that the only ways is getting her up and hold her until she falls a sleep again. Me and DH work full time and we are getting really tired. I myself I'm having some problems in driving my car, because I'm so tired.
Her routine is

7-7.30 wake
8am bottleī
10.30 snack
11.00 nap (in good days)
1.00 lunch
2.30 nap (1 to 2 hours)
4.30/5.00 tea
7.00/7.30 bath
8.00 dinner
8.30 bedtime (she falls a sleep quite easily)

She is starting to walk and to say some words and she is quite active. Around 3 am she wakes and starts babbling for 1 hour or so and we don't go to her. After that she  starts to cry really hard and won't calm by herself.
I really don't know what to do. I read in a book by Brazelton that we should wake her up around 11pm and feed her a little in order to break the sleep cycle. What do think about this?
I'm sorry for this long post, but we are kind of desperate.
Thanks

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
I'm assuming that the two naps are so close together because she's approaching the 2 - 1 nap transition? Yes?

Quote from: hrosario
I read in a book by Brazelton that we should wake her up around 11pm and feed her a little in order to break the sleep cycle. What do think about this?

Frankly I think that's a bad idea. That feed will become a habit in no time flat and therefore it won't ultimately solve your problem.

I would move bedtime forward to about 7:30, as 8:30 pm is rather late, especially with a 7/7:30 wake up. That makes for a long day for a LO.

Does she wake at 3 (or very close) every single night, or does it vary? If not, you can always try the wake to sleep technique.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I'm assuming that the two naps are so close together because she's approaching the 2 - 1 nap transition? Yes?

yes, i think you're right.

I would move bedtime forward to about 7:30, as 8:30 pm is rather late, especially with a 7/7:30 wake up. That makes for a long day for a LO.
We will try that.
Does she wake at 3 (or very close) every single night, or does it vary? If not, you can always try the wake to sleep technique.
She wakes arround 3 almost every night. What is wake to sleep technique?   :-\  Soory the ignorance
Thanks

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64168.0

Here is a link to some info on wake to sleep - I think that would be your best bet to try first.

Basically, the idea is to make her stir and change sleep cycles but not actually wake. You will need to do it at least 3 days, or a week for it to kick in.
Jessica

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
thaks soo much.  :-*   We will try it a see. Last night wasa litle bit better and today we are trying to switch to 1 nap and see the results of that. If you don't mind I'll try to keep you posted on her evolution on this issue. Thanks again for being avaliable.
 :-*

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
Absolutely - let me know how things go.
Jessica

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
Just wanted to say been there done that - and it's bloody annoying!! Dd just grew out of it (touch wood) but {{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you. That was the very worst of the bad phases!
Katie

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
thanks for the support. Last night was awfull. She started crying at 3 am and stoped arround 5.30pm! I think she is theeting (again!) and she was in pain. We've not tried the wake to sleep thecnique because we still didn't had the time to read ir properly.
I?ll keep posted
Hugs :-*

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Sorry last night was not so good.  Teething is a real pain.  If you think it is the culprit you can try giving her a does of Motrin before bed.  It is longer acting than Tylenol and sometimes helps.  Did you try to put a topical pain gel on her gums?  When Claire wakes up screaming and in pain I can usually take the immediate pain away with Oragel which allows her to relax and fall back to sleep.
Keep us posted? 
BTW, do you think these teeth are the molars?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I think it is the canins! We donīt  have Motrin here, but I give her baby Tynelol. I will keep you posted, for sure. I only hope that she sleeps tonight, because I'm sooooo tired that I can barely think.

Offline momofclaire

Claire has those coming in now!  They are the worst so far, and, sorry to tell you thins, but for her, they are taking forever. 
Hang in there.  Do you have baby Ibuprophen?  I find that lasts longer. 
Myia

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hi! just to keep you posted... Last night wasn't so good again :-\ She woke up arround 12 am crying out loud ans took us arroud 40 min to put her to sleep again, after giving her some milk and Tylenol. She wa really hungry because now, at dinner she is not eating as well as before, I really donīt know why. She refuses the food...
BY 4.30 am there she was again all awake, but this time she wanted to play, talk and walk. Took about 1 hour and 1/2 and dh had to hold her tight untill she went back to sleep again.
I tought that she would sleep longer in the morning, but no... 8 am there she was happy as a bunny!!!  ;D
I'm getting a bit worried, because I've been here for 2 weeks now and I wonder if this is becoming a pattern.

Offline momofclaire

She could be refusing food because of the teething. 

She may be too young but do you think she could be ready for only one long nap?  At 11.5 mo Claire, who had slept beautifully for so long before, started fighting bedtime, waking early and occasionally waking at night.  I began the transition to one nap and once I realized that was it things got much better.

What time have you been putting her to bed lately?  I think you should move her bedtime a bit earlier.

Offline hrosario

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sorry for the delay on the answer... the weekend was a mess... DH was very tired and fussy all the time and the nights were terrible. Sunday we were so tired and didn't know what to anymore because she was waking right after going to bed (15  in later) and keep on doing that for 1h30m. At last she felt asleep on my arms. During the night she woke 2 or 3 times babbling and crying and at least we (and I'm so embracer to say this!) just let her cry. What we saw was that she would stand quiet if we were there near her, but she wouldn't sleep. She wanted to talk and play.
Last night was a Little bit better. She woke once and cried a Little and DH was there for a while and she quited down. Then, after 20 mim, DH went there and she started to cry again and gave her some confort and let her be.
Has I suffer from insomnia I take sleep medication and some times I'm not really awake and I really feel guilty, but if I don't sleep I can't work or function.
What do you ladies think?

Offline momofclaire

How have her naps been?  Have you moved bedtime earlier?
I wouldn't let her cry as she could be entering into a bit of separation anxiety and letting her cry will most certainly make that worse. 
Sorry you had a rough weekend. I know sleep deprivation can be rough.