Author Topic: 4 1/2month old sudden night waking  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Beed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 22, 2007, 14:45:25 pm »
Hi everyone

I'm new to this board and really hope you can help!

My 18 weeks old son has slept through then night from about 10 weeks but the last couple of weeks for no apparent reason he has started waking.  Firstly it was every hour or so and I'd pop his dummy in again (although he didn't initially go to sleep with it in).  I've tried feeding him when he wakes the first time but to no avail, he still wakes again.  I've now taken his dummy off him and he hasn't had it for a week.  I did the shush/pat instead and he took to it quite well and even went one night where he slept from 8.15pm to 5.20am (his usual waking time) but since then he's woken at any time after midnight and then either 4 o'clock'ish or 5ish (never any later than 5.30 - how do I extend that?).  I've also tried dreamfeeding him at 10.30/11.00 but that hasn't helped at all either and didn't really think I should be reintroducing night feeds since he dropped them ages ago.  I don't want him to get used to them!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 4 1/2month old sudden night waking
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 17:21:23 pm »
No, you definitely don't want to reintroduce night feeding.

What does he do exactly when he wakes?

Can you please post your daily routine?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 18:22:08 pm »
Is he becoming more mobile all the sudden, rolling or trying to roll?  Could he be teething?
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:58:30 am »
He is rolling onto one side now, yes.  but he doesn't seem to do this at night.  he is definitely starting to teeth but doesn't seem to be in pain when he wakes so am reluctant to give calpol.
His routine is fairly hit and miss to be honest!  i can really only put down eat and sleep, in between this he is on his playmat or in his bouncy chair.  i am aware i am doing ESA rather than EAS but am not sure how to switch it!!!!  this is how it usually goes though:

E: 5.30(!!!)
S: 6.30
A: 8.00
E: 9.00
S: 9.30 (anything from 1hr to 2hr)
A: 11.30
E: 1.00 (with 2 tsp Baby Rice)
S: 2.00
A: 3.00
E: 5.00
A: 5.30
Bath: 6.30
E: 7.15/7.30
Bed: 7.45/8.00

He is also not responding so well to shush/pat as easily in the night and tends to take about an hour to go back to sleep after 5.3p0am feed.  it's all going horribly wrong!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:03:12 am by Beed »

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 11:41:03 am »
Hmm, well, I think you should probably work at getting you ESA to EASY.  If you are feeding at 5:30 and he stays awake till 6:30, you do have A time in there.  When he goes back to sleep at 6:30, how long does he sleep? 

When did you start rice cereal?  Did the doctor recommend that? New recommendations are to now start solids until 6 months.  Some babies really have a hard time with them at first.
I really think you should work on getting a good sch going as it will help with sleep during the day and night. 

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 13:04:11 pm »
he normally goes back to sleep for an hour at 6.30am.  i'd quite like to get him to not wake at 5.30 though!!!  6.30/7.00 would be better!
my health visitor recommended he start on cereal.  he is one of those babies that is ready for it a bit earlier, started last week.  he has just finished this lunch time feed so i'll pop him on his play mat for ACTIVITY!

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 14:12:29 pm »
I have just tried to put him down for a nap and he absolutely screamed the house down every time he hit the mattress.  It's so hard, he did this at 3.30am this morning and now I think he is so overtired it's going to be a nightmare tonight as well.  He eventually went off because I couldn't cope any longer and put a CD with the sound of a fan on....he went straight off.  I know you're not meant to do this but I am now sat here in tears and feeling like a total failure everywhere in his routine.....it was all going so well before, I don't know where it went wrong.

He is also only going to fit one more feed in now (which will be only his third bottle of 7oz) at around 5.30, he usually goes to bed about 7.30, which means he's definitely going to wake for food and the whole thing is out the window again.  I'm getting desperate here.

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:01:23 am »
Well, thanks for your replies and support.  I think you helped......not much at all.  I thought the idea of these boards was to be there when someone is upset and try and help?

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:16:55 pm »
Beed,
I am so sorry if you felt as though I wasn't helping.  I had an unexpected weekend away from the computer so I was unable to answer any posts.  You are right, the idea of these boards is to be there when someone needs help. 

I certainly understand how hard sleep training can be and I am so sorry you are struggling.

I do believe your baby is overtired.  That can be a tough cycle to end but I am happy to help you through it.  Are you stil following the above sch?  I think, given that he is getting up so early you should put him to be earlier. 

Have you tried to do w2s for the 5:30 wake?
I think the main problem is overtired and I believe if we worked on your sch a bit that would help a lot. Post back and I will do my best to help.
Myia

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 12:41:04 pm »
Well, thanks for your replies and support.  I think you helped......not much at all.  I thought the idea of these boards was to be there when someone is upset and try and help?

You are right.. the idea of these boards is to be there when someone is upset and try to help, and I am sorry that you feel you have not been helped. Try not to forget that our moderators and members have busy lives away from the computer and are all volunteers.. many with jobs and children etc. We do have a huge bank of posts that you can read to find people with similar difficulties and also a library of FAQs that can often be of help when we are waiting for replies to threads.

Please be patient with us.. there are lots and lots of people here who are going through the same dificulties and who are only too willing to help.. when they can.

Take care xxx

Helen xx

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 18:12:11 pm »
I apologize as well, I should have noticed that your post had not been answered.

I agree with Myia that there's an overtiredness thing going on, but I would also suggest stopping the rice cereal. It's probably causing more problems.
Jessica
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 08:25:24 am »
Hello
Thank you for replying.  I apologise for being short.  I was at the end of my tether and as I'm new to these boards am unsure how they work.

My son usually has a nap about 2 hours after getting up and normally falls asleep in his bouncy chair, I then put him in his cot so he doesn't get disturbed.  He then seems to have an hour at lunch and a nap in the afternoon.  This week though he has been a nightmare to get to sleep in the day.  He just screams and screams if I try and put him in his cot and is not even falling asleep in his chair, although he is visibly tired.   ???

However, he has stopped waking in the night at just after midnight/1.00ish and now wakes at any time from 3.30 to 5.30.

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 12:02:46 pm »
To be honest Beed, it sounds like your child doesn't know how to fall asleep without a prop. (bouncy seat, nursing, being rocked)  I think working on that is a good start.  I know it can be hard and sometimes we just do what we have to in order to get by but in the long run you want him to be able to sleep without you.  Because he needs you to fall asleep and because his sch is not consistant it is hard for him to get the rest he needs, thus overtired. 

My first advice is to get him on a good easy sch.  You can check out sample sch in the easy forum.  Then work on sleep training, not fun, but worth it. 
I, as well as others, will be here to give advice and support along the way.
Hang in there.

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 20:56:29 pm »
Hello
Thank you for replying.  I apologise for being short.  I was at the end of my tether and as I'm new to these boards am unsure how they work.

Hi lovey xx Big Hugs xxx
We totally understand the end of the tether feeling xxx We've all been there in one way or another xxx You are most welcome on the boards and we hope that you will get all the help that you need xxxx
Take care xxx

Helen x

Offline Beed

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 15:39:39 pm »
Hi Helen

Thank you so much for your message.  Made me feel lots better.

Funnily enough we have been back on track now for a week!  It looks as though he was having a growth spurt - hence the waking in the night for food.  I feel awful that for the first few nights of it I deprived him of food because of trying to find another reason for it and it was almost as soon as I gave it to him he dropped it again (probably 2/3 nights)!!!

He has been back to going to bed about 7ish and not waking until 6/6.30 for a 7am feed.  Although he now rolls straight over onto his tummy as soon as he is put in his cot to sleep and stays like it!  I'm not worried.

Thanks for your help and fingers crossed he stays as he is for a while - I know it could change any day, but will be better prepared next time!!

B
x

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 16:07:08 pm »
that's GREAT!!!  ;D
Jessica