Author Topic: 2nd baby due, some advice required re Milk allergy  (Read 1105 times)

Offline kc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.kingdomofthegiants.com
2nd baby due, some advice required re Milk allergy
« on: May 23, 2007, 19:07:25 pm »
Hi,

My daughter has milk & egg allergies & I am pregnant with my second child. I spoke to the pead about trying for a baby & asked what should I do during pregnancy regarding my intake of diary & egg products & was told to eat as normal. There is only 2 weeks to go until this baby is due & I fully intend to breastfeed again but now I need advice on what I should or should not be eating while breastfeeding. I spoke to my midwife yesterday & she insisted that I should just eat as normal as 'our milk is all made up of the same stuff' I'm sorry but I think that is rubbish & told her so. If that was the case, why would Sarah have reacted to me drinking milk while I breastfed her, she had eczema on her legs & arms, it was only when we tried to wean her did we discover her allergy, I felt so bad because as soon as I stopped the diary products she was ok.

My problem is that this little one may not have an allergy but there is more of a chance it might as there is now a history in the family, if I can do anything to help I will.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation? I know some of you on here have had 2 children with allergies & would appreciate your help.

Thanks
Karen

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: 2nd baby due, some advice required re Milk allergy
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 22:04:29 pm »
I'd probably see how the baby is and if you notice any allergy symptoms start on the elimination diet... Good luck!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline SAHNE

• Proud momma to Carter, Turner, and one angel baby!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • The two little beasties who have stolen my heart!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 01:50:13 am »
My ds is allergic to milk, eggs and peanuts.

At a recent visit to the allergist for him I asked about future pregnancies/children and was told what you eat while you're pg does not matter.... however you should eliminate allergic foods while bf (so for us milk, egg and peanut products) and delay solids until at least 6 mons.

I exclusively bf ds for 6.5 mons. on the milk free diet, but couldn't figure out the other foods so switched to formula... however when the time comes for #2 I fully intend on giving it another go.  I would encourage you to do a little research ahead of time on the milk/egg free diet - as it can be quite limited.

HTH.  Good luck,
Steph
-Steph

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:35:16 am »
both of my girls were/are  milk/soya intolerant.when pregnant with my second lo i was told no 2 babies are the same and to carry on as normal.well India was even worse than Imogen and has a number of other intolerance's as well ::).i would agree that you will have to wait and see after the baby is born if there are any reactions,but at least this time you will know what to look for.we got India sorted out a lot quicker because we could read the signs....hth....jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05