Author Topic: Only wanting cake, biscuits and yoghurts!!  (Read 803 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Only wanting cake, biscuits and yoghurts!!
« on: May 24, 2007, 13:54:43 pm »
My ds is 2, he's quite a fussy eater.  He'll eat apples and bananas as snacks (sometimes) but now, all he wants is cake, biscuits or yoghurts. 

After every meal he asks for yoghurt and then more yoghurt and more.... They're only the little pots, but I think he knows I'll give in to him and get another one out of the fridge.  Sometimes he has his yoghurt with his dinner (perhaps it tastes nice with cottage pie!!) and I let him because I figured he still eats the pie.

As for the cakes and biscuits, that's something that Nanny started!! He throws ths biggest paddy for them, I do try and ignore him, but it's so hard I end up giving in.

Any tips?

Thanks
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline taygensmom

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Only wanting cake, biscuits and yoghurts!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:16:59 am »
Personally I do not offer alternative foods as choices during meals. Our LO gets what we eat, and he chooses for himself if he wants to eat or not. You could save his favorites for a small snack in the early afternoon or perhaps before bedtime, but if you really want to adress this I would just offer him what you as a family are having, and let him make the choice. As for the tantrums, if you do give in even sometimes you are reinforcing them. You are better off saying yes form the start and giving them to him if you know you are not going to be able to stand strong...

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 17:59:25 pm »
Just a thought, if you really cant deal with the tantrums can you offer healthy alternatives.  Not sure where you are but in UK you can get vegetable biscuits and if giving cake make it fruit cake or carrot cake so at least there is something good going in at the same time.

Offline NiknLily

• Showing Appreciation 82
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 18:08:13 pm »
Hi I just thought of something else as well, which relates to what taygensmum said.  I read that a sure fire way to make a child become a picky eater is to offer alternatives during the meal, so if he doesn't want his sandwich and fruit for lunch and you then offer some crisps which he might eat a few, so thinking "hes got to eat someting" continue to offer other choices it will just perpetuate the fussy eater within him and make it worse.  I do think I would be inclined to offer just what you have planned to give him and if he doesn't want it let him get down, if he has a tantrum let him have it and explain that he may not have X because he didn't eat what was offered.  When he calms down ask if he wants original dinner if not let him be.  He will eat when he is hungry and he will soon learn that he cant eat what he chooses just because he throws a fit.  I'm sure your well aware but if he wins the food battle he will start using his tantrums to win every battle  ::)