Author Topic: Your opinions please!!  (Read 1477 times)

Offline bethanys mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: May 24, 2007, 21:22:27 pm »
Ladies

your thoughts please. My bf lo (just 3 months) has some issues and I need to decide whether to explore the allergy route

She has bad wind, from the bottom end :o. It impacts her every night. On a good night up several times and tossing and turning, a bad night means restless all night and crying etc. Poo is explosive and yellow / green. No blood though. Sometimes windy in the day too.

Her sister was the same and grew out of it at 8 months, lo seems worse  :-\. Really getting me down re lack of sleep and prospect of a long time to clear up

Have tried various homeopathic remedies, milk over supply management, cranial osteopathy etc

Without seeming negative the reasons I have not seriously considered allergies before is:

- no family history. Also no allergies in the elder sister who acted in exactly the same way as lo is now, surely she would have reacted in some way during weaning?
- weight gain fine
- no other signs - eczema, wheezing, hives, etc
- I did a diet for a week. Cut out all the obvious causes but did not follow religiously eg cut out dairy in general but not every type of "hidden dairy"
- really does not seem to be a pattern between food and her reaction despite racking my brains, logs etc. Its there all the time, albeit there are bad nights and very bad nights  :'(.So if its an allergy then it would be something I have all the time?

So what do you think??

Also would you recommend the elimination diet or trying to cut out dairy first as thats the most common? How long for?

cheers

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Your opinions please!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 00:22:22 am »
TBH I'd do a full elimination diet (I'm a big fan of the Dr. Sears one) for at least 2 weeks. It might not be allergies but it could be and it can't hurt to find out. Have you looked into probiotics at all as well? We found them a great help for gas issues here...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline MJMom

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Do you like my sassy orange crocs?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 17:36:40 pm »
I did full elimination as well.  After the peace I had after 2 days, I stuck to it.  It was easier to stick to it than to deal with the painful cries.  She had colic like symptoms lasting for 3-4 hours in trying to pass gas or have a bm.  Now that she is older (2 1/2 mos) I've started putting in things that seem controversial as to whether or not they cause gas.  E.g. one source said brocoli could, tracy doesn't think so.
That was going so well, I went out on a limb and had ice cream yesterday.  Paid the price today.  :( 
I talked to my mom who said I didn't have a problem when I was growing up, but my mom was not a dairy fiend like I was either. 
You may not have allergies, but I've read that their little digestive systems can't handle some foods until they are more developed.
Alissa
~~~~~~~~~~

Offline bethanys mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:55:44 am »
hi all

will try diet route is couple of weeks, going away next week and don't think its possible to start whilst abroad

Could you please let me know exactly what to ask for re probiotics. i have tried the probiotic drops with no success. sorry, think i have asked this before but i get no sleep and have tried sooo many things i want to get the right thing!!!

thanks

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:33:06 am »
I'd ask/look for a good dairy-free/hypoallergenic probiotic powder for infants/children. Two good ones are Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children and Udo's Choice for Infants but there are others as well.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline bethanys mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 18:34:23 pm »
Thanks

are these in the UK?

emma

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 19:04:10 pm »
I'm not sure TBH but if not you should be able to order them online.

Offline bethanys mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 21:51:42 pm »
Hi thanks have just ordered some udos choice

Couple of Q's

Any tips on using when b/f - says you need to dissolve in water - do you end up syringing??

Says can use x3 per day if currently have issues - is this what you would recommend? she does have problems obviously but dont want to overdo it!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:16 am »
Yes you can dissolve in some water and then syringe. My LO was formula fed but I know BF babies who did it this way. I'd start with once a day to let her system adjust and you can always add in 1-2 more times from there. Maybe once a day for a week and then 2x if you want.

Offline bethanys mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 21:12:00 pm »
Hi
sorry more questions

Can you just add it to a feed then, at any temperature? Just checking as have used stuff in the past which went on about not too hot or cold, add x hours in advance etc. If its as simple as adding to milk then I will either express and use or use a bit of formula

Got Udo's Choice today. Noticed it says "keep refridgerated at all times", not "keep refridgerated once opened". now worried as it was not kept cool before / during post? ???

Also wont be able to use it straight away if this is the case as off on hols on friday abroad and cant see how I can keep it cool on travel all day - there are strict UK luggage restrictions re liquids at the moment for security purposes ::)

Will ring the distributors on Monday with these Q's but if they are just distributors then they may not have a clue so opinions appreciated!!

Last one..... how long before people have seen improvements??  ;)Thanks

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 10:56:15 am »
I'd call Udo's and check with them as different probiotics work in different ways. You should be able to find a # on the company website... Keep us posted!