Author Topic: Is this really normal?! I cant help but be a tad worried....  (Read 1738 times)

Offline **Clare**

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 134
Hi everyone! Just a little info before I start! Harvey is almost 2 and is a highly spirited (very often grumpy) child!!

Harvey has never sat and played with a toy for longer than 10 minutes (not sure what the 'norm' is.  I'm not sure how many of you know about schema's but Harveys is posting!  Ive always encouraged this as it is his 'preferred learning method' apparently!! So we learn the way he wants to, for example, at the toddler group we attend they have those tiny little playgroup/pre school chairs with holes in the back! These are situated by the colouring table and Harvey favourite game is to post the crayons through the chair  ::) so we name the colours as they're posted through!

Anyway... Harveys also really into any sport that involves a ball or balls and has been from a very tiny baby, loved watching his Dad play bowls! So yesterday after some discussion DH bought Harvey and big brother Jake a miniature pool table.  Ive never seen anything quite like it, Harvey didn't move from this table for 3 and a half hours, he even had to eat his tea off it!! (It was either that or he didn't eat because if a tantrum starts theres no way of getting him to eat!!!) So he put his bowl on the pool table and sat next to eat eating! I couldn't bare to take his new toy away so bedtime was very late and when I finally got him to go to bed he had to take the pool cues to bed with him!! Oh, and a tennis ball!! I couldn't risk him taking the pool balls as they are quite small.

I'm worried, I cannot believe this is normal, I'm seeing it as some kind of obsession which maybe linked to something more serious?! Hes woke up this morning shouting balls  ::) and hasn't moved since 7.30, hes again eaten his toast off it and there is no chance of Jake playing a proper game of pool because hes so protective of it..... he just keeps shouting 'mine' and carrying around the house??!!!

Please help!! Should I let him keep playing with it?? I'm not sure I can bare to take it away but it seems abit odd!!

I have a video clip if anyone wants to see? Id just have to work out how to post it!!  ::)

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Is this really normal?! I cant help but be a tad worried....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 08:28:12 am »
IMO i wouldn't worry .India is 2 at the end of June and "mine" is one of her new sayings.i have just figured it as a new development thing.her thing is crayons in the house and garden ::)...hth...jenny :)
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:35:17 am »
Thanks Jenny, Harvey is also 2 in June and the 'mine' thing doesnt really bother me!! I know its a normal thing they go through, its more the obbsessivness thats worrying me.  Ive always thought there was something abit different about Harvey and have never been able to put my finger on it.  Hes just so set in his ways and obsessive about routine, we sat in the garden for tea the other day and he went crazy, so much so he wouldnt eat.  A few days before we had family round for a barbeque and he sat inside to eat!!  ::)  Maybe hes just stubbon??!! Im not sure though....

Im going to post the video link so you can all get an idea of what he was up to!! Be back soon xxx

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:39:05 am »
It doesnt seem to work! Ill try again later! x

em_here

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 09:14:25 am »
Hi there, my DS Jack, 2, can be quite possesive about things, and go beserk if they are taken away.  But if your mummys instinct is telling you something isn't quite "right", I would suggest a visit to the GP to rule out things like autism, not saying it is at all, but at least your mind could be put at rest

Offline Stace

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • Look into my eyes, not around my eyes.....
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 09:26:32 am »

Hi,

I've absolutely no experience on this but if it were my DS, I'd leave things as they are for a few days and see if he gradually gets fed up with the novelty of the new toy but as pp says if you are concerned a trip to your GP or HV to discuss might help.

Stace x

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 09:50:18 am »
will check back later clare ,off to garden centre :)...jenny
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:03:50 am »
We're off to the garden centre too! Well not exactly, we have to walk through the garden centre to get to the soft play at the back!!  ::)

Thnaks for all the replies people, autism is one of the things I had thought about, and have thought about for a while now.  So much so that he hasnt had his MMR jab as yet  :-[ Ive heard so much stuff about it, good abd bad, and Im really not sure what to do anymore... my plan was to get it done but its so hard.....

Anyway, bye for now and thanks for all your advice, ill be back on later xxxxx

em_here

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 10:12:41 am »
Enjoy the garden centre both of you. x x x x x

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 14:48:20 pm »
hows everything going?have you worked out the video clip yet?.....jenny
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 10:01:03 am »
Hi everyone, Id completely forgot about this thread... been so busy with our weekend away and the kids birthdays!! We have a party today for Jake and a party tomorrow for Harvey!! Both at my house, its going to be mad!! Just having 10 minutes chill time to get my head round things!!

Things are okay... I never really worked out the video clip!! We had another episode on holiday where we took him ten pin bowling, Ive never seen anything quite like it!!! It was like he was possessed!!!

I spoke to someone I work with at the children's centre, she gave some great advice.  She basically said he probably just likes balls!! ::) I laughed but maybe shes right, we all have something in our lives that we LOVE doing and gives us that lovely feeling that makes us want to do it again and again!! Well maybe this is Harvey's 'thing'.  I told her about the ten-pin bowling and she said that she thought I was expecting alot from him to be able to take turns (He didn't want anyone else to have a go!! He had a full blown tantrum after each go until it was his turn again.  He was almost shaking with when it was his go, it was very strange!) I'm not sure though, its part and parcel of life, he has to learn to share, right?! Or not?!

I had a few tears and said that I thought it was extreme and I worried for his future if his behaviours continue, she was reassuring and said to give him time and if I'm still worried she'll help me look for further advice.  I have a horrible feeling I'm going to end up being referred to the very children's centre I work at!! How awkward would that be?!

em_here

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 12:17:08 pm »
Awwww hugs.  I know when my DS gets het up about something he really wants he shakes with frustration too, its crazy.  I hope everything works out OK.  :-*

Offline jennyh

• my angels.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 14:33:41 pm »
hugs,hope the boys have brilliant parties :)....jenny
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline **Clare**

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 14:35:53 pm »
He he he!! Thanks Stacy, thats very true!! I work at a children's/family centre.  Ive been working with a family with 4 autistic children recently and each of them have a strong preferred activity, this is what made me think! I was not worried about the bouncing from toy to toy, Ive worked with kids all my working life and I realise this is completely normal!! But I have never seen a child of his age spend more than a maximum of 30 minutes on one particular toy/activity! He spent 3 and a half hours on this pool table!! lol

I wont worry anymore, promise!! Ill just be aware and observe for future reference!! lol

Thanks for your help xxxxxxxxxx