Author Topic: Why does this keep happening at naptime???  (Read 852 times)

Offline liv'smom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Why does this keep happening at naptime???
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:33:18 am »
My DD is 11wks old and I have her on a 3hr Easy routine.  While her night time sleep seems to be improving, which is great, her naps more oftern than not are so difficult, short or both.  Specifically, despite trying to do a consistent wind-down, when I put her down in the crib she will lay there as if drifting off to sleep and then a few minutes later opens her eyes, fidgets and starts staring up at the ceiling...what gives???  At a loss of what I'm doing wrong and how to help her sleep.  She seems so sleepy but yet can't seem to get to sleep?  Does it seem right that she is half asleep at the end of her feed and while being burped and then after a diaper change is fussy during the wind-down and then unable to settle once in her crib?

Any advice would be great...starting to get desperate. 

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Why does this keep happening at naptime???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 18:28:56 pm »
hi there, could you post your general routine, and I can have a look.

do you swaddle? is the room completely dark?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline tholbert

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 18:41:29 pm »
Hi there.

How long is her wind down ritual?  Is she having to much stimulation during activity time?  I expereinced this and have since cut down on too much stimulation prior to nap time, it has helped.

Good luck!

Offline liv'smom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 16:21:17 pm »
I do swaddle.  She definitely needs it.  As far as wind-down, my routine is about 10-15 min but often despite what I think are tired/sleepy cues, after I swaddle and sit with her she starts her fussing.  Often she starts to act hungry.  I try offering her paci as a test so to speak, but she's not a fan regardless of the situation.  As far as her activity time being overstimulating, I'm not sure.  I typically either walk around and describe things to her or have her look out the window and describe the outside. I also try to do tummytime as much as possible and sometimes put her on her activity mat. 

Here is my typical day. 

E  7:00-7:15 (lately waking at 6:30)
A
S  8:15-8:30

E  9:30
A
S  10:45-11

E 12-12:30
A
S  1:15-1:30

E  3:00
A
S  4:15  (almost never happens)

E  5:30-6:00
A  Bath
E  Often hungry again after bath
S  Alseep by 7:30-8pm

At night eats around 12am, 3:30, 5:30 - haven't been doing the DF.  Should I be doing a DF?

Also, lately she is taking almost 1hr to eat???  She tends to be either really sleepy during feeds or really fidgety which usually means extra burps.  So, I find myself rushing to change her diaper and play with her in some way and start the wind-down so I don't miss her sleep window. 

Really need some advice though b/c I feel terrible when she doesn't nap.  Often though she is not that fussy right away so should I be so concerned? I usually will end up putting her in her swing and she lasts for a while before crying to eat.

thanks in advance,
Joanna