Author Topic: 9 Mos - NWs... Dropping Dream Feed? Am I a Prop? Ideas, please!  (Read 2750 times)

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
DS turned 9 mos on Monday. For the last few days, he's been crying at least once in the night. (It has happened other times but far less regularly.) We've tried waiting to see if he settles and that happens about 1/2 the time. (Goes back to sleep without intervention.) Times of waking vary from 11 to 3:30. Last night he cried at 1:30. Sounded like he might go to sleep so we didn't go in, and he did fall asleep on his own. Then at 3:40, he cried and the wailing escalated, so I went in, and picked him up because the shh/patting didn't work (and he was reaching out for me and crying hard). Gave him some baby Tylenol as he was pulling a bit on his ear and thought it might be teething. Took 40 minutes for him to fall asleep -- he would toss, turn (in his crib at this point) and seem to fall asleep. But as soon as I left the room, more crying. So the cycle would repeat.

DH thinks this might be related to trying to drop the dream feed (we're down to 1 oz at 9 p.m. -- although he sometimes cries then as if he wishes he was just let be to sleep) Or, possibly, to new foods (he's recently started Cheerios and melon, and in fact is back on eating more solids after refusing them most days for about a month). I am worried it might be AP, since I do shh/pat him in the crib at bedtime some nights. Is there anything we can do to break the NW cycle?!

Daytime naps are generally pretty good -- normally one of 2 hrs or more, one of an hour  15 min or so.

Basic days usually look like this:

Wake      6:15 to 6:30ish
Eat (breastfed) 6:20
Eat (oatmeal or fruit) about a half hour later
A of playing on floor, etc.
S 9:30-11:30 (sometimes longer)

E 11:30 (bottle of breastmilk or formula)
E (fruit if he'll take it) around 12
A playing, sometimes errands w/Daddy
S 2:30-3:45

E: 3:50 (bottle again)
A: playing

E: 6:00 breastfed and/or solids (if showing hunger cues -- he seems to have started "clustering" later in the day)

Bath at 7:00, breastfed + bottle formula, sleeping in crib around 7:30-8:00, depending upon how much he wants to play in said crib first!

DF: (trying to drop it) 9:00 - 1 oz.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 14:25:52 pm by ccg01 »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 9 Mos - NWs... Dropping Dream Feed? Am I a Prop? Ideas, please!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 22:55:59 pm »
The ear pulling can also indicate an ear infection - could that be possible?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 01:54:21 am »
It is certainly possible, although he's not been pulling often. Are there other signs? Last time we thought he might have had one, our pediatrician said ear infections sort of come and go... seems odd, though. thanks!

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:07:18 pm »
I agree with Jessica about the ear pulling.  Infections do come and go, we have had more than our fair share of them.
The other thing I notice is that his bedtime is a bit late.  On the nights he goes to sleep closer to 8, are you waking him for the df at 9 or does he wake on his own? 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 13:39:51 pm »
Yes, we were wondering about the bedtime as well. It's evolved to being later (closer to 8 when he falls asleep) as he's started crawling and entertaining himself more in the crib. Previously, we'd start the bath at 7 and he'd be asleep at 7:30. We got him up for the dreamfeeds.

That said, last night we skipped the dream feed (was down to 1 oz for the prior 3 nights at it anyway). He slept all night, woke at 6:30! Just a bit of stirring at his usual dreamfeed time. So now we're hopeful that the dreamfeed may have been the culprit, but need a few nights to know (as much as we can know!).

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 15:43:26 pm »
It might be worth getting his ears checked just in case. They do come and go, but at least that way you would know.

I meant to come back and suggest that you just abandon the DF since he was only taking 1 oz so that's great that he slept!!  ;D
Jessica

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 01:54:18 am »
Well, we think the culprit may have appeared. Can feel the tip of a tooth that has broken through the gumline today. We'll see how tonight goes (applied Baby Orajel and gave some baby Tylenol), but are going to not do a dreamfeed again. Surely the 1 oz we had worked down to wouldn't be enough to make him hungry, right?!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 03:01:41 am »
Teeth, they will get you every time!  >:(

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 16:13:31 pm »
They're the worst!  ::)
Jessica

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 17:48:38 pm »
Yes, we are definitely starting to give the Teeth Monster his due! Tips of both top front teeth are now through the gums. We think we see a pattern emerging: lots of drool for a few days, sudden night wakings and early wakings, a few short naps, etc... are going to try to be more proactive w/the Tylenol (DS is "rejecting" the Baby Orajel) and freezy toys. Thanks!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 19:50:14 pm »
Good! I've always found that once those tips came through things got much better.
Jessica

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 20:14:35 pm »
Yes, although it seems that another tip must be on the way, now... was crabby yesterday and then he woke up crying hard (not the sort where he stops on his own) at 3 hrs after going to sleep last night and it took us an hr to settle him. (I probably tried to put him in the crib early a few times during that hr... am so afraid of AP!) :-(

Of course, this morning he was all normal cheer. So hard to know what to do!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 23:35:59 pm »
Don't allow fear to keep you from cuddling the little guy if he is uncomfortable.  Teeth, sickness and milestones can cause a bump in the road but you'll get back on track. 

If he wakes and seems in pain, I would give pain med or put the gel on his gums.  I think the gel is worthless, except at night when it takes the edge off quickly and just enough to get them to settle back to sleep.

Offline ccg01

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 15:03:42 pm »
The Tylenol seems to work well -- he won't open his mouth for the gel anymore! Funny little guy. Anyway, he is doing much better sleeping at night... but woke at 30 minutes from first nap this morning and wouldn't go back to sleep without help... we are not sure if this is tooth 5 or if he's getting used to help getting to sleep... also having bedtime struggles (have to pick him up at some point because he cries and cries) most nights. Sigh. Always something I guess! Is there something other than pu/pd to use at this age? He fights being put into sleeping position now (when he isn't in the mood to sleep). Thanks for all the tips!

Offline momofclaire

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 16:20:30 pm »
What do you mean by sleeping position? 
You could do pat/shh if it still works with him.  Pat/shh still works with Claire when she is ill.