Author Topic: Is oatmeal allergenic?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Is oatmeal allergenic?
« on: June 02, 2007, 23:06:32 pm »
I'm not sure if my lo's symptoms are from an allergy or teething.  He is irritable and vomits a little bit, but it's really mucus-y.  His nose is running too, but I attributed that to getting his top teeth, but now I'm second guessing everything because he struggles with allergies so much.

Thanks.
Cindy

Offline nwmm

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 23:10:29 pm »
I don't mean to be annoying, but what does the Dr. say?  I would be interested to hear.

Oatmeal is one of the first few "solids" given in the US so normally it wouldn't be considered a highly allergic food.  OF COURSE, I am no expert.

Take Care!!!!!!!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Is oatmeal allergenic?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 16:15:31 pm »
Anything can be an allergen and I do know quite a few LOs who couldn't tolerate oatmeal (or any grains for that matter) until they were older. If you really aren't sure you can cut out the oatmeal and reintroduce again when symptom free.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline fitfamily

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: Is oatmeal allergenic?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 01:32:48 am »
My LO was allergic to oatmeal.  My Ped. said to skip all grains since he had a slight reaction to rice early on.  There is a safe food list for food allergic babies that is recommended to introduce at 8-9 mo min. (re:my ped.) My LO is 8 mo next week and still exclusively BF.  I guess that I should be happy I don't have to do dishes. 

Veggies - Squash, carrot, grn bean, spinach, 'greens', (lima and peas unless soy bean allergic)

Fruits- plum, apricot, peach, cranberry, pineapple, pear

Starches - sweet potato, white potato and tapioca

meats - lamb, turkey

Again, this is what my pediatrician recommended for my LO who is definitely milk, soy, avocado, oat intolerant at the moment.

Offline nikkibr

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:56:26 am »
My DD is showing signs of food allergies (currently dairy, and some forms of gluten).  In North America they tell us to start with Rice, Barley then Oatmeal.  My DD broke out in a rash with the Barley and Oatmeal.  When I brought this up with my Naturopath she said no Barley or Oatmeal till 9 to 12 months!!  They are glutenus grains and therefore can be problematic to sensitive kids.  Try cutting it out for a couple of weeks then try a small amount again.

good luck!