Author Topic: Napping away from home  (Read 1163 times)

Offline MorganAvamom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Napping away from home
« on: June 04, 2007, 17:58:52 pm »
My 4 1/2 month old will absolutley not nap away from home which results in a very upset baby. I thinks she's nervous when she's out. I can't go anywhere with her...not even to my moms house. Help! Has anyone ahd this problem..What did you do? When will she grow out of it? I;m going stir crazy!

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Re: Napping away from home
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 19:15:53 pm »
I know, it's hard and pretty unhandy, isn't it?  My lo doesn't sleep away from home for naps either.  I am well aware that this info doesn't help you now, BUT it gets a little easier when they can stay awake for longer periods of time, then you can make it out and about more.  When ds was that age, I remember feeling the walls close in too.

I recently posted something similiar and apparently it's a matter of biting the bullet and getting them used to new surroundings.  DS is the first grandchild for my inlaws, and I think my MIL takes the fact that he doesn't sleep there a little personally.

Hang in there.
Cindy

Offline malialeanne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Really, mom? More pictures?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 19:53:03 pm »
It's tough but you're not alone. I have accepted that my baby will probably never nap as well out as she does at home. That being said, I need to balance her needs with our family needs, which sometimes include being out. It's just important to manage my expectations so that I remember not to expect a "full" nap when out, and to realize that there's a bit of a price to pay for napping on the go: she'll be less rested and all that entails, but sometimes you have to prioritize and just deal with the results. :)

We have a very consistent wind down and that helps dd to nap elsewhere. Swaddling helped us get some naps at friends' homes, because it was such a strong sleep cue. Also, if it's possible to black out the windows then your lo is less likely to even notice that you're not in his/her room. And, it's OK to do some AP if needed--I've nursed to sleep on purpose to get her down at friends' homes. You gotta do what you gotta do. :)
Malia

Offline MorganAvamom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 20:04:17 pm »
The thing with Ava is that she doesn't nurse to sleep, she does not like to be held to sleep. Basically I just put her in her bed and she goes to sleep within 15 mins. She's great at home...But even when she's not tired she cries when away. I'm thinkings its a combination of not being able to nap and just being very nervous when away. I guess I don't know how to make her feel secure when not at home.

DavidsMum

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 03:19:21 am »
My DS was/is exactly the same and from 4 - 6 months it was really difficult being stuck at home. I bet your lo is a great sleeper though and you are probably getting a lot more night sleep than those other mums who are out and about with their bubs all day.

I have no solution for you but have decided when we have a second bub I will have them sleep in a porta cot at home and hopefully then it won't matter where we are I can just set the cot up and they will sleep.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 03:24:33 am »
Neither of my girls will nap anywhere but their cots. Jasmine used to be ok in a portacot but then for some reason at around 5 months, decided it was her cot and nothing else. She was BF to sleep until 4 months but once we were done with sleep training by 5 months, I couldn't rock her or BF her or pushe her in a pram to get her to sleep. It is a bit annoying but as Stacy said, there were times when we had to work around it and I accepted a tired/cranky baby by bedtime. If she would miss a nap, all I could do was bring the next nap time forward and do earlier bedtime.

Sorry not much help... get people to come over instead  :P ;D.

Layla :-*

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline MorganAvamom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 18:21:41 pm »
Thanks all! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.....I do get alot of sleep at night. She's a fantastic baby at home!