Author Topic: Rolling & tummy time - are they linked?  (Read 840 times)

Offline _newmom_

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 07, 2007, 14:47:01 pm »
Hello

My dd is almost 19 weeks, and has gotten up on her side on a few occassions the last couple of weeks, but doesn't do it regularly or frequently.  I'm assuming this is the first sign of rolling...?  I heard that los will learn to turn from tummy to back first and then back to tummy - I'm curious to hear what experience others have had with their los and when it happened?

My concern is that my dd has very little patience for tt.  I've tried having her on my belly, propping her upper body up on a blanket, getting down to her level and maintaining eye contact, placing fave toys within sight etc etc, but she gets into a real huff after about 1 minute.  So, if they roll from tummy to back first, and she doesn't spend much time on her tummy, I'm wondering if it'll take a bit longer than average for her to start rolling...?  I still try a couple of times every day, but don't get anywhere near the amount of time recommended on the tt board.  But, when she is on her tummy, she can hold her head up almost 90 degrees, and prop herself up a bit on her little chubby arms.

Would just love to hear others' experiences.

Anita
anita

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Rolling & tummy time - are they linked?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 19:47:00 pm »
well I can only tell you about our experience...... dd HATED tummy time right from the very beginning (and still does at 17mo!). I didn't push it as she clearly was distressed whenever I put her on her front, she was a big girl with an enormous head and I think it was too heavy for her to hold up, kwim? Anyway she never rolled over. Not once. Never ever ever. Not even now at 17mo. I can only assume these 2 things are linked!
]

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 02:23:59 am »
Both my dds weren't crazy about tummy time, we tried our hardest to get the time in, though I always stopped when they got too distressed.  They both started liking it about the time they were able to roll, which was around 6 months for #1 and around 4ish months for #2.  Sounds like she's in good shape if she can hold her head up and supports her weight on her arms.  Oh, and both mine rolled back to tummy before tummy to back.

Offline _newmom_

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 14:05:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Now I don't feel as worried about forcing the tt, but I'll obviously continue.  Seems like some los go from sitting to crawling, and I think mine will do just that.  She loves sitting and when I hold her upright over my shoulder - I guess the view is a bit more exciting!
anita